Boring lantanas....NOT!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

This is lantana camara "Butter Cream". It's a sport of Lantana New Gold. It has a trailing habit and the prettiest variegated yellow flowers. They start yellow and turn white as they mature but since they are constantly blooming, you have all shades of yellow in the single plant. Just lovely. Foliage is a nice, rich green. My Butter Cream is planted inground, light shade and is not as fast a grower as other varieties. Did not die back last winter (if I can call it winter).

I found a New Gold tree lantana which I was afraid I was going to lose to the unforgiving summer heat 2009, but it seems to be recuperating. I will post a pic when presentable.

What pretty lantanas are you growing this summer?

Thumbnail by vossner

another view

Thumbnail by vossner
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I love the Lantana called "Samantha". The one you posted is beautiful too!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I wish lantanas were perennial up here, and I wish they weren't so hard to find, and I REALLY wish DH weren't allergic to the foliage...I like the pink and yellow trailing ones. Last year I grew a red bushy one in the middle of my other containers where DH wouldn't bump into it.

carrie, never heard of a lantana reaction. I need to look into that. sorry to hear it bothers your DH.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

It's listed somewhere, but he's VERY sensitive; the lantana was just the beginning, now he breaks out when he cuts the grass!

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Are all lantana's hardy in zone 6 and 7? I got a latana tree and planted some latana that grew much bigger then I thought they would. They were the varigated blooms.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

No, they are annuals for us, as far as I know. :(

The Butter Cream is really pretty Vossner. I've just got two Lantanas, New Gold & Dallas Red. Love them both, the foliage is so pretty and they bloom so well here.
Marie, I am in zone 7 last year we had a mild winter and the Lantana made it through. I have lost it in other years. It has rooted so easily for me from cuttings that I am going to take a bunch in a few weeks and see if I can't start my own plants for next year.

edited to add:
echinaceamaniac, I just looked at Samantha in Plantfiles & ohhhhh!!!! love the variegated foliage!

This message was edited Sep 10, 2009 8:24 AM

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

OOOOO beautiful! I love lantana and plant lots of it every year in pots and in my beds around my perennials. By this time they are almost shrub like and the hummers are working them over big time before they leave (wah). A summer without lantana would be a sad one indeed lol.

By the way, I find the leaves slightly irritating also - something about the smell and the hairs on the leaves. It sounds like your DH has quite a severe allergy problem carrie! I do sympathize - it must be hard for him to be outdoors in the summer. :-(

I am on the border of zone 6 and 7 (depends on the severity of the winter) and one time one of my lantanas came back but that was a one time thing.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I have several lantanas, too this year. I planted them in our butterfly garden and in hanging baskets. Now they are really nice and big and full, but their days are numbered as it gets cooler here...

Now I'm thinking of overwintering them in the garage...

I wonder if that would work if I cut them back and watered them every so often?

I have successfully overwintered Homestead verbena (which seems like a similar plant).

Just and idea. Any thoughts??

T, would you trim them to make more space in the garage? If not an issue, I would trim them in the spring instead. I went wild trimming one fall at our zone 8 property and the lantanas did not survive winter. They were not protected but still, I think it was too much of a shock.

Maybe just a light trimming now and then I'll bring them in before first frost in mid-October...that might work.

I would love to save them if I could. It seems like such a waste to let these freeze out this winter. They are some of my prettiest ever and the hummingbirds have really enjoyed them.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi,
in our zone, it seems that yellows, oranges and reds do well. Whites and purples(trailing varieties not shrubs) do poorly and need to be replaced every 8 or so years. My yellow/oranges are still thriving on pure neglect(except drip system) for the last 10 years. Needless to say, currently I am in the process of replacing whites/purples with the yellow/orange/red varieties.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nice Cream Vossner

Mine blooms nice and then winds up with just a bunch of seed pods. can I grow these seeds. And can you just keep them pruned?

thanks, GE.

Marie, I prune my lantanas whenever I want during growing season, but I refrain from doing so in winter. I've never done anything w/seed pods so I can't comment on that.

thanks

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

seeds do grow but I think some plants are hybrids and their seeds don't grow. But I don't know which ones are fertile and which ones are not. I get free volunteers from yellow ones.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Add my name to the list of lantana lovers. They initiate color harmony and play so well with other plants.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nice ecos Pirl

Thanks, ge. That one plant covers an area 4' wide by 2' deep. Next year I'll buy more of them in different colors for other areas.

Great 'color echo' Pirl! (and good to see your post. I miss seeing you around the forums I've been on lately.)

Do your lantanas survive the winters outdoors, or do you replant new ones or overwinter inside?

I avoid my old favorite, the Daylily Forum, since I was accused of lying last year. I don't need that kind of aggravation in my life.

I've had great success bringing in some plants listed, for zone 7, as annuals so I'll give it a try with the lantana this year. Persian Shield and Pentas do fine inside over winter and go back outside looking good.

My Lantanas are the yellow/pink/orange ones. Sorry, but I don't remember the variety name.

I've grown them several years-with great success, but as annuals here in my zone 5a garden.

I gathered a bunch of the blackened seed pods, thinking I could grow them from seed in the Spring? Is this not an option, or does it simply mean that the seed grown plants won't be like the ones I have now?

Does anyone know if the yellow/pink/orange variety is a Hybrid?

Thanks so much, in advance, for any help.

Deanna

Look at these beauties!

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=lantana+flower&gbv=2&aq=1&oq=lantana&aqi=g10

Maybe you'll find a name for yours, Deanna.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Deanna,
I am sorry but I may not be able to answer your question. Will this link help?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=lantana

The name of my variety appears to be Lantana Camara, but I still don't know if it is a species or a hybrid.

I also still don't know if the seeds are/will be viable or if I can expect the plants to "come true" from seed.

Can anyone help with those questions? And I'm wondering if I need to treat the gathered seeds in any particular way?

Thanks so much for helping me with this. I appreciate it.

Deanna

By the very nature of seeds I can't imagine that they can "come true" unless you had a field where they could only cross with each other and even then the genetics can revert to a parent.

Maybe if you use Google for "coleus seeds" you can find out more information. Good luck!

Good point, Pirl!

Good grief, I should thought of that! It's not like I'm new to seed starting-been doing it for40+ years. I swear that sometimes my brain does not function properly. LOL

Are coleus seeds similar to Lantana? If so, I don't have a problem here, as I've grown lots of coleus from seeds.

I don't know but, once again, maybe Google would show each seed and you could see the differences, if any.

My husband is the seed grower for about 40 years, too, except for the three basil plants I raise each year from seed and a package of dahlia seeds.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Deanna, with your Lantana Camera those are one of the few lantanas that are viable and will come true :) I'm not much help on growing them I never have much luck with growing lantana seeds sorry you would have to go to the 'seed germination' forum and ask their ways of germinating them.

I had the red and yellow lantana last year and it reseeded for me the first time ever I was so excited when I saw the little plants coming up but didn't think they would have enough time to bloom they came up so late, the first plants that popped up are only about 6" high now but have blooms all over them :) I bought the same plant this year and managed to save a few seeds to try downstairs this winter. I have the name tag somewhere but couldn't find it but the seeds came true on that one too.

Lantana seeds are so hard to start for me in the last few years I think I have had one type to germinate for me but don't remember which it was I'm thinking it may have been lantana camera. I didn’t realize there were so many lantana cameras I don’t know if all of those different type seeds are viable but I do know the orange one is.

From looking at the link that Pirl provided I’m thinking I had the Dallis Red that sounded familiar.

I wouldn’t bring them in the house for the winter they are very susceptible to white flies but if anyone can do it with success I bet Pirl could :) She knows all the tricks in the book LOL

Vossner your lantana is pretty, I haven't run across the tree ones here we don't have much of a variety of them here we do have the trailing ones. I bought one a couple of years ago and didn't realize it was a trailing one and planted it in a flower bed big mistake lol I ended up trading it and am a little more careful reading my tags now never knew they had trailing ones lol

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Deanna,
if you want to stay true to the plant, consider stem cuttings. I am enclosing a link. In my garden, I have tons of wildlife(butterflies,bees,hummers,dragonflies...etc). I noticed that some branches of lantanas started to flower different colors. Perhaps natural hybridization. I am not sure.
I usually spray anything I bring indoors with neem spray for prophylaxis. As a result the indoor plants don't seem to get diseases. It is organic.
In india, they have neem plants around so that diseases are kept to a minimum. I have had one but it died in our winter. I have ordered seeds now. I will experiment and see if having those plants will lower the other plant diseases.
http://www.floridata.com/ref/L/lant_c.cfm

Wow,
Great information!

I found a good hort. site online, and copied and pasted a bunch of the info. It answered several of my questions.

I copied and pasted the link to a post here, but when I previewed it, all it was was the sign in page to that newsletter, so I edited it off the post.

If it wouldn't be to presumptious, I'd like to show you all some of the intro and several of the Q&A's that I saved to a notepad page.

Here you go:

Lantana propagation
How can I propagate it?

Lantana should be propagated in mid-summer and fall from greenwood or semi- ripe stem

cuttings. Make 3 inch cuttings off non-flowering shoots. Strip off any leaves that come in contact

with rooting medium and the soil. Dip the ends in a hormone rooting medium and insert in a

moist, well drained, soil made of peat moss and sand or perlite. Cuttings also root well in

rockwood plugs. Cover the container with a clear plastic bag and keep in a spot with bright

filtered light. It should root in 2-3 weeks. When you see new growth emerging uncover your

container and place it in brighter light and start to lightly fertilize every 2 weeks to promote

healthy new growth. When the plants have about 2-3 inches of new growth, pinch the tips to

encourage bushy growth. The following spring repot plants in individual pots. Young rooted

plants usually bloom more profusely than older plants.

Lantana can also be started from seeds sown early in the spring. Plant them in late winter.

Germination for lantana is 42-60 days and seeds should be planted 1/8″ deep in peaty soil.

Another trick is to soak the seeds in hot water for 24 hrs. before planting.

Seed grown plants may have a variation in color and quality of the original plant. Newer varieties

of hybrids produce less seeds which may be sterile.
The above method of propagation may be used on many other plants.

Bert Lindsey
September 27th, 2006 at 2:18 am · Reply
I have several colors and sizes of lantana that did well this year in zone 7. Now they all have

berries, from new to wrinkled and black. What would the optimal time be to pick these berries for

planting next year; new and green/red, or dry and black?

thanks ahead of time for the reply

The dry and black seeds should be ripe enough to pick. They are poisonous so keep away from

children and pets.

Hi Tessa,
Yes, Lantana need warm temperatures (72-76F) and light to germinate. When planting press the

seed lightly into soil. Some sources say sprinkle 1/8″ of vermiculite over the seeds. If you

sprinkled some fine compost, I wouldn’t worry about it. Hopefully, some of it will wash off or sink

into the soil. Place the container in a plastic bag or cover it with plastic wrap to maintain moisture

and humidity. Keep the container under fluorescent lights for 14-16 hrs/day at 2″-3″ height. It

should take 42-60 days to germinate.

Hi Marsha,
Yes, lantana can be grown from seeds once they are mature. They may not produce the same

color flowers as the original plant.

April 23rd, 2009 at 7:40 pm · Reply
I live in Ohio. I dug up and brought my lantana into the garage last fall. Now I have 6 to 8 inch

stems sprouting all over the plants. Should I pinch back this new growth when I plant in the the

garden? (We had a rain/snow mix the other day so I am waiting a few weeks to plant).

Hi Diana
Yes, pinch back the stems. By trimming your lantana will be bushier and fuller when starts to

grow in the garden.

Grow Lantana from seed
Hello,

I just now sowed some Lantana seed I purchased from Thompson & Morgan. I soaked them

overnight in warm water. When I went to sow them I noticed that only a few had sunk to the

bottom of the container. Not sure if this is a viability problem or not. I sifted some fine compost on

top with a sifter and set them on a heat mat with a thermostat set to 70. I have read that they need

high light to germinate- is this true? Thanks and happy gardening!

Hi Tessa,
Yes, Lantana need warm temperatures (72-76F) and light to germinate. When planting press the

seed lightly into soil. Some sources say sprinkle 1/8″ of vermiculite over the seeds. If you

sprinkled some fine compost, I wouldn’t worry about it. Hopefully, some of it will wash off or sink

into the soil. Place the container in a plastic bag or cover it with plastic wrap to maintain moisture

and humidity. Keep the container under fluorescent lights for 14-16 hrs/day at 2″-3″ height. It

should take 42-60 days to germinate.

Lisa
February 13th, 2009 at 10:29 am · Reply
Lantana from seed
I am not quite sure how or when to plant lantana seeds.

Hi Lisa
The seeds are black when they are ripe. Plant them in late winter.Germination for lantana is

42-60 days and seeds should be planted 1/8″ deep in peaty soil. Another trick is to soak the seeds

in hot water for 24 hrs. before planting.

Celia Walker
July 18th, 2007 at 10:30 am · Reply
LANTANA FROM SEEDS
I live in central New Jersey. Each year I spend a lot of money on lantana. How can I perserve them

from year to year? Will they flourish indoors? How should I handle the seeds and when should

they be planted & how?

You can bring them into the basement to winter over in a semi-dormant stage , a garage would

also work as long as temps don’t get below freezing . Another alternative is to overwinter them

indoors in a sunny window or take semi-ripe cuttings in late summer to start new plants. The

seeds are black when they are ripe. Plant them in late winter.Germination for lantana is 42-60

days and seeds should be planted 1/8″ deep in peaty soil. Another trick is to soak the seeds in hot

water for 24 hrs. before planting.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Latana may be considered boring in the South, but here in the Midwest, we are only just starting to find it available. Vossner, Butter Cream looks like a lovely one and Pirl, your color combinations are outstanding. Here is one I overwintered in my kitchen window last winter along with the coleus Rustic Orange.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess

thanks, lincoln. I have made a mental note of pairing lantana w/ coleus. what a lovely combo you have.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

As you can tell by the brown leaves in this photo, Fall has arrived, but the lantana is still doing well. This one I planted in the middle of some pansies last Spring and as the heat of summer arrived, the pansies died and the lantana took over their place.

susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess

Are there any lantanas with royal purple (not violet) in them?

Love your combo, lincolnitess.

not that I'm aware. you mean a purple like buddlea right? if yes, I've never seen such color in lantana

Yes, that's the color I mean. Rats!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.