Coreopsis Suggestions

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Is there one that looks good most the time and doesn't get too tall and then flop? I really would like a short bush type. Are there any of those???

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I like "Moonbeam', it blooms most of the summer and are pretty small. Climate could make a difference though on the bloom time. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/48882/ If you don't like that color, I expect many of the other C. verticillata cultivars would have a similar habit. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=coreopsis&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=verticillata&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

My vote would be "Moonbeam" also. Love the soft yellow color too.

Thank you...I will check into some of those.

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

'Zagreb' is a little shorter than 'Moonbeam'. I like the flower colour better, too- it's more golden than 'Moonbeam', which always reminds me of a highlighter pen.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

My straight species Coreopsis rosea is nice. It spreads fast. Here it is in the upper left corner.

Thumbnail by Meredith79
Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

Very pretty garden. Elaine

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Thanks Elaine : )

Hi Nanny, hope you don't mind me jumping in with a Coreopsis question.

I'm wondering what folks do with them after they have nearly quit blooming. I would like to keep these for next year but right now they are really making the bed look awful. Can I cut these back to nearly the ground or do they need to die back naturally?

Cockeysville, MD

Coreopsis pubescens 'Sunshine Superman' is an excellent coreopsis. It blooms for an eternity.....probably my longest blooming perennial (late spring through the fall and it never subsides). It's bushy, reaches about 18inches, and does really well in dry, sunny places. It's bloom color is very similar to Rudbeckia 'Goldstrum.'

Now that sounds like a nice one! Would love to have something that bloomed that long!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.