Anyone growing red 'corn poppies' ??

Pilot Point, TX(Zone 7b)

My Texas Gardener magazine had a picture of these red Corn Poppies -- sure are pretty. The magazine says to plant now for a spring show...and that they are good reseeders.

Just curious if anyone here has any experience with them ???

Thanks

Jann

This message was edited Aug 27, 2009 5:38 PM

Thumbnail by jannz2
Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

No, Jann - but I want to! I want to seed a field on the side of my property after we burn it in November or December - after we get a good frost.They sure are beautiful!! Samantha

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

They are so cheery and bright, I won't be without them! For some reason they don't reseed for me like lots of gardeners report, so I save seed from them and surface sow later. I've had the best luck sowing in February and March in my zone, but I'm not sure what's best further south. I used to think they needed cool temps to germinate, but now I believe lack of competition and plenty of moisture while they're tiny is why that time of year works for me.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, I sow them every year. My seed supplier says to sow them in Fall/Winter. I'm surprised that your mag. said to sow them in the summer. I've never heard of that, Bluebonnets maybe but that's really early for poppies. Anyway, with so much rain this fall they should be beautiful in the spring. They don't last very long once it gets hot.
Lisa

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Well, I said above that they didn't reseed for me, but I'm finding loads of seedlings now! I'm curious if they're like Larkspurs, in producing seedlings in fall that overwinter and then take off in spring? I've grown Iceland poppies that behaved like that.

OK I checked with one of my seed suppliers and the general role is that corn poppies should be sown in the spring if you live north of Oklahoma. However, if they get a good start and a long tap root they should be hardy enough to survive winter. If they don't survive the winter you can always reseed in the spring, or some seeds may stay dormant over winter and come up on their own. The earlier start that they get the better, they heat does them in more then the cold.
Lisa

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

This will be a good experiment then! I kinda think they'll withstand the winter, our winters have gotten milder over the years, and I'm seeing lots of zone 7 hardy plants survive in the ground on a regular basis. I've got some zone 8 plants that overwinter outside from time to time (some that I inevitably forget to dig up), Dahlias, and once even Pineapple Lilies.

I did get seed from them, so I'm not sweatin' it if they don't make it. Thanks for the info!
Neal

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I had dropped off the poppy forum.
I see no reason a red reseeding wouldnt happen.
I had some reds that were direct seeded in March but they failed to germinate.
I have just direct sowed somnifariums, mix.
A Heritage poppy "Drop Dead Georgous" from One Stop Poppy.
and a salmon mop type.I call it Phyllis Dillers revenge.

Just a note I have had poppies come up the year after I sowed the seed. I've had years I didn't sow seeds but still got poppies. The poppy God works in mysterious ways.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The poppies re seed and find themselves in mysterious places, some carried by birds etc.
My reds were Island Mohen's

This message was edited Nov 10, 2009 4:38 AM

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

I'm not sure if I have Corn Poppies, but it looks like I had two different types of red poppies this past summer. I've been sowing seeds there for 3 years. I finally had some good luck this year after sowing them in March before the last snow storm usually occurs. I just placed an order at One stop poppy shop for some different poppies including some doubles in salmon and white shades.

Thumbnail by Meredith79
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Meredith! you will love the salmon doubles,I direct sowed Venus last December I always direct sow poppies. I dont have white. I did have some failures. Shirleys and Island Mohen didnt germinate where I sowed them.
This is my clump of Venus in july

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I also direct sowed One Stops Heritage poppies DroDead Georgous

Thumbnail by ge1836
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

ge, keep an eye out for seedlings, I've had Shirley Poppies fail to show up the year I sowed, then mysteriously show the next year.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

WOW I knew Moss Rose would go dormant until the seeds worked their way to the exact spot they like to germinate. Never thought of poppies too.

GE I love those Venus! I was torn about getting that variety. I decided they looked more pink in the catalog pics, than the ones I ended up getting. I am trying to go with a more salmon or apricot color pink. I'm not sure when I should sow them. I am thinking I might do half as soon as they come in and then again in March. Then I should have luck. Only problem is the spot I want them might be a bit too sandy and dry. I am thinking about adding some more compost first. I already added about 6 bags but it didn't seem to do a whole lot because the soil was like dust! lol

fixed typos

This message was edited Nov 13, 2009 7:34 AM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The Venus I grew were not THAT pink
Now that I look again maybe they were

Thumbnail by ge1836

I'm so jealous. Those of you that live in the cooler climates can grow such beautiful poppies. I have also been told that CA poppies can take a year or 2 to decide to germinate. I don't think my poppy seeds were brought in by birds because they came up right where I sowed them just not when I expected.
Lisa

Very pretty Ge!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

No one has the perfect setup.
I love Bouganvilla just dripping over walls. NOT HERE in zone 6

It gets too cold here for bouganvilla. We either treat thenm as annuals or bring them in to over winter, but I agree they are beautiful. We might be getting our first freeze at the beginning of the week so I'm dragging all the plants in, picking everything in the garden, then covering all my veggie plants in case it doesn't get THAT cold.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

HOLYCOW I thiught Texas was hot everywhere

"HOLYCOW" LOL- no we get freezes during the winter, and crippling heat in the summer. That is one of the reasons gardening is a challenge here. Further south bougnvilla are grown year round. I'm originally from S CA so gardening here is more labor intensive. At least I can think of your post and laugh at myself as I haul plants in the house, pick veggies in the garden, and cover all the plants. All this work will insure it doesn't freeze. Oh ya toss out my poppy seeds because we are supposed to get rain too.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I believe the seeds I sowed a fw weeks ago ,have germinated.Kraaaaps.

We are having an unusually warm November.
Just wait and see what happens I guess.

Some of mine have also and they should survive a freeze but I don't know about snow. I like your spelling.

Uh oh Ge! I was thinking of sowing mine in fall, but then second guessed myself and decided I'd wait. Now I'm glad I did or else I would probably have them germinating as well. I've noticed that happening with the red poppies, I left them to go to seed and you can see some have already germinated. It happened last fall too and unfortunately none of th seedlings pulled through winter. I think they can in warmer climates than ours. You are right that it isn't staying as cold as usual.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My spelling is the worst. I am comfortable on Daves which supports many terrible spellers.
I am still not sure the teeny green shoots are poppies. The poppies dont seem to be growing any where else.

Wellperhaps you are like me and your spelling is most often times wonderful... It's my fingers and teh keyboard that are a problem!! ha ha : D Oh looky see that - of course I know how to spell the but it comes out teh an awful lot! Lol

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have trouble with the A key and often hit caps.
I have to look at my fingers when I type so I will finish a long post to see its all caps. what a mess.

I thought you meant to put a K where there could have been a C. Looks OK to me.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

OOOO yes I am clever that way
Trying to get my point across with out being kicked off for using the wrong subject matter.

Paris, TX

I put out my seeds out and they have germinated. We they survive a freeze?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

They're quite hardy, I think they'll be fine in your zone. I'm pretty sure it was Corn Poppies I've had germinate in fall and overwinter just fine. I'm banking on them being hardy, as I have loads of self set seedlings out there now.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

good advise Gemenisage

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I remembered that a member in zone 5, Michigan grows Shirley Poppies (Corn Poppies, Papaver rhoeas) that reseed yearly. I dmailed her, and sure enough, the seedlings are hardy, even that far north- she said there's no need to give them protection.

raggins, looks like we can rest assured we'll see lovely poppies in spring :-)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

thats a load off my mind
thanks gemenie-sage

I wonder if there is something besides cold that does them in, because I haven't had good luck with the Shirley Poppies here. I got freebies, two years in a row from Dianeseeds and I only had a couple bloom and none reseeding. I was poking around outside and I have tons of Red Poppy seedlings out there right now.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My Shirlies grew here but they were from someone selling seedballs .
I didnt like them where they were growing so I ripped them.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Meredith, did you get germination, or did they not perform well after germinating?

I had some germination but I only remember a handful of seedlings making it to bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.