A partner for Dawn

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8b)

I am getting Dawn from Joy Creek in a few days. I know some of you have mentioned having her. Any suggestions who to pair her with, or is she better on a trellis by herself. I have a nice shady spot. Thank you so much for any suggestions.

Appleton, WI

Just my opinion, but every clematis can hold their own in the garden. But...Dawn is so beautiful, she will make a great impact all by herself.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you, JuliaJayne

I am disappointed! I had ordered Dawn from Joy Creek. My order arrived today and they did not ship Dawn and two others. They said they were not available. I have my hole dug for Dawn, darn.

Appleton, WI

My post made little sense. I should remember not to post when I'm tired. lol

Did Joy Creek say when they were going to ship?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I've heard that about Joy Creek more times than seems possible.

Delaware, OH

stock always lower now. order in winter for spring delivery for best selection everywhere. i can 't wait till the brushwood out of stock notifications start coming up as back in stock. i will pre order and have all held for spring delivery if possible. i need to focus and take care of the ones i have this fall, and have about 25 holes already dug for clems i have in containers right now. will plant them out mid sept.
this time of year i always feel like i have more to do than motivation to do it with. and watering sometimes takes the bulk of time right now. i enjoy watering in dim light so i do not see weeds and other things that need attention.

mother nature sent soaking heavy rain last night, which is a blessing this time of year (we are usually dry in august). so more time for fun with g kids.

Appleton, WI

I could use some extra motivation too. Maybe this weekend....maybe.

Glad to hear you got a good soaking rain. It makes the gardening life so much easier when it rains.

Delaware, OH

major soaking rains today. we managed to go to the club and swim with the g kids and have lunch, between showers, and now we have major rain again. will be great won't need to water clems till next week so maybe can garden focus on other chores out there this weekend. family taking off saturday morning.
we never get this kind of rain in august, but, then again lots of things not normal this year climatically speaking.

W of Cleveland, OH(Zone 5a)

I spent 3 hous yesterday morning watering - then I was too tired and it was too hot to do anything else in the afternoon. I tried, but could only take about 15 minutes out there at a time. Then it started raining last night. Now it is dark and getting ready to rain again. By this time of year we're usually mowing dust - not this year. My gardens don't know what to do.

Delaware, OH

It has been amazing rain for us too Dathan.
I know what you mean the recent weather.
I can not work outside in extreme heat
so it is either 6 am or not.
Haven't checked forecast for weekend but will
be posting some
photos tomorrow of some
clems
and
regrowth post pruning.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Mary, the same thing happened to me several wks ago. I had ordered two clems from Joy Creek. They first told me they were available. Then, they only shipped one, so I paid the same shipping for one as I would have for two. I was very disappointed. If they had told me it was out of stock, I would have chosen another one in its place.

However, I am very impressed with two prior clems I ordered from them. The roots were fantastic and the service was very good. They take a lot of time if needed on the phone giving very good advice and are extremely friendly and knowledgable. So, I will probably order from them again in the future, but Debbie is still my first choice. She also lets you know if something is unavailable before shipping.

CG, I'm impressed with the regrowth of my G3's as well. I'll have blooms again soon on several I pruned pretty severely, but not quite to the ground, after you returned from your trip and advised us to prune the G3's mid July, I think. I can't believe how fast they have grown back.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8b)

I did the same thing. I took CG's advice and cut all my G2's and G3's back severely. All of them except 2 G2's have come back. I think I will actually get blooms this September on a number of them. What would we do without our Mentor!!!

Delaware, OH

mary, how many weeks since g 2's were pruned? have you fertilized a couple of times , weak liquid type? (assuming weather has not been heat wave hot and water is ample)
you are building stronger plants by caring for them and alleviating them from non productive foliage that kept them form focus on root development.
glad it worked out, but wanted to re stress it is too late in colder zones to do this now. bastille day, or before , as first bloom period is waning, is optimum.

i had some really stress ed g 2's that got hard pruned mid july and they have re emerged. however, in prior years i have had them not re emerge until the following spring. but come back a better plant for sure. hanging on to damaged, non productive foliage is a different gardening style that foe me has not worked as effectively as taking action and re starting the plant.
thanks for the great feedback. appreciate it.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8b)

CG, I pruned them the day after your return from your Clem trip. My Nellie Moser and Duchess of Edin are two feet high now with beautiful foliage and I believe they are forming buds. Claire de Lune and Mrs. Chummy are about a foot and Pink Champagne about 6 inches. All but 4 have come back, Margaret Hunt is one of them?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I cut mine back too when CG returned from her trip, and my Margaret Hunt, which I only put in this May, was the slowest to come back. And I only got one shoot, whereas when I cut her back she had 4. She gets plenty of sun where she is, but others whose bases are well shaded this time of the year have also been slower to come back. Leaves on those are smaller, stems not as strong. Meanwhile, Etoile Violette who I cut right down to the ground is well up the trellis with lots of new shoots.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I also cut back many of my clems in July to the ground.This is the trimming report: Margaret Hunt is now a foot high with 2 shoots. Dominika is 4" and one shoot, Bijou is 4" with 3 shoots, Semu 1 ft with 1 shoot.The best growth spurt is from Venosa Violacea who was nibbled to the ground by snails about a month ago after being trimmed. I transplanted her away from the snails and now is 3 feet high but 1 shoot. My Etiole Violette is 3 feet with 3 shoots (all SSV)
PPE 1 ft/1 shoot, triternata 'Rubromarginata' 1 foot/ 2 shoots. ( Bluestone)

I also agree it is disappointing that vendors ship without telling you about out of stock orders. That happened to me with ChalkHill last fall.

I cut 3 Ville de Lyon to about 5 inches mid July. Something cut one of them to the ground twice. Two of them are 6 foot with buds and the one that was cut back twice is about 2 foot again. I'm impressed with the growth - they'd never been trimmed before and had never bloomed twice.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Yours sounds very healthy. I have one that I trimmed afew times since planting this spring. Got it from Lowes. It has 2 shoots and is 3 ft high, so it has some catching up!

Oh, they were older clematis - I just never knew that they could be trimmed....I just put them in the ground and let them do their thing. Then I learned on this forum that they should be cut back every year - who knew? Or who didn't know, except me? Anway, they've loved the pruning and are coming back strong.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I am on a steep learning curve too.

Delaware, OH

dathan, so glad you ville de lyon is responding. the first year i did that to mine ,i thought i was crazy....must have been 5 years ago. i had to , the plant was just too browned off and stressed. it responded with that much growth an d a nice crop of blooms by sept.
i have noticed that now it gets much less stressed, i kind of do the really hard prune with it mid july every other year, or as it shows me it needs it. and of course the spring routine.
i am still on a learning curve with clems. ya have to love that about them!
dathan, you are building a much better plant!

Guru - It is with thanks to you that I cut them back. I was not expecting such great response from them. It's probably the first time that they were fertilized and watered regularly also. They probably thought they had died and gone to heaven.

Thanks for the great information. My clematis and I thank you!!

Delaware, OH

my pleasure , neighbor.
there is nothing as magnificant as a mature ville de lyon in peak bloom is there? it is such an amazing clem.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

CG,I have really appreciated your thorough and friendly advice too. I hope I have some nice displays next year.

Delaware, OH

thanks bananna...you southerners grow some great clems! i love clems and love sharing anything i learn. one reason is that the my first few clem years with no cotw , no forum etc were like being in a dark hallway. now, the info and resources are so much better. and if more folks grow more clems then we will get more new varieties etc etc. it is so challenging compared to the perennial gardens of my yesteryore.

oh, my failures have been many!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.