Quit raining, now freeking COLD!

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

Ok so there was no rain last night or this morning....yet, but it is so freeking cold, the old dog won't even go out to pee. What ever happened to the long lazy days of August where it was too hot to move and we just lay in the dust thinking about school starting up again? I think of August and I hear Earnie Harwell's voice floating out an open window as we shucked sweet corn on the stoop. I think of going to the beach and the sand burning the bottom of your feet. I think of fans propped at the foot of the bed.

ow it seems as though summer ends with a sudden shift to cold. The dew is icy cold on the grass and nearly takes your breath away when you go out to get the morning paper. Leaves show colors that aren't supposed to be seen till September and the birds prepare to abandon us for warmer climes.

I WANT MY SUMMER BACK! In any year it is but a brief respite from sweaters and woolen socks, but this year it seems as though we were given a momentary taste and then the plate was taken away. already I find myself looking to clean up gardens and put away the wading pool.

It's not fair and I want to know who to complain to. God? Al Gore? Or maybe my husband who moved us back to Michigan in the first place. Ah that's it. He's always available and has a patient ear. Besides, he has available body heat to share.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i agree this summer stunk!!!
its cold here this morning!
and they say 66 is the high for saturday-the lows well i hate to post those!!!

bahamaz!!!

Thumbnail by notmartha
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we'll see early frost and winter to go with it. One thing I learned after moving up here from downstate is winter comes very abruptly. It' s like one day it's a nice fall day and the next day it's freezing and the wind is so bad it just goes right through you. Impossible to work outside once winter hits. I usually start my fall cleanup in September since I try to pace myself and take time to do all the chores. We have three outbuildings we like to sweep and cleanout along with veggie garden and ornamental garden cleanup. I like to put mulched up leaves over all. We also have to pull the boat out of the water and winterize it and put it in the pole barn. Lots to do. The last thing we do is put the snow blade on the tractor and back it into the pole barn last...........ready for that first big snow.

My mums are blooming already and have been for a couple weeks. Weird eh?

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

you girls are depressing me I'm still holding out for a long Indian summer or at least a long semi warm fall !!!!! ;0) as I sit here listening to the guys next door split wood ;0(
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Well, it got down to 39 degrees here in AuGres last night. Now that is COLD! It looked to me like there was a light frost on the grass this morning when I looked out the window. Good thing we had all the windows closed last night before we went to sleep. It stayed warm in the house. I hope my chickens didn't get too cold. I bet they were huddling up for sure.

Might look at the long range forecast. I"m going to start putting things away for winter like our patio chair cushions etc. We need to sweep out and clean the outbuildings and maybe pull the boat out of the water. Don't want to get caught without all the chores done.

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

I got a touch of frost on my morning glories and impaitents. They are alsays the first to go anyway, but in AUUST?

Northern, MI(Zone 6a)

Suppose to frost tonight and we are a little warmer on the lakeshore.
Yep, it's over....

Today is really nice though. At least I'm out in the yard without a shirt and shorts. The sun is beating down. What a refresher from a week of straight rain.

Gotta get back out there as to not waste the daylight. I started a new project and need to get as much finished before sundown...

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I got the weather alert in email about frost here tonight. Supposed to get down in the lower to mid 30's. I guess this is it. We can probably pull out the rest of the garden if it bites the dust in the frost. We put the heat lamp on inside the barn for the chickens so the girls will stay nice and warm. They are so spoiled. :) We worked on mowing the paths in the woods. Got it all done finally. The rain and wet weather all summer kept us from getting the last of the paths mowed. It was just too wet. It was a perfect day to do it. Hubby and I work on it together. I drive the RTV and chop back branches with my long handled nippers and carry the chain saw in the back. He drives the tractor with the brush hog and mows. The woods are all set for hunting season now.

The deer just set off my driveway alarm. We sent the two bichons out to scare them off. There were about ten of them! They're ganging up now. Time to respray the roses I guess. :) They are so beautiful still.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.