A test using concrete in ceramic molds...second part

Ashland City, TN

The second photo shows the second smaller flower pot. With this one I put Vaseline directly onto the inside of the mold and poured the concrete directly into the mold. I thought I could dig out the inside of the pot the next morning if I left a bag over the mold – not real smart. The concrete was too dry but I did manage to chip out enough of a whole to put a plant into it. Next time I will dig out the whole after the concrete sets long enough to hold it’s form. When I opened the mold the concrete pot came right out!! The mold was not damaged at all. The concrete form came out with the ring design that the mold had. I would choose this method over the first method with the bags.
Ceramic molds (made of plaster) do absorb water but once they become very wet they hold the water that is why it is good to put your mold in the sun and let it dry out before reuse (of slip or concrete).

This message was edited Aug 29, 2009 2:33 PM

Thumbnail by scarediecat
This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!