CLOSED: DIRT DIGGER"S " SEPT CORNACOPPIA GARDEN"

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

OK MY FRIENDS I HOPE THIS WILL BE A FUN FULLFILLED MONTH FOR EVERYONE WHO Join us .

Well this one is going to be the last swap I will be hosting for this group this year so lets Do a

FALL THEME your box should be of fall colors for your Partner :) can maybe also include Holloween
Items :))) EVERYONE LOVES Color So Lets see how colorful we can be .
DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE BLOOMS ON THEM
1. TYPE OF PLANT THAT WILL BE BLACK OR ORANGE
2. PLANTS THAT WILL BE RED OR YELLOW
3. TYPE'S OF FALL BULB'S

ANYTHING ELSE YOU MIGHT WHAT TO BRIGHTEN UP THE BOX WITH IS YOUR CHOICE :)))

BOXES MUST GO OUT BY SEPT 25TH PLEASE .

HOPE YOU WILL JOIN US .

SUSIE

NOTE !!!!!!! YOU !!!!!!!! HAVE AUG 31ST ENDS SIGN UP DATE :)

PLAYER'S SO FAR AS FOLLOWED :)

DEEJAY9 /SUSIE**************REC'D
PTILDA
FRUITOFTHEVINE/SUSAN*******REC'D
MORETZ/****************************REC'D
CJCJMASS************************REC'D
HAPPGARDEN/JOYCE
FROGGIE_GIRL/JULIE

This message was edited Aug 27, 2009 6:24 PM

This message was edited Aug 28, 2009 7:58 AM

This message was edited Aug 30, 2009 5:24 PM

This message was edited Sep 24, 2009 8:46 PM

Thumbnail by deejay9
Spooner, WI

I'd love to be involved, but I haven't done a swap with your group before.

NOT A PROBLEM love to have ya . PT Just keep in touch so we know for sure you want in on this :)))

susie

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Susie,

You know I'm. Are we doing our regular 5 plants and then mix in bulbs, etc?

TY, Susan

Spooner, WI

Thanks, Susie! I would love to get ideas from people of which types of things they've sent in the past, so I can make plans...

Susan : I think we should leave it up to what you have to share & how much you want to spend .
as for myself I love to recieve plants only & It does not matter how many as long as they are nice plants :) .

there might be some who are just starting out & May not have 5 plants to share . so that is why I'm going to leave it up to you all to choose what you can share with your partner :)

well time to go tuck the kids in their pens for the night :))) so you all have a great evening back in the morning .

susie

That sounds great, and fair.

Hi ptilda, This is a really great fun group. If you click on Susie's name "deejay9" and then check the threads she's started, you'll be able to bring up past Dirt Digger's swaps.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

i would love to try this,havent done it before,plus my bd is in this month so it will be like getting a bd present lol plus this month is a hard one for me so i think this will help for me to get through it thxs

GM & Welcome Both PT & Mortz This has been a great group & Lots of fun .

Just to Clarify a few rules of the group for the new players .
When I started this group it was for 5 plants ONLY But some also sent a Gift or 2 :)

But as I said Above there might be some who do not have 5 plants to send. so it is up to the sender what you have to share .

AS LONG AS

They are PERENNIAL - NOT INVASSIVE & THEY ARE FALL COLOR"S .

REDS / ORANGE / BLACK/ YELLOW

Or Maybe they Bloom in the Fall LIKE MUMS< ASTERS

Snellville, GA(Zone 8a)

Ok sounds like fun count me in.
cindy

Welcome cindy Happy to have you will us :)

You Know so many of us have loads of blooms for spring & summer but what about fall ??? Right Now is a great time also to check your local NURSIERS For Great bargains 2 for one 4/12.00 .

I Also just wanted to add that Sedum Like "autumn joy " & HEUCHERA'S Have fall colors , LIGULAR'S RUBECKIA"S . just throwing out ideas to share with your friends .

Maybe you can share what you might like to recieve so that your partner might have some idea .

IF YOU CAN EDIT THE POST YOU SIGNED UP ON , TO ADD YOUR LIKES Sure would help us all .

well time to get off here & go feed the critters have a great day .

susie

Spooner, WI

Coneflowers, Coleus (although an annual in this area, and I don't usually mess with it), japanese maple cuttings (not hardy here, but whatever...)

I'm also thinking about plants with black flowers, like Green Wizard Rudbeckia, any hollyhocks, iris, daylilies, columbine with black flowers, Plants with "spooky" names or seasonal-sounding names, like Batflowers, spiderwort, Toadlily, Spider Lily, Hosta August Moon, Hosta Autumn Joy, Hosta Ghost Spirit, vegetable seeds like squash, pumpkins, "Indian" corn, gourds, black string-beans, herbs...

Sound great PT Just Keep in mind At this time of year ANNUALS Will be to late for us or most of us to plant so I Don't recomend anyone to send them , Now some of you might do house plants & I Would say this is ok
IF YOU WANT THEN < BUT PLEASE NOTE IT IF YOU DO OR DO NOT >

AS For ME I DO NOT DO HOUSE PLANTS Wish I could but just no space for them .

Your other suggestion are really great :) Thank you . spooky names are good :) AUTUMN Names a great .
well off to the great out doors very soon .
susie

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I want play this go around. Glad to see you all. Welcome cjcjmass and ptilda, glad you joined. The more the merrier! I overwinter alot of annuals and tropicals. I love coleus so those would be fine for me.

55 degrees here.....this is really worrying me. My tropicals are none to happy. I put them in metal garden pots to add some warmth. Guess I need to get the garden room ready.......too early for this.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2009 8:29 AM

Ocean Springs, MS

I want in on this one, too. I will be back to post a "want list" soon. thanks, julie

Spooner, WI

Oh, are we supposed to post "want" lists? I didn't realize that. Guess I'll have to post later when I figure out what I'd like.

PT It would just be easier On whom ever gets your name to send at lease one of your wishes :)))
I have a new baby born this morning :) so not much work getting done :) hehhe

right now its curled up in my shirt :) while i have my lunch break .

Julie WELCOME Aboard :)

back later

susie

Thumbnail by deejay9

Julie, a bunch of us have posted on another thread about our likes and dislikes if you can find it. It is just for reference. Says something about dirt diggers and lists. Can't remember now. If you can't find it just yell....

Spooner, WI

Okay, likes:

Plants -
(generals)
Perennials
Re-seeding Annuals
Hardy in zone 3/4
Shade or part shade for the most part
Shrubs for above conditions
seeds okay, but prefer rooted plants when possible
Purple
Sun and part-shade flowering plants for my new "prairie" area
Wildflowers (for above)
"Weird" plants for my "weird" theme I'm putting in for my nieces & nephews
"Mini" plants for my Gnome Garden (see photos)
Anything deer-resistant (making a "hedge" of deer-"icky" plants around the outside of my hostas).

(specific plants)
I'm CRAZY about hostas (most of what I have is listed)
Heuchera (new addiction)
Daylilies (new addiction)
Iris (new addiction)
Echinacea
Columbine
Peonies
Lilies
Hardy Geranium
Spring Bulbs
Sedum
Sempervivum (hens & chicks)
Hardy lilypads/pond plants
Herbs

Non-plant items -
Birdhouses & butterfly houses
Miniature things for my Gnome Home (see photo)
Interesting pots
Toad houses
Home-made items!
Wind chimes
Anything having to do with music
Whimsical and "weird" items to go in the garden (not junky, just fun things I can tuck in places)
Art (specifically garden-art)

My garden themes -
(to give you a better idea of what I'm working on)
Edible ornamentals (both shade & sun)
"Weird" plants
Cottage garden (for my mom)
Northern "cactus" garden - sedum, sempervivums, dwarf grasses, etc, around a patio
Shade!
Hostas!
Prairie Garden (including wildflowers, but not exclusively)
Woodland garden
Bird-watching area (for my mother, who has health issues & needs to be able to enjoy from her picture window or from a bench in the front yard.

I'm pretty simple, and will appreciate anything you want to send (see below for exceptions).

Dislikes:
Lifting bulbs, unless it's REALLY cool! Even then, no guarantees...
Marigolds
Pink Flamingos
Junk without purpose
Disney characters in the garden
Cheap wind chimes & birdhouses that break right away, or fade, or get tangled...

Oaky, technical difficulties on the Gnome Garden pictures. Give me an hour or so...

Spooner, WI

Okay, here's the Gnome Home. I'm so proud of it! Made out of an old stump that is cut down so we can plant trailing plants in it (Wave Petunias, this year), and an old salesman's sample screen-door from ebay. I made the frame & put in a path, made a mailbox, woodpile for winter, and did landscaping with mini hostas (they are new this year, and so are TINY). Notice the tiny pots & little tools by the door.

Didn't have the Gnomes until today. My sister-in-law works at a thrift store & called me this morning telling me that these were donated today. I got them for $2.00 each! I also found a couple of lawn chairs that had holes cut into the bottom & had candle holders in them. I cut square pieces of scrap plywood & sanded & painted them to put over the holes, so they look like cushions. I'll try to get pics of those. Last thing I really need is a foot-square piece of the tiny pieces of stone tile held together by a piece of mesh (the kind that they use for bathrooms) to lay down for a patio!

Okay, I'll quit... lol

Here's a link to the progress, if you care. Excuse the photos, which were taken on my cellphone.

http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac152/ptilda/Gnome%20Home/

Thumbnail by ptilda

Hi Everyone!

And Welcome if this is your 1st time playing. We have fun and always enjoy each other's company. And you couldn't ask for a better hostess than Susie! Looks like that adorable new chick is already computer literate.

Here's the link where you can post your wants/ likes/dislikes. ptilda, we have a lot of likes in common. Plus I just started a Fairy garden last month, although yours is way ahead of mine, which by necessity I've confined to a big dish garden.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/985206/

You all are so creative. Crack me up......
Thanks for posting the link FOV I didn't get around to it.
I got home late last night and had my plants fromt he coop sooooo cute and my plants from the tropical swap and had to water my plants outside. It was a beautiful night to be outside!

GM to all
Just haven my morning coffee & then off to feed & water :) "critters "

PT Nice Garden & What A List This is or I think might be the last swap for the season we might be able to do one more just have to wait see how the weather is & If we don't get snow :( in OCT .

I still have about 20 or so Dwarf Irises to plant in my beds . so will try to get that done today .
if my new kid will let me out of her site for a bit :) hehe . I hope that the other one will be hatched when i get out there so that she will have a playmate :)

well Happ your right it was very nice out last night & I worked out till about 7:30 when the skitters came out I went in :) . but i did get many weeds pulled . have to go get more mulch today . "SOMETIME" :)

Not enough Hours in a day . Well Frankie is Gobbling for me so got to go you all have a great day . check back in later .

susie

We had nice gentle winds that kept the keeters at bay. After all the rain we have had we have lots of them. I didn't come in until 9:30. Played with my plants and just relaxed and looked around. Have tons of blooms setting on my brugs....finally. They bloomed all winter and would have not part of it this summer! I keep thinking I saw buds earlier but never a bloom, must of been wishing too hard, but now without a mistake they are buds....hooray!

Ocean Springs, MS

Who has the "orange" garden? Went visiting some local nurseries and saw some beautiful "orange" plants.
Some items I would love-
Chinese fringe bush
cape honeysuckle
black and blue salvia
"Blackie" sweet potato vine
red trumpet vine
any coleus that are dark (I can overwinter them)
any kind of asters
any coneflowers
Green Wizard Rudbeckia
Rangoon Creeper
Lily of the Nile Agapanthus 'ELAINE' (the very dark blue flower)

and any daylilies or other plants that are "spooky", red, black, orange, yellow
What about purple?

love, julie

This message was edited Aug 25, 2009 11:35 AM

My MIL called this morning and said she's coming for a visit today. And no, we're not going back out to Wally World!
Hubby's b-day was Sunday and all she wanted to ask him about was what I have blooming...lol

Hi froggies, love that list and you've just given me some great ideas. happgarden's working on an Orange and White garden.

Yes, my orange and white garden has 4 orange plants, the orange coneflower (can't remember the name), orange something cross, orange mexican sunflower, lilies, and lions tail. I have white dinner plate dahlias and a bunch of stuff that will need to be moved. What did you see? I have almost given up on orange plants, decided I may need to add yellow and purple.

Hope DH had a nice birthday, my DH will have one the first part of Sept. His toys have gotten way to expensive....LOL need to figure out what I am going to do.

Ocean Springs, MS

Happgarden, what if I get your name and have already told you about all the beautiful orange plants? LOL
If I don't get your name, then I'll post a list of the orange plants. love, julie

How funny Julie, I will wait..... LOL never even thought about that....

Hi Ladies
what a day trying to get ready for a garage sale with a few of my other neighbors . starts tomorrow so I may not be on in the morning . may not have the time but we will see depends how early i get up :)

I'm going to throw a twist into this swap as soon as everyone has signed up :) NOPE I WON"T TELL YA .

& TY fotv FOR THE BIG HEAD :) It's all of you that make it fun & easy to play hostess :)
well i have got to lay back & relax for the evening my feet hurt .

good night all
susie

Spooner, WI

Susie, I LOVE Suprises (except if they are bills or unexpected illness).

I Promise you it will not be a Bill from me :)
But i think you all will like it :)

well we got some rain last night & so i need to go out & dry things off good thing i had tarps over most :)
you all have a great day .

susie

Hope you make a bunch of plant money!

FOTV, what a great idea, take all the junk in my house (more room for plants) and sell it and have spending money for more plants....LOL Is this a viscous cycle?

Good luck on the sale. Rain here again today.......

Thank you but Looks as if I won't be Doing much at all today for it is a steady rainy out there this morning .

I put a sign up for them to HONK If they drive in :) So we will see How many TRUE Garage SALER"S THAT Will come out on a day like this :)))) ..

It is so dark & cool even my ducks are still snoozing :)

DON'T LOOK AS TODAY WILL BE VERY GOOD
BACK LATER

SUSIE

The visit from my MIL yesterday was so enjoyable. Since her knee replacement a few years ago she hasn't been able to do much gardening...and she used to be a master with picture-perfect gardens. It made all my sweat equity pay off when we took a walk around and she complimented what a beautiful job and flowers I've been able to grow. Coming from her, that was huge and probably the nicest compliment she's given me in 16 years...lol.

It's so blasted hot here there's a haze hanging in the air, I can't even see the outline of the mountains, and it's just plain oppressive trying to breath.

Cute Susie, HONK like a goose! You don't have any of those, do you?
A flock of a dozen or so flew by last week, a sure sign Fall's coming. I just love those clear blue September skies.

Yesterday I had to stop my car in the road while a gang of wild Turkeys ran across right in front of our house. They're usually back in our field eating grasshoppers.

Ocean Springs, MS

This swap is just too long to wait for! Just kidding!
I'm just like a little kid in a candy shop waiting to get my partner's name. Been looking at plants, but want to wait until I get my partners name to buy anything.
Can't find asters here. Makes me mad! I like the little blue ones, but have to order from an online source to get them!
love, julie

Julie bluestone perennials have them they have an aster collection 6 for $21.00 witch is a great deal I think .
I know this one is going to be a fun one also .
I just got a call from my brother His Grandson is getting married tonight in a las vegas wedding chaple & I can watch it on my computor how neet is that ???? :) So i have to tune in at 11 our time 45 min's yet :)

I can hardly wait to see it His Father is my nephew JIMMIE Over in IRAC that Julie sent me a Japanese Maple tree for him for this months swap it is planted but to dark to take picture :) .

well i have a few emails to answer so you all have a great evening .

susie

Spooner, WI

Julie, I'm feeling your pain! I'm looking at every greenhouse and nursery in the area, for ideas on great plants & stuff, but until I know who I have, I don't want to buy anything :(

Susie, have you ordered from Bluestone Perennials? I've been drooling over their online catalog, but am affraid to spend money if I'm not pretty certain I'm getting a good deal & healthy plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.