What direction do bearded iris grow?

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Good thing I read somewhere on this forum to plant your iris all pointing the same direction or I would not have thought to do that and would have iris going every which way. But what I can't figgure out is which direction they increase and spread in. Mine are so new, that nothings happened yet. Would they move forward in the direction in front of the leaf fan? Or would they move backward toward the direction of the rhizome?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Typically when they increase it is from the base of the fan (where the new increases begin) The toe of the rhizome is where it was once connected to the mother rhizome. It sometimes has old roots under it, but it is usually what I call "bald"

Spicer, MN

I'm by no means an authority, but I try to plant my fans in the direction that they will have the advantage of most of the sun's rays. It probably makes no difference at all but they do say that the rhizome is like a 'solar panel'. Some plants will grow and make a nice circle and others spread out any which way. I hope I didn't confuse you.

Sha

South Hamilton, MA

You also want to direct them away from other plants or a wall of a building. I have one MTB which I directed towards the lawn so that it woulod not bother a nearby clump. It is a very vigorous grower.

That makes sense but how do you plant them, position wise, so that you are directing them away from a wall? I have lots of walls and wouldn't know were to plant them.

South Hamilton, MA

If wall is on the east, direct them to the west etc. If wall surrounds them direct in a circle. How to your walls lie?

I don't know which direction to put the fan or the foot to get them going the way that I would want.

South Hamilton, MA

The leaves point the way you wish to go. The part of the rhizome which is bare is where you have been.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.