Late summer / autumn blooms

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Post your late summer and autumn blooms here!

I was surprised to find my toad lilies (planted this spring) blooming today. They're my favorite quirky little fall flowers. I think these guys are a bit early--I don't even see buds on my established plants (planted last fall) yet.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

My little front bed, all planted this year. The echinaceas are recently planted (that's Pink Double Delight and Fatal Attraction). Ditto the rudbeckia, and one of those is blooming but the other (beside it) was just a plug when I bought it about a month ago, so I'll likely have to wait until next year for blooms on that one.

The delphinium is Magic Fountains, which is reblooming now after its initial spring show. :D

This message was edited Aug 31, 2009 6:05 PM

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Whoa,, mine have barely set buds..better get them on the "bud" as it were.

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Millet 'Purple Majesty', didn't getting very tall this year, but the birds won't care :)

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Rudbeckia 'Toto', a runt plant of a dwarf cultivar, and the cutest little thing!

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Ms. Eva Cullum, givin' it up one more time...

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Italian White Sunflower, being clung to by Cucumber Miniature White.

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Purple Disk Sunflower, Helianthus atrorubens. Still has plenty of buds yet.

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Tip Top Mahogany Nasturtiums, growing in among the cukes.

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

And last but not least, Dwarf Mexican Hat.

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I love the millet and the rudbeckia. What sort of conditions does the millet like? I may plant some next year to give all my birdies a feast. :)

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

I have pottery-quality clay with an inch or so each of soil, compost, and mulch on top. I had to start them inside in plugs because the chipzillas dig every grain and kernel up. I think they're shorter than they're supposed to be because I started late. But they seem happy enough. We've had plenty of rain so I haven't watered them since planting them out except a couple of times to fertilize with Foliage-Pro. From what I've seen of it's relative growing under the bird feeders, it should grow anywhere...

Here they are as babies, before they turned purple.

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I think I'll give it a whirl next year around the bird houses here in my yard. I'm going for a sort of wildlife area near my birdhouse and feeders. I have the same problem with chipmunks, but hopefully once I have a lot of the extra brush and weeds (ugh!) cleared from the area I have in mind the greyhounds will be able to patrol better. ;)

Now, keeping the greyhounds out of the new plants will be a different story altogether. I may have to fence things off for a while.

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Tall garden phlox (now blooming from cutbacks, finish of rose campion, butterfly bush and the large leaf ligularia (one of my favorites)..also great blue lobelia and tall sedums

Thumbnail by motts1
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I just put my little scarecrow-ess out this afternoon, since my mums are going gangbusters. :)

Thumbnail by jcoakley
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I planted two morning glory vines and one died. I thought this one wasn't going to make it either. But now I'm so glad I didn't give up on it!

Thumbnail by jcoakley
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

A closeup . . . .

Thumbnail by jcoakley
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I like your scarecrow-ess, jcoakley! She's watching out for your mums there. She'd have to do more than watch over my mums if I planted some here--I can't seem to keep them alive. Basically, I have to treat them like annuals.

The morning glories are glorious, too. Did you plant them from seed? I hear they're not too fond of being transplanted. I started a couple of morning glories indoors one winter and tried to transplant them outside and neither one survived the process. But I think next year I'll try sowing some seeds and waiting to see what happens. :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Kayley, I put those mums in last fall not expecting them to return . . . needless to say I am pleased! I bought the morning glories already started. After I planted them, watered them well and pushed the mulch up around them, I read that they don't like being fussed over and NOT to mulch them. It was too late for the one, but the other one seems fine. I haven't watered it ever and I pushed all the mulch away from it. I'm hoping it'll reseed and cover my ugly chain-link.

Here's my 2 year old introducing himself to the scarecrow this morning . . .

Thumbnail by jcoakley
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Aw, what a cutie! And what a nice little autumn-like patch you have there.

I just love this season. :)

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Finally some fall crocus-purple

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

white (with sprigs of saffron crocus leaves-no buds this year)

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

cosmos still going (windy=blurry)

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I dont have an image handy... but my Dakota Mock Vervain is still blooming. that and my Pot Marigolds are flourishing.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Wow. I didn't even know "they" made fall crocuses! Cool!

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

My saffron crocuses finally bloomed too. They may not be as late as I thought, it's my first time with them. This pic is from 11/21

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.