About the new Autumn Red Mum.... I have to have one!

West Simsbury, CT(Zone 5a)

NEW AUTUMN RED’ MUM IS EASY TO GROW ... AND ATTRACTS BUTTERFLIES

This fall, gardeners across North America will see red and get butterflies (especially Monarch butterflies!) with the introduction of the “My Favorite”tM Perennial Mum ‘Autumn Red’, a new hybrid chrysanthemum.

No mere commodity mum or disposable pot of fall color, ‘Autumn Red’ differs distinctly from most mums sold during the fall season. It is a true cold-hardy, perennial garden mum that will return year after year, increasing dramatically in size as it matures. By its third fall, one Autumn Red’ plant can attain the look of a small loveseat — extravagantly slipcovered with vivid red daisy-like flowers! More compact and shrub-like than the usual mum, by its third season it can measure up to 22 inches high and 45 inches across, with a canopy of flowers — up to 5,000 per plant! to create a nonstop mound of flowers from the ground up!

‘Autumn Red’ has a compact, mounded shape with durable self-branching and deep red daisy-form flowers with a vivid yellow center marked by a dark bull’s eye. Each flower is 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches in diameter. The fall bloom season lasts four to five weeks. Throughout the season, continuing waves of fresh red flowers dominate visually, as older flowers fade to a soft antique terra cotta.

The new perennial mum is exceptionally cold hardy, thriving in climate zones as cold as Zone 3b. Its cold hardiness has been proven in sustained winter poundings of minus 30 degrees Fahrenheit in central Minnesota.

Its distinctive growth habit makes Autumn Red’ look carefully pruned and tended — though it actually needs no pinching at all. The plant naturally grows in a high- centered mound, providing a fine profile for its virtual blanket of fall color.

As an added treat, the ‘Autumn Red’ mum is a huge hit with Monarch butterflies, welcome visitors to any yard or garden. Its lush green foliage is attractive from spring through the fall bloom season. The branches are not brittle, as some mums can be, but have a bounce-back quality. Its rhizomatous root structure is particularly vigorous, forming a thick, compact clump that spreads underground, supporting the increasing size of the plant material above.

The mum lends itself to a variety of garden uses, including hedges, borders and large containers. When planting, it is important to keep the eventual size of the plants in mind. Planting distances depend upon the desired application. Plant two to three feet apart to create a continuous hedge-like effect. Plant the mums four feet apart to maintain the outlines of the individual bush in years to come.

‘Autumn Red’ moms are truly easy to grow. With no pinching required, peak performance is easy: just provide a proper site, water, sun, plant food and a simple annual cut hack. For peak performance, choose a site or container with well-drained soil, full sun (6 hours or more per day) and apply a slow-release plant food twice per season (10-10-10 or 12-12-12 flowering plant fertilizer applied at recommended rates). At season’s end, after frost has wilted the foliage, give the plants their annual cut hack. This can be done either in early winter or in early spring before new growth commences.

In areas of extreme cold, winter mulching to prevent damage from ground heaves is recommended.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

okay, I'm hooked, where can we get it/??????

West Simsbury, CT(Zone 5a)

I have no idea, if you find out let me know, I have to have one too, lol. It sounds very pretty, and hardy.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Rosie,
What? You tell us about this great mum and can't tell where to get. :(

Westland, MI(Zone 5b)

In case you haven't found them yet I brought mine at Lowes. It takes about 3 years to reach max. height.
Rose

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Here in Michigan their asking $30.00 for the new mums.

I don't think soo.............

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

yikes!!!

Westland, MI(Zone 5b)

I got mine at Lowes in Westland Michigan for 10 dollars. Frank's had them for 14 dollars. I don't know where you found them for 30 dollars, but I would never had paid that much. Paul Lowes is right on Newburgh ans Warren.

Rose

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks Rose I'll check it out

Paul

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Yep, our Lowe's and Home Depot has the "My Favorite Mum" in large pots for $9.99 but unless I'm missing something, I didn't really see a "red" - I saw a maroon with a yellow center, is that it? I passsed them up because I was really hoping for a true autumn red :(

But if I save my pennies, I bet I can pick one up on sale in a few weeks when the frost nips them and they want to dump them for Xmas merchandise :)

Success, MO

Guys !!

GO BACK TO LOWES !! ON CLEARANCE !! GOT MINE YESTERDAY FOR $$ 3.99 !!!!! IT'S HUGE !!!

Already started some cuttings Yippy !!!! If they take,next spring I'll have babys to share !!

Also read this next year they will be out in 4 more colors !! Info. read in the garden club magazine Nov/Dec issue or at the site !

Only info. on where to purchase says...at selected retail centers ...

NOWeedSZ

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.