Anyone here have Hyacinth among their Clems?

Baton Rouge, LA

Recently, I was reminded about Hyacinth. It seems so innocuous, with pretty blooms to tempt you. But, I've read that Hyacinth can be rather invasive. I do know that it is very easy to grow, as I have seen it popping up all over the place, often without invitation at all! I would hate to put something invasive in with my Clems or risk damaging them.... but it does look so pretty. Anybody here have experience with Hyacinth among their Clems? Do you have problems with invasiveness? Any suggestions on how to help Clems and Hyacinth comingle happily? Any suggestions on how to deal with potential problems?

This message was edited Aug 28, 2009 10:12 AM

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Many people seem to find the aroma of Hyacinth to be superficial and hard to take when brought indoors. The very intensity of Hyacinth's aroma makes me uneasy at times - almost like a woman with too much perfume: what is she trying to hide? I do have Hyacinth by Anna Louise and Henryi and they haven't yet become invasive but I'll keep an eye on them. Thanks for the good alert.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

No more Hyacinth for me anywhere. Attracts too many vermin.

Delaware, OH

bulbs are like addictive candy to burrowing and tunneling animals, as well as racoons, opposum and other type rodents. when these type of animals discover bulbs they sometimes discover valuable clem roots. '
there fore using a lot of bulbs around clems is something i personally would not do or recomemend to others, especially as the bulbs divide....candy store with neon sign that can be very counterproductive.
i'm with you zuzu

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

The hyacinth by Anna Louise and Henryi have been there for 17 years now and no critters have bothered them yet so I'm hopeful they won't find them.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

The only vermin that has bothered my hyacinth bulbs is me moving them about the property. Yes I have all the critters often blamed for the destruction of bulbs. I have never seen one chewed upon or dug out even when other bulbs have suffered critter damage.

This message was edited Sep 5, 2009 9:39 AM

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

I have been duly alerted and am thankful that I will not be adding any to complicate or aggravate me in any manner, I am too sensitive and would loose sleep with worry.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

at first I thought you might be talking about Hyacinth Bean Vine... since you were talking clematis... but figured out, no. Anyway... I just saw a HBV this morning at a neighbors and now think, it might be a good vine to plant next to a clematis...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.