What is your surprise hybrid plant of any kind?

Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4a)

To make it clearly, does you have a plant that come up with unexpected colors and foliages that doesn't match any known varieties and you don't expect it at all. Just to show it to everybody!

This columbine was very unexpected - I hardly had any in the yard - bugs usually attack them viciously and there are lots of competition - in early summer this bloomed and shocked me with its colors. I had for a few years some purple columbine from my grandma's garden thought they all is "gone" this year and the only other columbines I have in the yard is wild columbine, Aquilegia canadensis in regular red colors, and hybrid in red colors and even hybrid between the red hybrid and wild columbine with petals and spurs somewhat between the two varieties.

Thumbnail by Malus2006
Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's a side view

Thumbnail by Malus2006
Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

Malus2006, very nice, are you saving seed? I would say most likely, have you germinated any and is it true to this cultivar. good luck with it, Jim

Kitchener, Canada(Zone 5a)

Wow I like that. It almost looks like the alpine columbine. Who'd have thought purple + red = blue?

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

This unexpected surprise hybrid zinnia flower form had a scabiosa flowered zinnia parent. The scabious influence can produce many desirable zinnia flowerforms, but this bloom reminded me a bit of a "gear".

ZM

Thumbnail by Zen_Man
Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4a)

Very nice - even the petals have cupped shape to them!

Norfolk, VA

I. nil Japanese morning glory pink star on white background.

Thumbnail by MGMan Thumbnail by MGMan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.