Brugmansia in Australia. Spring 2009

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

On request from Chrissy I have opened the spring edition of this forum.

This thread follows on from previous Brugmansia discussion here in Australia (winter).

Open to all with passion, questions and the tales of Brug lore here "Down Under"! :)

Enjoy!

A starter...
Brugmansia Old Sydney Apricot for want of another name.
Our original plant was from Bronte House, in Sydney. Grown several years back here at "Flora". Sadly, this lovely plant was victim to frost a few years back. R.I.P.

This plant along with the old double white gives me the benchmark for my desire in growing excellent garden varieties here in Australia.

Let's talk, exchange ideas and above all ask questions!

My love of Brugs goes back to childhood. My qulafications are in Horticulture, Park Management and Disability Service Training and Support (Psyc/Int.).

I leave any discussion of "Brug Science" to the wonderfully quallified Alistair.

Here goes! :)

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

wayne thankyou!!!!
What a glorious way to start our Spring "rush",my Spring is running late we are still cold down here (lovely sunny days when the wind stays away) but after those awful drying winds the bushfires are already starting up not too far away this arvo both here out west and down south, heralding a loooong hot dry I think.
So I will pop in a picture of my "Old Sydney Apricot" from last spring ...I am very proud that we are merging it's genes with some other beauties, since not only is it unkillable, but glorious, the waves of bloom come one after the other ...what more could we ask? I can hardly wait to see it's offspring.

Thumbnail by

We came from here everyone
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1025264/

and just to refresh your memories ...a few spring snaps from last year while we wait for this year ...
Brugmansia Bengal Tiger

Thumbnail by

Brugmansia Elfin Pink
looking up!

Thumbnail by

Brugmansia Musketeer

Thumbnail by

Brugmansia Zabaglione

Thumbnail by

Brugmansia Sugar Pink noid
(I love this little furry pink bell)

Thumbnail by

Brugmansia Alphonse Mucha

Thumbnail by
barmera, Australia

Beautiful pics Wayne and Chrissy. Now I have to tell you, Wayne, some sad news. Received the brugs envelopes today. Thank you for sending them but there is not one viable seed in there,sorry. Would you be able to send cuttings later on of the same please as we haven't got that one? Colleen

Brugmansia Butter Bomb

Thumbnail by

Brugmansia Arborea (species)

Thumbnail by

brugmansia Chloe

Thumbnail by

The wonderful Glass House Angel noid

Thumbnail by

Late Winter/Spring seedlings flowering for the first time ...

Thumbnail by

Almost all yellows

Thumbnail by

much to my surprise!

Thumbnail by

even after frosty mornings!

Thumbnail by

long tendrils!

Thumbnail by

surprisingly little damage

Thumbnail by

I still can't believe it ...

Thumbnail by

Some turning deeper shades on warmer days

Thumbnail by

These sort of lovely surprises are ahead for you all ^_^

Thumbnail by

The other huge pinky bloom

Thumbnail by

It's been a joy!

Thumbnail by

With much much more to come

Thumbnail by

So good night ...sweet dreams ...It's Spring!

Thumbnail by

ooops almost forgot Alistairs
Brugmansia Clementine

Thumbnail by

Though it was not a Spring flowering ...in fact during a terrible heatwave ...please allow a proud grower to once more flash my treasure
Brugmansia Fire Fighter Angel (my pride and joy) and it could happen to ,YOU

Thumbnail by
Merino, Australia

Wayne, a wonderful opening to spring, thank you.
Hello Chrissy, I hope to have a photo gallery like yours soon. I was out yesterday talking to the angels and found that Elfin Pink has a tiny Y with a tiny first bud. Also one of the Frosty pinks has a tiny bud too. Of course there are little buds coming on GHA as she never stops.
One of my seedling crosses has two lovely trunks ( not a Y but grown from the start) but is now devoid of leaves with tiny tiny new leaves forming. I will cut one of the trunks and plant out .It is one of the crosses from The Chief so I hope something beautiful comes from it.
My BB x GHA seedlings are going to have to go into tubes today as they have reached the top of the propagater box. The GHA x BB are coming up well now. I am looking forward to warm waeather to push all the large angels towards flowering. Jean.

el arish, FNQ, Australia

It's quite intoxicating up in the Far North right now. Lovely dry weather is making all my brugs flush. Some for the first time. I'll start with Zabaglione, it's been amazingly prolific in it's flowering! Ann

Thumbnail by pogonantha
el arish, FNQ, Australia

And Lipstick Pink has flowered for the first time. I can see it has alot of Equador Pink in it but a deeper color. Thanks Maya :) Ann

Thumbnail by pogonantha
el arish, FNQ, Australia

Avalanche has turned out to be a real beauty. So many flowers on such a small plant!! Ann

Thumbnail by pogonantha
Merino, Australia

Ann ,your 3 lovely babies are all growing well here now. The cold hasn't seemed to bother them but they are in the greenhouse. Polar comet is by far the biggest of the three. Looking forward to flowers . Jean.

el arish, FNQ, Australia

Aurea is such a sweetie. Think I'll move a bit to a sunnier spot and see how it fairs. Ann

Thumbnail by pogonantha
el arish, FNQ, Australia

Jean, I'm glad to hear. They weren't very pretty to start with but I hope tough. Remember any problems and I'll fix it :)
Aztec Gold flowering away. I'll post more later, the kids want to go to school. Ann

Thumbnail by pogonantha

Good morning everyone ...who drank too much strong coffee last night *blushing*.
I thought some of you may not have seen this yet ...although you cannot understand the Language ...the magnificent pictures are worth a look (though I must say it's a bit confusing to see some "names" here that don't appear elsewhere.
Enjoy these lovely blooms (and improve your German ^_^)
http://www.gartenfreunde.eu/viewforum.php?f=12&topicdays=0&start=50
just click onto the names ...it dose not take long to figure out what double ...white ...orange etc means in german.
jean every multi cot grows 2 trunks so watch that one because we are tracking what these multi cots may mean ...it is thought that they carry more blooms.These multi cots (and many more) came from the Alphonse Mucha crosses, I think this is quite unusual the 5 cot is unique in that it may be the only observed one so far.Hopefully thise may mean huge flushes in the future though it may mean zilch ...great thrill though.
here is to our new plants of the coming season.

Thumbnail by

Ann how wonderful! I have a great fondness for Zabaglione (same genes as Alphonse Mucha) both lovely Angels ...it must be very exciting up your way, we are all very excited about your new garden I know it will be spectacular!
Happy Spring!
Brugmansia Lipstick
(in a heatwave) interesting to compare.

Thumbnail by
Barmera, Australia

G'Day
This is a genuine request for information not a snide remark.
Chrissy, all the Brug flowers I see here look wonderful. So what makes "FFA" better than any other yellow Brug flower or "GHA" for that matter? The "Old Sydney Apricot" seems to get good publicity but no excitement over its performance. I suppose from my point of view what constitutes a poor or bad Brug flower?
Here the Brugs are so few that if one is alive and flowering it's a good one as far as we are concerned, whereas you might say that it is so bad it should be removed.
Brian

Merino, Australia

Chrissy, the seedling with the 2 trunks was not a multicot as I understand the meaning. Looking at yours from last year, I see a difference. My little one was just a normal seedling at first but developed the tiny Y as it grew its 2nd lot of leaves ( or is that first set of real leaves ?). It was still a baby then but the 2 trunks have developed well and are nearly identical in size, both coming from just above the soil line straight up to around 2' tall . Do you think I should leave them both on the plant and see what happens ? I can always cut one off later. I have a second seedling of the same cross but it has grown normally with one straight trunk. Funny though , that one has not lost a leaf and is very strong and green. Just went out and snapped pics while the sun was out.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

The kindergarten tribe waiting for summer. Waving to auntie Chrissy.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.