Shrub Recommendations

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I have a 20' x 5' shady raised border against a 6' solid privacy fence. Currently the dominant shrubs are deciduous azaleas. There are two Northern Lights ( pink) and one 'Cannon's Double'. Planted in between are a mix of hostas and Dicentra. It's gorgeous in the spring but the rest of the year I have a huge problem with powdery mildew on the Northern Lights. The shade coupled with poor air circulation from the solid fence combine to make perfect conditions for the development for of powdery mildew. Spraying every 7-10 days starting at bud break will keep it at bay. I tried the Bayer Advanced soil drench this rear and found that product to be less effective than advertised in spite of careful measuring and applying every 4 weeks. Are there any hardy ( zone 5), flowering shrubs not susceptible to powdery mildew? The soil is pH 6.8, sandy and well drained. Positioning is medium shade ( under high oaks ). The shade disappears in the winter when the oaks drop their leaves.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Oh, so many choices! I'm not sure if any of these would work ...

How about oak leaf or tardive hydrangeas, aesculus parviflora (or pavia), even a shrubby stewartia?
VV could probably suggest about a million viburnums.
Or a Jelena witch hazel for spectacular fall color, not to mention the pretty early spring flowers.
Or a PJM rhodie? Or a sinocalycanthus? Corylopsis?
Or if you want a suckering flowering / shady hedge to front the privacy fence, itea, neviusia, neillia.
Leaves can start getting a little ratty this time of year, but I don't recall mildew on any of the above.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Without a limitation given on ultimate height/width, I'll add these to Wee's list:

•Fothergilla gardenii and clones
•Clethra alnifolia and clones
•Hydrangea arborescens and clones
•Itea virginica and clones
•Kerria japonica and clones
•Lindera benzoin
•Viburnum acerifolium
•Viburnum dentatum compact versions like Blue Blaze™ or Little Joe™
and the unstoppable
•Sorbaria sorbifolia

...to name a few.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

That's a wow of a list VV. I'll have to check them for mildew susceptiblilty ( unless you've already done that). I cant change the fence style to improve the air circulation so it's always going to be a problem area in that respect.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.