arbor day foundation trees & shrubs

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

wondering if anyone has ordered trees from the Arbor Day Foundation and what you thought of them. Have you had luck with the trees? Problems? I would just like some input, as I am considering ordering a few. Thanks in advance!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've never bought from them so I can't speak for the quality, but I do know the trees are small and also they have a reputation for mislabeling & sending the wrong things. Here's their entry in Watchdog if you want to read up on them http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/91/ I don't know if the mislabeling comes up there at all--I just know every year there are a number of people who show up here or on the ID forum with trees that aren't what they were supposed to be that came from Arbor Day.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

I've ordered from the Arbor Day Foundation's offer, and received very small bareroot trees with a couple broken limbs: not the best plants or the best packaging. It's a good cause, but I'd give them a donation instead of frustrating myself with trying to help their trees survive. Just my humble opinion.
Ruth

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Thanks! I was looking for a couple different ones that aren't available locally, and thought maybe I would try theirs without spending alot of money, in case they don't make it. (Doing a little zone pushing probably) On the other hand, maybe the trees would have a better chance of making it if I started with better stock.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you're looking for small trees, you might check out Forest Farm--they sell a ton of different kinds of trees, and many of them are available in a small size so you can experiment a bit without spending a ton. They're not as cheap as Arbor Day, but the plants are good quality.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Thanks! I'll check them out!

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm with you, ecrane; I've never been disappointed in anything from Forest Farm, and their selection is mind-boggling. Shipping is expensive here to the east, but well worth it for the quality of plants, and many many plants I've not been able to find elsewhere.
Ruth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.