Purple Bell Vine Sun or Shade?

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Plant files says full sun, but several vendors I've seen it offered from say Shade, some part shade/sun....
who's growing it and what kind of light?
Thx
mj

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

hi there-
I think sun intensity is relative to where you are and what your seasonal temperatures can be ;0)

It appears you are in Florida. I am in Texas, so our sun is about the same in intensity, and also the heat.

Mine like half day sun to 3/4 day sun, with the rest shade. But, they cannot tolerate our heat.

I have to bring them inside during the worst heat of summer(june, july, august) or they will die(just like fuchsia, etc. they are sensitive to extreme heat).

I'd suggest growing them in a hanging basket, so they can trail over the container, and also so that you can move them around to keep them happy.

I buy my plants from Selectseeds in Spring. They are sold out of plants at this time of year, but you can still buy seeds, or plan to buy plants in Spring.

http://www.selectseeds.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/0419.5.4926471394117830888

It is the kind of vine that if it is not happy, it will die very suddenly and quickly(just like cobaea scandens). And, sadly I've killed plenty learning how to keep them happy in Texas :0)

good luck & hope this helps

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, I'm working on a trade for a plant. I'm thinking it would be a nice fall maybe winter vine. I can do the basket thing pretty easy.
Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.