ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 160 Labor Day Coming Soon?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1020578/

Man the kids are already going back to school.
Summer is officially winding down.
Well not really they just start WAY early these days.... LOL!

And the Mom's say YES!!!!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

|I posted on the other thread, so not gonna bother moving it here.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
Sorry Bonnie we must have posted about the same time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's Bonnie's Post.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6962888

Thanks Ric, guess you thought it important enought to move it. I printed off the instructions that you gave in the link last night, and will be going to Lowes tomorrow to see if they have the products mentioned. Hope it is a good and fast fix.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Good Luck!
Let us know how it turns out.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Doesn't it seem early for the kids to go back?!?! Of course the kids here get out for a week for the fair in September. So just about the time we get a routine going, we have to hit the breaks and start over.

Maddie started kindergarten so I only have Nolan at home. Hey, I took a "first day of kindergarten" picture and forgot to get it off the camera. No crazy faces either. HA!

Craig is in the process of interviewing with a company in Jacksonville. People ask if we'd really move to Florida and our answer is HECK YES! Strangely, a friend/neighbor asked about buying some land from us last week. Bizarre timing.

Bonnie, I'm sorry I don't know anything about fiberglass tubs. I did refinish our cast iron claw foot tub and it turned out really nice-better than when I hired it done the first time!

I missed all the pond talk. I bought my liner from Harrison Ponds. I ordered online and it was shipped within a day. They are great to deal with and really quick!

I thought I'd be posting more but I'm kind of lost. I haven't worked since Friday, the kids started school on Monday, we have soccer a couple of nights a week and games start this weekend. Monday I tore my monster desk apart (where I'd spent that last four months). Yesterday I worked on rearranging that side of the kitchen, moving the pantry shelf and still have to sort out my other desk. I put the kids on the buses the last two days then took Nolan for a walk. Then we just sort of putz around the house doing little jobs and hanging out. Like I said, I'm just kind of lost.

Hubby is still helping the neighbor off and on and I've yet to venture outside to tackle all the weeds. It's been SO hot! And I can't take Nolan out there in the sun all day. I can't believe the weeds! Ric! Those grasses you gave me are huge!! What's it been? 2 years? They are probably ten feet tall and four feet across already!

Guess I better get ready for the second bus. LOL

Waddy, KY

Chele, good luck on Craig getting the job. I wouldn't be wild about moving but with the way things are a job is a job and we do what we have to.

I've been baking pretty hard this week. We started the Lexington Sunday market last week and I pretty much sold down on my breads. I've got a batch of salsa in the fridge hopefully I can cook off tonight and I need to make a batch of tomato jam. I promised a man I'd have some this weekend. At the rate I'm going I might be a liar.

Bonnie, good luck on getting that tub fixed. The price they quoted you sounded like Mt. Everest. Surely you can get it done at a more reasonable price.

Better get to work....

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Good luck on the jobfront Craig!

JAX?
Well at least you have plenty of Friends down there.
And I have a few more I can hook you up w/...........
Pictures of the Grass?

Off to the Pond
Ric

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning all!
Hey Chele...what did I say about those grasses...hmmmm...a while back??????? And you wanted me to dig them up??????? LOL!!
Good luck on the job interview Craig!
My son interviewed for a job too. Had to take a test, which he aced...all except for the personality part. It said he wasn't a good 'fit' for the job. The boss and the 'big boss' were pulling for him...but said this company is big on taking those tests to heart?????
Guess he will find out soon.
Well Dave dug me a new flower bed last night...lol. We have this grassy area across the drive from the house....where the hot tub sits. Anyway...it is hard to mow...and eventually we want to put some type of patio/deck there. Sooooo...he just started at the one end and made some space for me to plant what I still have sitting at my back door!
Of course, now it is raining off and on here...so don't think I will get much planted today.
Tomorrow it is school clothes shopping with the gkids. I always help out with their clothes...something I started a long time ago. They look forward to it...and so do I.
Well..hope you all have a great day! Got to get busy here! Big ~~~~~~~~~~~~!!!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I had a really busy day yesterday. Exercise, then off to Walmart for a prescription and some groceries. Came home and put tomatoes, peppers, garlic, onions and mushrooms on to roast in the oven. Then over to Berties to check on her (her back was out) and she was getting ready to pick tomatoes, so I helped her pick those. I didn't do it for pay, but I came home with 8 banana peppers, 4 ears of corn, a quart of pickled beets and some beet juice for pickled eggs. Yum...

I wanted to have the roasted sauce with spaghetti for supper, but Bill didn't so we had the banana peppers stuffed instead. Yum on that too.

Had to go let Mark and Tina's dogs out since they were not going to get in until late from their vacation in Chicago, and her brother was not available to do it yesterday. Then a stop at Sears for Bill to pick up some tool he needed.

Got home and the silly koi had knocked over the elephant ear plant (AGAIN!) and this time they managed to get right down in the old potting soil I had used when I first potted them up...you guessed it, perlite in the pond EVERYWHERE! So I repotted the EE and I don't think they'll be tipping that over now, must weigh a 100 pounds. Then tried to get as much of the perlite out as possible. What a job. There is still some there today, but not nearly as much as last night. Didn't come in until after dark and I was so tired I didn't even clean the kitchen.

I'm hoping today is a better day pond wise! Speaking of the pond, Lou if you're lurking, and I'm sure you are ^_^, what do I do with this pond forget-me-not? Is it hardy, or do I need to plan on bringing it inside for winter? By the way, it is just lovely. So glad you thought of me.

Have some cleaning that MUST get done, so I'm off.

hey gang
raining and thunder here.
Chelle wishing Craig well on the job interview. Wow Florida ? hmmm nice ocean area and Disney what more can you want ?
Well got more canning to do i think .
kids have soccer today , i think ?
Cookie your sure got some naughty fish . Bad fishys .
garden is doing ok.
Did anyone hear that Critterologist (aka Jill ) just adopted a baby !!! Where have I been ??
well got stuff to do
take care
sue

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Joyce sorry to hear about the Koi problems.
Course that is why we vowed never again to have them..... lol!
Unless it hits -40 this winter the Forget-me-nots will be just fine.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2433/

We moved some more rock and gave Wu a bath.
Then a quick stop at Lowe's.
Pretty much did the day.
We still have to find a capstone but the falls basic shape is done.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Ric, looking good, and I am green with envy. I want one so bad, but until and unless DH takes a crash course in pond construction, it will not happen here.

I found the fiberglass patch kit at Lowes today. So, will be presenting it to DH tomorrow. He has gone to the Indiana State Fair today/tonight with his DB. Thanks to that and Rics link, we may be able to live with the current tub.

Waving to Marcy, sue, Joyce and others who may have posted during the day. I am off to check email, and then bed.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Koi-less pond plants

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Spent the day spending money-- you gotta go with what you do well, you know? Managed to hit 2 bookstores, Smith & Hawken (going out of business), Macy's for facial cleanser, Easy Spirit for new purse (on sale, and then I found a rip in it when I got home), 2 needlepoint stores for a certain overdyed thread & some new scissors (I wrecked the others in the washing machine--always check your pockets), and I can't remember what else. Oh, I found a couple stocking stuffers, plus a cool votive for one sister and a Portmerion tray for the other. Lucky girls!

No rain on this side of town yet, although I got caught in a cloudburst in Kenwood.

Gotta go, my restless legs are going to walk off my body if I don'tget up!
Pat

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

We got a little over a half inch of rain last night. Everything looks so fresh and lively today.

Guy is coming to pick up the aquarium today. Hope he brings strong help with him!

Oh, Bonnie, just jump in with both feet and do a pond. Bertie didn't know anything when she started hers and well....you've seen hers, it's amazing.

Cookie

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Pat, where is Smith and Hawkin? I only knew they had a catalog. I love their stuff...

Waddy, KY

I loved Smith and Hawkin when they had clothes in their catalog. The dresses were long and flowy and cool to wear. I still have one that's very comfortable. Everything was pretty pricy though.

No rain at the garden last night. I wanted to put the cultivator on the tractor and get the beans and cole crops cultivated before the rain comes in but by the time DS, DD and I got the tomatoes, squash and okra picked it was too late to get it done. The tractor was hooked to a sprayer and by the time we got that off and the cultivators on it would have been too dark to see. I've missed so many windows of opportunity to get that done because of other things....I need to get up to the daylily patch this weekend and dig a couple of orders. The grass up there is horrible and I don't know exactly when I'm going to work that in. I need to take a couple days off from work just to work!

Going to get that kettle of salsa in jars tonight or else!

Later taters!

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Hey gang,

I can't find Bonnies Roasted tomato sauce. Can someone point me to the link or post the recipe please.
Between my dad and I we have so many tomatoes this year and the neighbors have had enough already. lol

Thanks, Donna

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

What the heck am I growing? This was in a tomato hubby purchased. It looked like some sort of cucumber/squash/pumpkin seedling. It had a bend in the stem and I didn't think it would even live. Not only did it live, it's thriving but what is it??

Here is a leaf.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I've obviously ruled out it being a cucumber. LOL

Here is the fruit.

Is it a squash? Pumpkin?? I'm trying to figure out when I'm supposed to pick the darn thing.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Ric, here is a shot of your grasszilla from about 100' away. (you do not see the weeds).

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is a shot of the other one. No way to crop out the weeds as I wanted you to see the full size M. variegata and M. zebrinus in the same bed (and years older).

You gave me these in garbage bags a couple of years ago. You had helped someone divide theirs. I can't remember where you said you got them or what you said they were. I think you said M. giganteus or M. floridus or????? I know I had the M. floridus (sp?) a few years back but they changed the name.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Waddy, KY

Girl, you sure that isn't just Foxtail on steroids????

Your weeds ain't as bad as my weeds. I'm seriously considering taking the tractor and mower, setting the mower on the highest setting and mowing the whole darned patch off. I've got a couple orders to dig over the weekend and not another until October. They should be grown back out by then, reckon?

The actual flower beds I'm thinking about taking the weedeater to. That would be lots faster. Surely it's getting late enough in the season to not hurt what I'm cutting off....

Janet

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Looks like a pumpkin Chele or a pumpmelon or a waterkin... one of those....

Man that grass went NUTS!
Could it be Giant Miscanthus..... we have some about 12' tall now from 3 years ago.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

It's sure some big grass, isn't it?!?!

Oh, you didn't see the "real" weeds. Those are just some weeds. LOL You should see some of the other beds...sigh.

I'm going to pull what I can, weed eat some more, RU the edges and go from there. It's a total wreck. I even have a patch of Jerusalem artichokes killing out some hems. I'd sit down and cry but where would that get me?? LOL

Hey, I'm seriously thinking about pony tailing the hems and cutting them off then nuking everything around them. By October, no one will be any worse for the wear.

I didn't even open my website this year. :(

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for clarifying that Rick. ROTFLOL I guess I will see how big and what color it is in a week or ten....

You may have said Giant Miscanthus. I can't remember. waaaaahhh.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It 'might' be from Jon.
I'll ask when he gets home.
So many plants....lol!

I need a cheap media for a bio filter...

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

'Chele, that looks like the 'Japanese' pumpkins I grew 2 years ago; the seeds came mixed in a seed trade. Pick when the vines start to die back, but before frost. I had about 30 of them and they kept really well all winter in the root cellar. Use like a butternut, or pumpkin. Tasty.

I've been lurking, and mostly just being busy with genealogy now that a 3rd cousin out in NM have connected and are sharing notes.

Also doing some canning and dehydrating. Dehydrating green beans, and peach leather... freezing tomato pieces until I get enough to run the pressure canner. Freezing all the strained blackberry and raspberry juice until cooler temps. Got a mess of beets from my neighbor and making some pickled beets and onions. First batch was beets roasted with shallots and fresh rosemary, then sliced and pickled. Yum!

darius that sure sounds yummy. Cool on the finding a cousin too. i like NM , been there and it was nice.
Chelle that sure is some grass you got thar. yikes
neat pumpkin or what ever it turns out to be , it looks pretty :)
rain rain rain and more rain
over 4 " today !
mud everywhere
guess i don't have to water my garden today
Pat good finds on the shopping , yeah i love Smith and Hawken too . I didn't know they were going down :(
anyone seen or heard from Neal ???
Geo we miss you , hope all is well
Ky what do you do with all your okra ? does all of it go to farmers market ?
ok got to get kids ready for soccer
later
sue

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Ric, have you tried charcoal and/or quilt batting? Those always worked for us. We also used pea gravel and at one point we used lava rock (RINSE IT FIRST-A LOT!!).

I'm trying to remember when you gave me that grass. There were 2 chunks in black trash bags. I think it's when I brought you the ears for Rox. I think that is when you gave me the grasses and maybe the peony?? It's when we were still running to and from the other house.

Thanks Darius! The vine is nice and perky and going gang busters so I guess it will hang there for a bit longer. The funniest thing is how quick it grows! One day there was nothing, then it was about the size of a fist and within a few days it passed up softball sized. I supposed I could have mentioned it has orange flowers.

Hey Sue! I thought I'd have a few years before I had to divide or move that grass. HA! It's already shoving everything else out of the way. LOL

well we made it through a dry game
both kids played against eachother and that was interesting LOL
T is watching the game with Austin
we have a pumpkin and it grows like wild thangs !! LOL
good luck on the grass Chelle :)
i have spider plants i m dividing like crazy "ack"
not much her folks
good night

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Quilt batting! That was it!
Thanks Chele I couldn't remember what you had used.
It is Giant Miscanthus I'm almost certain.
Miscanthus 'Giganteus'
It clumps but they are HUGE clumps. We have ours in a barrel.
And it doesn't set viable seed.
BUT we now have a Miscanthus G. /M. Zebrina clump growing in the yard.
At least we think that is what it is.
Both are supposed to be sterile.......
hc has a good stem shot here.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/4537/
Anybody ever invite him to RU or here? He's in Cincy.

Which spiders T?
We are always looking for new varieties.

We had a bit of a problem w/ the HT last evening.
The control panel just went dead.
Looked around on line about problems and found there was a fuse that could be the problem.
Tested this morning and found everything was OK to the fuse so......
I finally found the fuse at HD popped it in and everything's running fine! Yeah!

While we were out we bought a 37 gallon horse-proof trash can and lid at Tractor Supply.
That will be our Bio-filter.
Had most of the PVC and stuff already so I'll start making it tomorrow.

While I was getting the perimeter ready for trimming the liner Rob was working on the Brickroom paving.
She's raised and leveled the bricks by about 4 " (pond dirt).
Tomorrow we'll do the sanding.

Ric

This message was edited Aug 20, 2009 9:38 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Wow! I want Robyn to come do mine!! Everything is really looking good Ric!! I would say that is a giant Miscanthus too. That's what I have in the side yard....also the Zebrina.
They are all huge!
As for hczone6...I haven't seen him post in a long time? Think the last time I saw a post he said he wasn't renewing? Or did I imagine that????
Well...I was relieved of my money today...lol! Took the gkids shopping for school clothes.
Ashley pretty much knows what she wants...and is a good little shopper. I did help her decide on a couple of things. She picked out some expensive sock and undies. I explained to her, if she got the ones that were on sale for half that price, she would have more money for other clothes. Didn't take but a few seconds for her to switch them...lol!
She got some really cute clothes..jeans, skirts, tops, dresses...as well as the socks and undies. She should be pretty well set, except maybe for some warmer things for winter.
Dawson could care less about clothes of course...lol. He spotted a shirt that had a little car attached to it. He latched onto that right away.!! It was the car he wanted..not the shirt.!!
The only thing that was of interest to him, was the fact that he can't very well work the top button or snap on jeans. Mom told him his teacher would help him if he had to go to the bathroom...but he nixed that idea in a hurry...and said he wanted pull up pants...LOL!
Ahhh kids!!! Such fun!
Anyway...when I picked them up, Ash asked how would she know how much she could spend? I said well..here's the deal: I have x amount of dollars to spend on you both. Split it..or whomever needs it the most..which I knew would be her. And when it's gone..it's gone!!! The end.
We kept the calculator going...and when we got to the cash register, I only had to add 2 dollars to the total to make up the difference. I thought we did pretty good!! And I'm glad that's over for this year!!!
Now tomorrow I get to go do more shopping...groceries. And that means driving through the fair traffic too...yuk!
I am looking forward to the weekend!!!
Have a great night all!!

Goodness, I can't be gone long from here, too much going on. Janet, and Chele, I will put my weeds up against yours. I don't know if this is a contest that I want to win or not. But be that as it may, my daylilies are hanging on, even if they are weed infested. They will be getting a good dose of Preen next spring, mid summer, and fall. I just had so much other stuff to do that they didn't get the attention they needed. They are so carefree, that I went overboard and really neglected them this year. I have many to dig, and am hoping that we get rain tonight so that maybe, just maybe, I will be able to dig some tomorrow.

Chele, I vote with Darius. I have never seen anything like that. At first I was inclined to say it was a gourd, but I really don't think it is. The grass on steroids. Glad that you have it and I don't!!

Janet, if you are not digging until October, I think mowing the daylily foliage would work. I cut the foliage back severely before shipping anyway.

Marcy, better you than me. I gave up shopping for school about 5 years ago. DGD is so picky about her clothes, and I can't abide the long debates about 1 article of clothing. Her mom does it all.

Sue, that is no fair having the kids play on opposite teams. You know one of them will always be disappointed. Whose idea was that rule?

Ric, things are looking really good.

Joycet, and no, I will not be trying to do a pond by myself.

I had an appointment with my macular degeneration specialist today. Had an emergency patient come in, and had to wait about an extra hour. Didn't get home until about 5:30, and then had to cook dinner. DS and his SO came to make roasted tomato sauce, and I helped them out a bit. Otherwise, I was just a consultant on that job. They did most of it, and cleaned the kitchen afterwards. My knd of canning.

Goshsmom, we don't have that particular store in my area, so don't know if I would have been a customer or not.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

He posted yesterday and is renewed thru June of next year.
Hmmmm..... let's go w/ imagination.... lol!

Sounds like you and the Grans had a blast.
I was surprised they held the Reunion last weekend.
Usually we're fighting the Fair traffic too.

You can actually see the Deck now and if we can find some more rock we'll have the rubber all done tomorrow.
Have to find a place for the filter.
I guess we'll hide it in the Bamboo.

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Smith and Hawken was both an online & catalog store, & then they had some bricks & sticks stores, too. I bought stuff from the catalog occasionally-- most of it has always been well beyond my price range. But they did have some beautiful & unique stuff. The store in our area is in CIncinnati, on the east side, in Rookwood Pavilion in Hyde Park. It's set a bit apart from the bulk of the stores-- it's next to a Starbuck & some other place that changes once every year or two.
Right now they are not doing any sales off the internet, & things are only abt 25% off, with a few things 40% off. I went in for a Japanese hoe, which they were out of, but the sales guy said they'll be open through October & that they're still getting shipments in. So I ended up picking up some copper wind chimes and 2 sets of interlinking plant supports-- billed as peony supports but currently holding up my Benary Giant zinnias.

LOL-- I went to an 80th birthday party for DIL's grandmother. I hope I have that many people who even know me if I make it to 80! In any case, I took her a vase of zinnias, mint leaves, and oat grass stems and got rave reviews. Remind me to do that all the time: it was simple, held up in transport, and I could heap in the flowers because I'd raised them from seed.

I'm finally getting some tomatoes to ripen. We've had several Juliet & Cupids (Roma types), lots of cherry sweet 100's, and a couple German Johnsons. The GJ's are huge but have a mealy texture & not much flavor. I brought in a couple more Black Russians today, and some Black cherry tomatoes. They look so wierd-- but they taste scrumptious (spelling?)--- they taste real good!

Spent over an hour weeding one bed and trying to pull up the dang^&*$%$(**#^-blasted locust tree starts. I'm abt ready to get a backhoe & take up the whole yard.

Ric--love the brick-- along with everything else you guys are doing.

BAdseed-- should I be cutting back the daylily leaves? Blooms all gone now (sob).
Pat

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Forgot the late evening picture of my zinnias-- can't believe they're not all moldy with all the rain we've had!
Pat

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Pat, you don't have to cut them back and some say you shouldn't but many do. Did that clear it up for you? LOL A lot of people do cut them back this time of year because the foliage gets so ratty looking. They will have time to grow all new foliage so I don't think it matters either way. They do look much nicer after a good haircut.

I'm thinking about cutting all (530+?) of mine back just so I can get in there and really attack the weeds. That blasted purple flowered mimosa looking weed is waging war. I can't think of what it's called but I've never seen anything grow faster!

I did talk to HC (Jon?) several times a couple of years ago. He wasn't really up to attending a RU. Maybe it's worth asking him again. I think he had a new/young baby last time I talked to him. He's a little south of Cincinnati but it's still a doable trip.

Quilt batting is cheap enough and you can spray it out and use it several times before you trash it. If you put it close to the waterfall/outlet, you catch almost all of the big gunk.

Sue, are your little kid teams co-ed? Here, most are co-ed in the spring, including the older kids. Maddie's team is still co-ed in the fall but the rest of them are all boys or all girls. I got a break this year since Carly is playing up on Kristenne's team. So I ONLY have four teams to keep up with. ha

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning!
Pat...LOVE your zinnias! I just think they are such a cheery flower!
Ric...I never thought to look and see if he had renewed...duh!
Bonnie, being a consultant is MUCH easier...dontcha think? LOL!
Sue..yeah...I think that's terrible the kids had to play against each other! What are they thinking???
Well...didn't sleep well last night. First of all..I have several chiggers on my legs, and they started itching...so that woke me up. Then the RLS kicked in. So sat in my recliner in the living room a while...and evidently fell asleep there..as it was 1 1/2 hrs later when I woke up..lol. Got up..went back to bed at 4 am. Then the noise started! Woke both Dave and I up! Some poor animal/bird was being eaten by another...yuuuuukkkkkk. Poor thing!!
I know that's nature...but I don't want to hear it! Even my cat got up and moved to another room!!!
Anyway....... I am off to fight the fair traffic to get to Wallyworld...!! Ohhhh..my very fav thing to do!!!!!! Hahaha!!! NOT!!
Hope you all have a great day!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.