How do I attracts bats?

Pittsburgh, PA

I built a bat-house a few years ago, and it's been up without any luck. I followed regulations for bat houses as best as I understood them, and I was wondering if there were any other things I could do besides cross my fingers that would increase my chances of them taking residence.

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

There is something called bat scent that you can put on the opening to your bat house.

ants

Pittsburgh, PA

Interesting.
Has anyone here tried it? Did it work?
I understand that it takes patience when trying to attract bats but this has been the fourth summer without any.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

They just sorta show up here... Supposedly they can find houses on a pole or building (more exposed) easier than one in a tree, so maybe you could adjust the position. But keep it close to a tree line, so they'll feel like they can duck into the trees if needed.

A handy water source is always good, even just a container pond, for the water itself and also because they eat insects that breed in water (like mosquitoes). I've read that night-blooming flowers help, I think because they attract night insects, which the bats come to eat.

I think in your area temperature is going to be a big deal. They need a place that will be warm enough for babies. So orient to the sun, caulk for drafts, paint dark to absorb heat, etc.

Good luck! Keep us posted...

Brooklyn Park, MN(Zone 4a)

would it be best for the house to be in the shade or gettting morning sun or after noon sun?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

here is a link for you. it is for sale of houses but includes useful info at the bottom. also, if you google, "how to attract bats", you will get a lot of links: http://www.batworld.org/bcs/bat_houses.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.