What should I do with them?

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

I potted up 4 hydrangea which I had rooted into 1 gallon pots about a month ago. We won't be getting frosts until some time in October. When there are only a few frosts, I can bring them inside or protect them with remay. But what should I do planting them out? I do live in a frost pocket behind the house where I keep most of my seedlings and young plants. I believe in front the house faces south. Should I put them close
to the house (which will act as a shield from the icy winds coming down the mountain,) or try another place?
Suggestions please.

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

I take it you don't want ot plant until spring correct?

I would let them go dormant outside then move them into an unheated garage for the winter. If they are inside they still need the moisture they would not get from the elements.

If you know where you want them plant them in late fall and give them some protection. They should be hardy enough by fall to make it through a zone 6 winter. As long as you didn't plan on blooms next year. I had little babies that I planted last fall that survived and have grow nicely this season.

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Thanks so much brookreader, I think I may plant them out this fall. They would have a head start.

Gloria

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.