Question about cutting back ferns? Yes? No? Maybe?

New Milford, CT

MY DH has a fern bed he loves, and he needs to know if and/or when he should cut back dead fronds after the frost starts kicking in (Zone 5-6). Usually we just leave all that dead foliage lying around all winter, and chop it off in spring when new growth starts to appear, but maybe there's something different we should be doing?

This message was edited Aug 23, 2009 12:44 PM

Olympia, WA

Sounds normal to me - leave the dead stuff till spring, begun the haircut BEFORE new fronds start to show. That is only to keep from damaging the emerging fonds.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I cut all my sword ferns (polystichum minutum) back in the late winter/early spring just before the new growth started. I was amazed at how much more "real estate" it gave me. Needless to say, the ferns looked better this year than I've ever seen them look. I don't know if I'm supposed to do it then or not, but I'm planning on doing it again this year.

I also love the way the fern leaves compost and can be used as mulch to prevent weed germination. It would be good to know if I could do it in the fall, rather than in the spring.

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

I'm glad I located this post as I was about to ask the same question. Will be keeping an eye out for replies.

Roselle, IL

I cut all mine back in late fall and haven't had a problem! I wait until we've had one hard frost and then I do it!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Have been busily cutting back my sword ferns again this spring. I wonder if all ferns should be treated the same. Maybe there are some that shouldn't be cut back hard in the spring?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

If they're deciduous ferns (e.g. Onoclea sensibilis), cut away the dead fronds at the end of the winter. The dead fronds do provide useful soil insulation in the depth of winter, so don't cut until the end of winter.

If they're evergreen ferns (e.g. Polystichum munitum), DON'T cut the fronds while they are still green, as they're photosynthesizing and providing extra energy to help the new fronds expand. Only cut out old fronds after they have turned brown, which may be a year and a half or two years after they expanded.

Old dead fronds make excellent mulch for ferns and other plants.

Resin

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Resin, that's interesting. I'm going it all wrong (well, not all wrong - I cut them in the spring).

But I literally have 100's of them - the one thing we seem to be able to do is grow P. Munitum everywhere here - it's a weed. The problem with cutting only the brown ones is that they are in between so many green ones - and it would take twice as long as it does. Maybe I'll just make sure to leave a few green ones and see how that does.

I love, love, love the fronds for mulching.

Thanks for the information!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.