Browning phlox

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

I am just full of questions today. All three of my Phlox 'Franz Schubert' have this browning on the leaves and haven't bloomed. The crispy part I'm not as worried about as the browning on the green parts of the leaves. They are young plants, but the 'Eva Cullum' I got at the same time are on their second set of flowers. They also don't have any of the browning. This is an awful pic; the leaves at the bottom came out best. The camera battery crapped out right after so I'll try again tomorrow. Maybe it'll be a little less windy too.

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek
Bennington, VT

I've had trouble with phlox in the past that looked like yours and now I spray them once when they are half grown with a fungicide. That seems to do the trick. Or, you can watch them closely and use it as soon as you see any evidence. They are susceptible to powdery mildew and get it almost religiously here in Vermont. Eva Cullum is a resistant variety, but so is Franz Schubert. Maybe you have them in different spots? Even so, being resistant doens't always protect it. They definitely don't like to have water on their leaves. Better to water them from below. Also, clean up old plants in fall and get rid of leaves to prevent any mildew or fungus from infecting next year's growth. Hope this helps!

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the info, they're actually both in bad spots in similar places (there are 3 of each), where they don't get enough sun either. On top of that there was a plant hanging on the side of the deck over the Schuberts. They probably got wet when I watered the hanging plant, I didn't even think about it. The new foliage all looks good and whoever makes it through winter will get moved in the spring to a nicer spot. Hopefully all of them!

Bennington, VT

That makes sense. Even though phlox are supposed to do OK in shade, I find them to be specular when in the sun. They seem so much more vibrant and have many more flowers, and they seem to last longer. By the way, when they die off from fungus/mildew, they always seem to come back the next year like it never happened. Good luck with them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.