Buckeyes?

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i am not from ohio. i have a friend who has been looking for some buckeye trees. one gallon or 2 but seems we cant find any. or seeds. i aksed on the seed trading forum and sent a few private emails asking but seeds are just as elusive. hes wanting red but any will do right now.

hes planning on moving soon and wanted to take a few with him to grow. but i myself cant find any either. does any one know where to buy seeds from or anything? seems the buckeye state wants to hold on to them. Marie

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Let me look around.
I can get Bottlebrush Buckeye seeds for sure.
They are a flowering bush Buckeye.
Tree Buckeyes are kind of scarce but I'll check.

Ric

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

sent dmail. and thanks

Waddy, KY

Ric, do bottlebrush buckeyes grow well from seed? I think they're so neat.

Janet

Williamsburg, OH(Zone 6a)

The seeds on Buckeyes will start "falling" in October which might be why you are having trouble finding them. They also only have a 50% germination rate which could explain the lack of tree stock and take 3-5 years before they bloom.

I will have Yellow Buckeye seeds available soon if interested dmail me.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Janet the Bottlebrush seed have to be planted almost immediately.
They should be ripe here in a week or two.
I'll ask my neighbor for a few and pot them up for you if you'd like.

Thanks for the Buckeye info Denise.
We're still planning on hitting the Mum Sale.
See you there!

Ric

Waddy, KY

Ric, I'd love to have some! You don't see them around here in the landscape. I can only think of one place I've seen them.

Janet

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Janet I going to check w/ Joyce.
She and Bertie have acres of old woods and there are probably some Buckeye trees in there.
It will be after the RU probably before they are ready.

The Bottlebrush is my neighbor's bush.
He promised me some seeds but they are not a real prolific in that regard.
Probably a good thing as they grow so quickly....lol!

Ric

Waddy, KY

I'd get some bottlebrush seeds from the place down here where I've seen them but the woman that owns the place is less than hospitable and I don't deal with her. :-)

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Bertie and I both have Buckeye trees. If we can beat the squirrels to them, you are welcome to have the seeds which are...buckeyes! I planted up 5 buckeye tree seedlings in the Spring, but all that is left is one pot and I haven't looked to see if it's still alive or not. If it is, you're welcome to that as well.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Im., If you check your d-mail, I forwarded links to 2 or 3 mail order buckeye sources. I think they are mostly southern growers/nurseries. I think Shooting Star in Georgetown is one of them. She bought out Earthscapes stock of Red Buckeyes when they went out of business. They were one of the only stockists around here.

I also went over to Bard's Nursery and asked Mr. Bard about them. He said that surprisingly Buckeyes are fairly rare in Ohio, especially the Red Buckeye. He also said they are rare on the market because the seed is difficult to come by, and appears difficult to germinate. Nevertheless, there are a few buckeyes around like at Joyce's. He said if I find some to purchase I should try to get ones that are bred in Ohio.

Interestingly, he said Dogwoods are not stocked these days (very much) at nurseries. A bit out of fashion with the Landscapers because they are fussy about our clay soil and the virus (anthranose?). We have an old Dogwood in our yard and I think I'd better take care of it. I did try to plant 3 other small ones (Spring Grove cultivars) and they all died.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i got the links thanks.

seems these things are just hard to get. dogwoods here are not stocked much either. the ones on the market usually dont bloom like they used too. which is a problem in itself. and yes the clay soil we have dont help the m none either.

another thing thats sad to see leave the market is olelanders. they say the diseases in them are stunting the species and in years to come these wont be on the market because they cant fight them.

i have a white dogwood and 2 pinks and none have bloomed yet. had smaller ones die and gave up on them.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

There is a grower/retailer that comes to the Cincinnati Flower Show every year.
He specializes in native midwest trees and shrubs.
I'll have to find the catalogue and see if I can find the vendor's name.

Also Marvin's Organic Gardens stocks Aesculus pavia, Red Buckeye.

I'll check w/ Mark Paul next weekend and see if he has any contacts.
His speciality is designing w/ trees so......

Ric

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Ooooo Ric, where are you going to see Mark Paul?

I checked Marie, and the Buckeye tree I potted is dead. Guess I should have been paying more attention to it! Didn't know they were rare. My Buckeye is not a red one, it is yellow. Hopefully between Bertie and I we can help you out with the little buckeyes.

Want to hear a funny story? When I was a teenager, my boyfriend gave me a buckeye for luck. I was soooooo in love, that I put that buckeye next to my heart (in my bra). Well, wasn't long until....you guessed it, the thing sprouted from the heat of my body. The things we do for love....

Oh, goodness, joycet! What a story! You must have been really 'hot' for him!

We have several large-ish what I call 'Buckeye' trees. I think they are 'aesculus glabra' or Ohio Buckeyes and have the yellow flowers, too.

(I don't think they are horsechestnuts, but....?)

There is also another Buckeye tree at our rental house and it has red flowers, but now that I read discussions, it probably is a red horsechestnut or even a red 'bottlebrush buckeye'.

Different kinds of buckeyes: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Hippocastanaceae/Aesculus/none/cultivar/0/

I am getting confused about all the different buckeyes, but if anyone wants a few of the yellow flowerered aesculus glabra's nuts/seeds, I will be happy to try to collect some. (I haven't seen many hummingbirds on them, but they are out of sightline of my windows so I can't be sure.)

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, I just walked the tree line and out of about 8 Buckeye trees, only one had seeds. What's with that?

Hot for him....T....that was funny!

I noticed last year we had very few 'buckeyes' under the trees here. I thought the squirrels got them, but maybe the lack of them can be explained by the point made by my nurseryman, Mr. Bard, who said he heard good seeds were difficult to find and germination didn't always work. (Maybe he has to stick the seeds under his T-shirt to get them to germinate. Should I give him your tip??)

imzadi, interesting about the Oleanders not being stocked too because I find them so pretty when in bloom, but I think that has a lot to do with the extreme toxic nature of the plant too. When we lived in Pasadena CA two little kids died from playing around them (I can't remember if they ate some of the leaves). Nowadays garden centers in Pasadena are reluctant to stock them like they used to because of liability issues.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Sure, you can offer him my tip, T. :o)

I love the Oleanders. When we go to Hawaii, it's always one of my favorite things to see, the hedges of Oleanders. Wish they thrived in zone 6, cause I'd surely love to see them growing here. Didn't know about the toxic nature of them though...

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

imzadi the bottlebrush buckeye nuts are about 2 weeks out.
The cool weather slowed the ripening.
Eric did say this is far later than usual.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

ok thanks will keep watch on the thread.

i love the olelander i have but tried to fonmd another this year and it was impossible. lowes usually carries them and they didnt this year. which was sad

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Soon as I get Eric's OK I'll plop them in the mail.
He's been raising them for years and the squirrels LOVE them....
So it's a race when they ripen he says....lol!

Ric

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

oh my. hehe

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

Still need some buckeyes? I have an Aesculus glabra outside my bedroom window that blooms pinkish-red (the hummingbirds adore it). It has a few nuts that look almost ready to drop.

DM me if interested.

Chippewa Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

FYI- Nature Hills Nursery (on-line) has several sizes of Ohio Buckeye trees in stock. I think, for $25 or so.

Hope this helps.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.