shade ground cover

Richmond, CA

have a big slope facing NE and need some ground cover !! otherwise it just sprout weeds !

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

What hardiness zone and how much sun/shade? How much average rainfall and what's the soil like?

Richmond, CA

Thanks for the reply - I am in No. California, = 9a - 9b. - It gets some morning sun - probably 3-4 hours.

Spooner, WI

Gingers are generally good in the shade. Not sure about where you are. And sedums sometimes do okay in shade when it's hot (zone 9). Ajuga is always a beautiful winner, and I think Lamiums would work. Other than that, I have no idea, but you should do a "custom plant search" on the Bluestone Perennials website:

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/index.html

You can put in zone, soil, light condition & plant type, among other things. I've learned that the more options you keep open, the more results you'll get...

Taylorsville, KY

I LOVE my ginger....it's my favorite ground cover. Asarum canadense...it's really pretty and tough. kim

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

For looks Asarum canadense would be my choice too. If you want something cheap, very fast coverage and ironclad ( actually invasive in some areas) you could consider Euonymous fortunei - Wintercreeper. It will certainly thrive and hold a slope.

The others mentioned here, Lamium, Ajuga and Sedums are better in the looks department too than Wintercreeper. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I haven't had luck with arum or lamium at my house. I don't know if it doesn't get enough cold or what. Ajuga is very nice and blooms beautifully in the spring. Mondo grass is a good candidate and also vinca minor. Creeping violets are a very good choice and will tolerate deep shade and tree roots but be sure that you don't want to dig them up any time soon. They are tenacious. If you have enough water there dichondra is an option too.

You might want to post this on the California forum too.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2009 5:20 PM

Richmond, CA

Thank you everybody - it is a great help !!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.