Damaged giant Green Arbovitae

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We have a giant Green Arborvitae about 9 feet tall. A neighbor's kid broke the top 36" at the main trunk. The top has about 40% of the trunk still attached. It is still green after about a week since the damage. Is there any way to put a splint on this and see if it can be saved?

Is there some coating that will help keep the wound from drying out while/if it heals? I have heard of using orange shellac.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can't help you on the splint question, but most of the current recommendations on tree wounds are not to paint stuff over them but to let them heal naturally so I'd skip the shellac.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Take a look at this splint using a board and screws. It's worth a try.

http://www.villagernursery.com/Reference/Handouts/tree_repair/Tree_repair_with_household_tools.htm

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Snapple45. It does look like the tree in your link. Will get out some screws and a piece of wood tomorrow. Any suggestions about how to keep the wound from drying out? I understand not using shellac. Didn't feel right anyway.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

You just want the cambium layers connected. With the cambium layers connected and trunk movement minimized at the break the rest will hopefully take care of itself. Don't paint anything on the broken area or attempt to seal it with anything. You'll only seal in fungi which can lead to rot. If you can get a before and after shot others here would appreciate it. It would be nice to know if this works.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.