What is this? (Heirloom plant?)

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

The kids and I went to Old World Wisconsin at the tail end of June. For those who don't know about the place, it's a museum of sorts where they've moved houses from all around Wisconsin, with all kinds of different ethnic architectural styles (Finnish, Danish, German, etc.) to a huge parcel of land in the Kettle Moraine State Forest. It's a fun place to visit for the history...everything's recreated, from the furnishings to the people in period costumes to the gardens. Yep, the gardens! There are not only fields of wildflowers, but gardens planted with heirloom plants that would have been grown during the particular time period (late 1700s to early 1900s, depending on the particular setting).

I snapped a photo of this unique plant. I love the seed heads! Does anyone know what it is? I'm drawing a blank.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Thought I'd also share a picture of my own little wildflower (Shayla) pointing at some zinnias (I think?) pretending to like plants. (Although all my gardening talk actually bores her silly.)

Some of you met Shayla at the last RU. :)

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Hmm. The picture didn't upload. Let me try this again.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Nigella damascena (Love-in-the-Mist).

And yes, those are zinnias.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Ah, I knew I should recognize it! It's an annual, right? That's probably why I didn't pick up on it right away. I very rarely plant annuals. hehe

Yes, it is an annual, and a very good filler for empty areas.

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Waving hi,~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ was so nice to meet you at RU. Shayla was so nice to help me being as I was "late as usual".
Do you have room for reseeding annuals?

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Your blue flower is "Love in a Mist". BEV

Hmmm. Could very well be right: Love in a Mist, not Love-in-the-Mist.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Marcia--it was great to meet you and everyone else, too. :)

I probably do have room for reseeding annuals next year, and maybe I'll try some of these. They're so pretty. I assume they're sun-lovers. At least they were growing in a very sunny open prairie setting when I saw them.

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi, How about scattering a few blue larkspur-a least a foot apart to allow to grow to 4' instead of 4"..Lovely fern foliage--not heavy and blue flowers--just finished blooming. I only collected the blue, not the purple the last 2 seasons.
Not much retouch to photo--just shot it a bit late in the day.

Thumbnail by motts1
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

That would definitely be pretty, Marcia. I'm really going to have to start planting seeds next year, since this pace has much better soil for it. The challenge might be keeping the greyhounds out until things have grown up a bit. hehe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.