I went bulb-crazy today!!! Too early to plant?

Dallas, GA

I've been dying all year to plant spring bulbs, and for the last few weeks, I've been filling an online shopping cart from Breck's with all kinds of beautiful bulbs.

Today, though, I was in Costco buying mundane stuff like toilet tissue and saw they have spring bulbs in.

Ohhhh, some of them were so BEAUTIFUL I couldn't resist!! I ended up buying... um... over 300 bulbs (yipes!)... crocus, hyacinth, and three types of tulip (they were too beautiful to narrow down to one or two!)... but it's too early to plant them, right? Should I refrigerate them then plant later in the month? or is it okay to plant them now?

I'm a total bulb newbie but am drooling at the thought of having a yard full of gorgeous spring flowers, for the first time in my life!!!!!

Thumbnail by MrsJohnnyG
Cartersville, GA

Refrigerate in a drawer in the bottom of your refrigerator and plant the latter part of October. You are right that it is too warm to plant now.

Dallas, GA

Thank you... the bottom drawer of my fridge often freezes things, so maybe I should put it in the middle instead... thanks so much for the advice!! YAY, bulbs!!! (sorry, I'm still so excited! :-)

Cartersville, GA

You do not want them to freeze, just stay cold.. I'm loving these cooler temperatures of yesterday and today. Feels like fall! Makes me want to get outside and work. There is much to do! Cool weather and low humidity reenergizes me.

Dallas, GA

Thanks -- I think I've found the solution -- a mini-fridge (it's actually a wine cooler) that I keep in the basement. It only gets down to 46 degrees though... wonder if that's a problem? At least it won't freeze though.

I'm loving these cooler temps too! I love feeling fall in the air. I attacked an outdoor project I'd been putting off forever because it had been too hot or too rainy. Feels good to get outside and work and not die of heat exhaustion!!

Cartersville, GA

I know what you mean. I moved 25 daylily clumps this afternoon and it was not bad. Your mini-fridge sounds like the solution and then the bulbs won't be in your way. I checked the reseeding impatiens and they are not yet forming seed pods.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.