Kikyo Ice

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Well, my friends who like Kikyo Ice.

Karen

Thumbnail by gardener2005
Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

It's so beautiful....

It has come true the 5th generation and has a lavender form just like the commercial kikyos.

Thank you. I don`t feel wrong wanting credit for what took me two years to get going true from seeds either. Maybe after I die people will put a picture of my face on the seed packets. :)

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

that is truly gorgeous!!!!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Why does it have to be "sold" to go in plant files? Can't it just go under kikyo? I put a dilute Joyce Cobb in plant files under Joyce Cobb and I don't believe that is being sold.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i am in love with that one. wow wish there was some way you could. to pretty not to be known

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

A very special morning glory.

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Hee, hee, want to sell me some? Would that help? :-)

That is beautiful! Good luck with getting credit for it; maybe if other members can duplicate it from your seed they'll let you post it? Or have you already tried that.

Good News!!! It found a right place in Picotee Single Blue. :)

st catharines, Canada

WOW

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

For those of you that are wondering, we do have a set of criteria we follow so the database doesn't become diluted with unverifiable entries and unnamed plants. None of us in administration are botanists, and we don't want to mislead PlantFile users by allowing entries we can't verify with other reputable resources. If we did so, we would have many entries for plants named 'Grandma's Iris', Aunt Jane's Favorite Petunia', 'My First Hybridizing Experiment', etc. Those names may sound a bit far-fetched, but believe me, we do get some of those on a regular basis.

Within PlantFiles we require that all entries meet ONE of the following criteria:

1) All species must be recognized and cited within the American Horticultural Society or Royal Horticultural Society encyclopedias; Hortus Third, or the Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN) database) at ars-grin.gov, the Missouri Botanical Garden's MOBOT.org site, or other standard reference materials or websites.

2) All cultivars must be registered with an International Cultivar Registration Authorities (ICRA) designated registry (if one exists for the genus); or they should be patented or trademarked.

3) Cultivars (and species, subspecies, forms and varieties) that cannot meet the second criteria must be widely available on a commercial or passalong basis, with references (citations) in other databases or reference materials. A single reference (especially when it's the hybridizer, eBay seller or vendor) is not adequate to establish the plant's legitimacy.

We use these criteria to make sure PlantFiles can serve as a reliable reference for readers to look up and identify plants. Allowing entries for unnamed seedlings or unverifiable names will undermine the accuracy and overall helpfulness of PlantFiles.

I hope you understand our position and realize that by doing so, we are trying to maintain an accurate and reliable database the best way we know how.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

That makes sense to me now!

Well, I`m very happy it was accepted based on what criteria is allowed.

Thank you Joan. :)

Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

It is so beautiful. I love the color
KK

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, the criteria for entry do make sense, don't they? I'm so glad you were able to find a way to list it; that is just a beautiful flower. Congratulations!
Now about that "passalong basis"......tee hee, be glad to help you out with that. :-)

I have a confession to make. I`m slow about sharing the ones I have worked hard to fix in type.

But I have plenty of very pretty ones I will offer for fall trades. I offered a list last year and they got taken up quickly.

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Karen, that MG is Drop-Dead Gorgeous.
Good luck in all that you do.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

A very beautiful flower , you should be proud to have bred such a beauty.
And who knows someday maybe your name will be on a seed package.
Any idea how long it takes to get enough seed to sell ?

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Don't blame you one little bit for wanting to keep them close. They are your little green children, after all. :-)

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Nice bloom, Karen!

Joan - Interesting information about adding a new cultivar to PlantFiles. Always something new to learn! Thanks for clarifying to all of us about new cultivars. :-)

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i think i would keep them close too if they were my new babies. no one blames you a bit. that one is so pretty. i love your purples though Karen

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Karen, if you go.. commercial... I will buy some... LOL...Debra

Technically, this one is a kikyo and kikyos are obviously already available commercially. I bought the great grandparents of this one from Japan. What is different is the color pattern.

There should be a registry for colors, color patterns and any unusual patterns that are solidly proven to come true from seeds over at least 5 generations.

I think there should Also be some mention in the registry of the mutables in a categorty "mutables" like the devided color leaf for example that will de segregate in seeds so they are not dependable from seeds.

Edited to make a clarification: As Joan has stated Plant Files is a guide for consumers to help them care for plants they buy from retailers so it isn`t meant to be a registry for plants and brand new not yet evaluated cultivars or special colors.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2009 8:32 AM

See my point? Kikyo Ice is a kikyo alright but it can`t get any extra recognition for the markings it has because the Plant Files is not a registry. It isn`t available for sale(as Kikyo Ice) at Parks or Burpee sooo...it goes in with the other kikyos.

It was very simple and understandable once Joan explained it to me.

Karen

This message was edited Sep 3, 2009 8:39 AM

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Karen,
I'm normally just a lurker, but in this case I feel compelled to say that this is the most beautiful flower I have ever seen. I also loved your yellow morning glory with the speckles from another thread a few months ago. You have talent!
-Brittany

This message was edited Sep 3, 2009 10:15 AM

Thanks for the nice comments. I appreciate it. :)

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I've been lurking, too, Karen. Judging from the number of views for this thread, I'd say you have quite the fan club (and potential customer base).
Julie

I guess I don`t need Plant Files. My plant speaks for itself. It is real and it does come true from seeds at least this last test was good at gen 4.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Karen - Sell or share your seeds, have folks post their grow-outs, and then it will qualify to have it's very own PlantFile entry! :-)

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Absolutely stunning!! Bravo!! :-D

I did introduce them from my web site and they are "out there". That is the problem I`m the only company who has it which bars the door for me.

Someone it gets passed along to might change the name and make a deal with a seed company and then it will get listed as Blue Sparkle or even Kikyo Ice but they Can do that since I have no way to register it and it will not be "mine" anymore. At least my friends here know who really worked on it and introduced it.

I didn`t exactly make a killing off of it either. I would be a "starving hybridizer" if I quit my day job. LOL!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Well here is one I grew from Karen's seeds...I absolutely love it. The cool weather I am having as put a damper on a lot of my flowers so I was real happy to see this. Lots of buds forming so I am hoping for some more photos. Thanks again Karen for this wonderful flower!!

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes

Glad to see you like it. Watch and see if it gets the increasing white margin and the "moods" or brushing. Some do show more of the drama than the others. I imagine you can select for what you see that you like for seed saving.

I think it got the cold hardiness from the youjiro grandparent so it will at least Try to bloom after a cold night. That is good to know. :)

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

If you really wanted to protect it, you could apply for a patent.

I did want credit for hybridizing this but as far as keeping others from selling them no. I can`t and I don`t want to control what people do with their vines and seeds.

A plant patent is only for asexually produced plants. That would keep others from reproducing and reselling a certain plant propogated by cutting,roots or bulbs etc. i nils can be difficult to deal with as far as propogating from cuttings so it might not be practical. And people could just get the seeds off and grow and sell those which is fine with me anyway.

People really can`t control seeds without some kind of registry involving tested seeds like daturas iirc. I could patent the Name Kikyo Ice but people could just pick a different name and this is why seed companies have so many names for the same seeds.

Karen

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Apparently you can't get a patent for a plant that is reproduced from seed:

"A plant patent is granted to an inventor who has invented or discovered and asexually reproduced a distinct and new variety of plant, other than a tuber propagated plant or a plant found in an uncultivated state."

However,...

"Plant Patent Vs Plant Variety Protection Act
The United States Patent and Trademark Office or USPTO does accept utility applications for claims to plants, seed, genes, etc listed above. However, intellectual property protection for true breeding seed reproduced plant varieties is offered through the Plant Variety Protection Office.

The Plant Variety Protection Office (PVPO) administers the Plant Variety Protection Act (PVPA), by issuing Certificates of Protection in a timely manner. The Act provides legal intellectual property rights protection to developers of new varieties of plants which are sexually reproduced (by seed) or tuber-propagated. "

For more information the quoted material was copied from this site:

http://inventors.about.com/cs/biopatents/a/aa_plant_patent.htm

Edited to add: I see we cross-posted. Hope maybe the info above is of some help.

This message was edited Sep 4, 2009 8:49 AM

Woofie, We posted exactly the same time. Thanks, I`ll go look at the link.

Yes, thank you.

This message was edited Sep 4, 2009 10:53 AM

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Oh, ouch! I just looked at the fees for application. Eeek. You'd have to sell an awful lot of seeds to justify that! My goodness, no wonder some seeds are so expensive!

ouch is right. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.