Betty Corning

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi everyone -- I'm about to pull the trigger and order Betty Corning, but before I do, can anyone tell me if they've had any luck growing her in shade, and if so how much shade? Thanks! Laura

Delaware, OH

hi laura, now i know your name! my betty is in partial shade, about 5-6 hours of good sun per day. the thing about betty c is that it will go up to find the sun, so vigorous that it is easier for it to do this than some clems, so more shade than this can create a very tall plant, perhaps not as bushy at the bottom and full as it would be in more sun. not sure how much shade you are talking about.
mine is busy at the bottom and a very vigorous , floriferous plant with the partial sun it is in.

it is a wonderful wonderful clem.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks! I'm not exactly sure how much shade -- a lot less than 5-6 hrs of direct sun, though. It might not get even an hour of direct sun at the base, though it's definitely bright shade, usually dappled. But it'll get a few hours of good midday sun once it gets 5 feet up, I'd say. I would love a clematis in this spot, to eventually grow along the fence just behind our patio table, and Betty's just the form and color I'm after, and if I ever got scent from her I'd be so happy. My hope is that, as you say, Betty is vigorous enough to push through the shade. The other option for covering that area is to put a clem in a container on the patio itself, where there would be more sun, but I'd much rather plant in the ground. Dealing with light issues is my big challenge here -- we're boxed in on this city lot by trees and buildings, and a plant that was withering in full blasting sun yesterday might be in total shade today because the sun has lowered a hair in the sky. I don't bother with any plant, of any kind, that's not renowned to be vigorous. Otherwise, there's only heartache.

I do appreciate your input, CG. Thanks again.

Delaware, OH

i have shade issues too. have moved many a clem and limbed up trees even...in the quest....

one additional comment is that really good sun is needed to bring out and develop the subtle fragrance of most clems that can have that light scent. in less sun it is less prevalent. and since we are talking very very light fragrance.

i do find prince charles to be adaptable to the partial shade if you are looking for a light "blueish " clem that produces a lot of flowers.
but betty corning is such a great plant i hope you can work one in. you can always move it if you find it not flourishing in the first spot you place it in.

i understand the vigorous part, it's like the easy button vs clems who take their sweettime, need to build resistance or are just never going to be truly vigorous or floriferous. as Mary Toomey has ben heard more than once to say by myself in lectures "some just don't pay the rent"

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Well, i ordered Betty last night at 1 a.m. when I was too weak to resist myself. This morning I saw a bit of morning sun hitting that spot and felt better. Thanks again for the input, CG.

Delaware, OH

my pleasure, wickerparker. you will love betty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.