Morning Glories 2009 #13

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1031287/#new

Feel free to add your photos and comments so we can continue to the end of the season.

Cocoa Chocolate I got from Becky

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Gorgeous color Ronnie.

Mt Fuji no Sora

Thumbnail by patootie
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I love both of those blooms.. I THINK I missed a flush of Josephs pure white this am.. it is either that or the alba I have not seen bloom from all ten seeds I have planted.. any thoughts on this one shot I got tonight?

Thumbnail by joeswife
Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful cocoa chocolate and Mt Fuji No Sora. I hope your vines churn out more blooms soon.

This is another kikyo speckled.

Thumbnail by gardener2005

I think I`m going crazy with the kikyos....

Lavender form of Kikyo Ice.

My grand finale of the year a Large FLower Dusky Fuji.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Nice ones Karen!! Love the Dusky Fuji!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Fuji pink, this is always full of blooms!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Hein no Umi...the flowers never get to open all the way without ripping or looking ragged. Sometimes I think they are to big and if the conditions aren't perfect...But I still luv them!!

Gautier, MS

Very nice blooms Karen and Ronnie, Jackie & Debra too!

Finally got a decent pic to show, twins on Dracula!

This message was edited Sep 1, 2009 11:10 AM

Thumbnail by helenahkh

I like the frilly ones torn blooms and all because they have a personality all their own! It`s okay to be a little "rough around the edges" as long as you are loved it is ok. :)

Nice Fuji Pink and Dracula is so cool!!! Karen

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

this is so pretty. these seeds came from Arlene. The seeds package said Light Pink with blue star, but here is what it looks like. It is a very soft and light pink. I've only had 2 blooms on this vine.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

I love the dusky Mt Fuji too Karen. Really nice.

Ronnie. Love the pink Fuji, please save me a couple of seeds.

Debra, that's the way my buds look when I've let the soil get too dry.
Wasted buds. I hate it when I do that. They might open tomorrow
or maybe not.

Oops. took too long to post so missed the new pics.
Love the Drac Helena, one of my fave's.
Nice pink purpurea LiliMerci

Becky's Blue Blizzard. I love this one. It's throwing some disfigured blooms too. Don't know what's up with that.

Thumbnail by patootie

Pres Bush, the blooms still lovely even though the leaves are eat up
with spider mites.

Thumbnail by patootie

This may or may not be Merremia aurea, a yellow, or so I thought. A member here
was kind enough to share these sds with me. I grew them
thinking they are M aurea. No sign of yellow in the blooms. I
also thought aurea was a larger bloom. These just slightly over 1/2 inch.
Is there such a glory as M lutea and I possibly have these 2 mixed up?

Thumbnail by patootie
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Patootie;

That looks like merremia siberica which can be found in China

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Love the Drac Helena!

Jackie I like your Blue Blizzard, it is darker than mine!! I'll put your name on a few Fuji Pink seeds.

Thanks Karen, I'm a little rough around the edges too sometimes!!

Lilli I like your pink bloom, so soft looking!

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

This message was edited Jul 2, 2010 1:46 PM

(Zone 7a)

Lili, glad to see the seeds bloom that I sent you. They've traveled through quite a few gardeners between Arlene and you - so delicate - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7013076

karen

This message was edited Sep 1, 2009 5:45 PM

(Zone 7a)

Jon, can you send a picture of your vine in its pot? Maybe that'll help us to diagnose your situation better.

Offhand, how's the drainage in your pot? Is the potting medium very porous, with humusy organic type of material like compost? Those large particles of which Perlite is composed enable more air flow throughout the potting medium while at the same time absorbing water for later release. I understand roots need oxygen, too.

Watering with a tablespoon or so of hydrogen peroxide to 1 gallon of water will also oxygenate your plant especially around the roots, while retarding growth of pathogens at the same time.

Does your pot dry out between waterings? That's a good thing, if it doesn't stay dry too long.

I'm sure others have more ideas - hope we can help you

karen

edited to change "roots near oxygen" to "roots need oxygen"

Follow the link for some great references on using hydrogen peroxide (H202) here - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7014692

This message was edited Sep 1, 2009 7:26 PM

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Thanks Karen, The drainage is very good and the mix is pretty much as you describe above. I have not
allowed the container to dry out completely, maybe that's why! I will take some photos later when It's light as
only 6 30 am here! I will have to find out the Japanese words for hydrogen peroxide, LOL.
The joys of a novice!

Jon

(Zone 7a)

Jon,

It could be any number of things - experts have their joys too - lol! (gotta say that I am more novice than expert - always something new to learn)

Hope more folks chime in here

karen

(Zone 7a)

Jon, there are some great links with very comprehensive information on using hydrogen peroxide here on Rjuddharrison's blog - http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/rjuddharrison/1923/ - scroll down to where he writes, "H202 FORMULAS AND LINKS (Hydrogen Peroxide) "

They are all great, and include a link to Yardqueen's page on H202, which I liked very much - I confess I haven't read them all.

(Hydrogen peroxide's chemical formula is written H202 - with the 2s normally written in a subscript after the H and 0 - I wonder how the Japanese represent the chemical formula for hydrogen peroxide?)

Household 3% is the strength of H202 most commonly used by DG gardeners. The ratio of H202 to water is very flexible, but be careful with the ratio if you use a different - especially a stronger - strength.

Karen

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Wow! Everyone sure has some beauties posted today! I can't even pick a favorite! They are all so lovely!

I wonder if hydrogen peroxide would kill rust fungus?

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

H2 O2 is the universal chemcal formula for hydrogen peroxide so no problem there. Asking for it however is
an entirely different kettle of fish, something like; Sumimasen, H ni O ni kudasai, Lol this will be loads of fun!
Industrial strength starts at around 20% vol but I doubt they would sell that at the drugstore.
Thanks Karen,

Jon

It may very well be Merremia sibirica. Thank you for the reply RSM.
I will write to the person who shared the seeds with me.
Jon, I do hope you send a pic of your vine, a pic is sometimes
worth a thousand words and all that.
Jon maybe your Pearly gates will start blooming as soon as the night time temps start to cool down some. I'm still waiting on Wedding Bells,
a tri-color.
Ronnie send us a pic of your Blue Blizzard. I would love to see the
color. Thank you for saving me a couple of Fuji light pink seeds.
She's a beauty.

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

patootie My camera seems to have other ideas, I tried to take some photos this morning and the darn thing just refused to cooperate! This is no cheap camera by any means, I will take it to the shop tomorow. Grrrrr.

Jon

Sorry about your camera Jon. Sure hope it can be fixed

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

what a wonderful bunch of growouts.. lovely! Helen, did you send me the wild glorys from there? I recieved several wild glory mailings and thought I had one of yours.. Jackie, I have a vine like that one u posted growing the merrimia?
None of the yellows are blooming yet .. I would love a dracula if someone would share with me.. I planted some sees from everyone so far.. and they are vining now .. will post them as they come..
Debra

Gautier, MS

Debra, I don't know or remember if I sent you seeds, I kind of misplaced my booklet of info & stuff.

Took this this morning of Lady Laura but have not gotten a perfect bloom from it yet. Seems that a lot of my mg don't want to open lately.

This message was edited Sep 2, 2009 8:13 AM

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

However this bloom opened nicely & had no problems. Taken without flash.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

Helen i love the purple on that one. lady lauras color is awesome.

Gautier, MS

Thanks, I like it too thanks to Emma for the seeds. I am hoping for better blooms. I definitly think the weather affected my mg's.

I found a interesting one today. This is descended from a youjiro I grew that had different leaves on it and put Fuji No Monet pollen on it They look a lot like hederacea leaves.These look like a blue(instead of purple) Fuji No Monet with hederacea,almost yaguruma like leaves or maple leaves. The leaves are interesting looking different as you gaze across the vine.I wonder of they might be a morph between two different kinds of leaves or just be very confused about what they want to do. :)

I`m going to monitor the pollen on this one to try and get selfed pods and grow it again plus do some research on what all varieties are in existance before I get exited about a new variety. I could just have found a neat color in a Japanese variety. Karen

Regular purple double kikyozaki. I did select for this look but it is still just a double kikyozaki. Karen

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Nice one Karen...

Thanks! One more blue with white picotee. I selected this one too but it might throw pink or purple in the seeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.