Has anyone grown an avocado tree from a pit?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

The tree on the left got up to 7' tall and someone suggested cutting the top off. Now it's like the limbs are too long for the height. The other one is droopy and has always been that way. I read on the Internet that other people have that droop problem. The one on the right came from a regular sized avocado but the one on the left came from an avocado about twice that size. Any suggestions what to do? I was thinking that maybe I should cut some of the limbs back on the left one. What do you think?

Thumbnail by venice62
Keaau, HI

If the plants are Polyembryonic (several shoots per seed), rather that Monoembryonic (one shoot per seed), they will produce fruit like the parent.
Most old time Avocados are Polyembryonic. Modern hybrids are not.

Wow, and that is the one I cut the top off on the left! What do you think I should do with it now? It is short compared to the long branches.

Do you know anything about the one on the right that droops? I have read that many people have had that problem.

Dave, that one on the left that has an extra little one growing beside it -- That plant started out with one big one and 4 other little ones, 3 that just died away.

Keaau, HI

That would be a good one to try and produce fruit from.

I don't know if you can get the trees large enough to produce. It'll need a large pot!

Middleton, WI

Nice trees!

I've rooted a lot of avocado pits and not a single one has been monoembryonic. I also had sporadic droop issues with individual plants. I'd have two growing next to each other, one drooping, the other not. Never figured that out.

They sure do like a lot of water, though, and are quick to droop if they get a tiny bit dry.

Laie, HI

thank you Metrosideros for that information. Had never heard that before and figured it was a waste of time to try and grow avocardo trees from seed because they would not breed true. Now I will be growing some to see what happens. aloha

Keaau, HI

Yes Stella, it's most worthwhile to grow them from seed. When the nurseries say to only plant the grafted types, that is to get your money!

The modern hybrids are the ones that aren't so good from seed; the old varieties are great!

The old varieties found in Hawaiian gardens work best. Plant as many seeds as you can get, and keep the vigorous polyembryonic ones.

The one we call "Maui Pear" (cannonball shaped) is a particularly good type!

Aloha, Dave

Laie, HI

thanks for the extra info Metrosideros Dave. aloha

Dave, how would someone here find old varieties of avocado found in Hawaiian gardens?

Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

yeah Dave we want to know

Keaau, HI

You would have to live in Hawai'i to find them.

There are likely old varieties in Florida, California, and other locations with warm weather.

How can we tell them apart from the regular ones in the grocery?

or we could know someone in Hawaii and ask really nicely.....

Dave if you find any avocado seeds can you send some to me and venice Pretty pretty please?

Keaau, HI

The old varieties are large trees that would not do well as houseplants.

I doubt that they are easy to find in stores, but one thing to look for would be cannonball shaped fruit.

If you wanted to get serious about growing Avocados indoors, you might try to get a Dwarf Avocado. They can be grown in large containers, and will produce fruit as a houseplant, if given good conditions.

Good dwarf varieties are: 'Don Gillogly', 'Little Cado' (which is a dwarf Hass), and 'Holiday'.
If you Google "Dwarf Avocado", you will find several nurseries that offer them.

Dave is awesome as always.....I just knew you'd point us in the right direction

Ballarat , Australia

Try and grow some gem seeds. I ate 3 gem avocados and wow one of the seeds is polyembryonic and the others might still be. I don’t know yet if the others are cos they haven’t fully germinated yet. So try your luck with gem seeds cos it seems to be a poly seed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.