Purple - fleshed sweet potato

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

I know this is tropical fruit section, but how about a purple sweet
potatoe? I have heard they are deliscious and swet. I love sweet
potatoes and would love to try to raise some of these potato. My husband has some
sweet potato plants but i would like some of these. Is there a catalog, where these can be purchased.
I hear there is a Hawaian variety and also read that they had some in North Georgia or Carolina area.
Any news? thanks

Beverly Hills, FL(Zone 8b)

Okinawan sweet potatoes are the purple inside and tan on the outside. I just ordered some from this site: http://www.mericlonelabs.com/orderform.

How? I tried twice and have heard nothing from them yet? I believe it is too late for
us now but I sure want some for next year. DH put some Ga. Jet swt. pot. in a
long container he built and tne one he got out this AM looked so pretty and smooth.
I want to try it with them. Thanks

Beverly Hills, FL(Zone 8b)

I emailed Debbie and heard back from her promptly. She is suppose to be sending me a box full this week.

This is what Debbie wrote on charges:

Hi:
I sell the plants/starts which are 8-10" cuttings. Each will produce a fully bearing plant. The cuttings are .99 cents each and shipping is flat rate priority $4.95. I can fit about 25-30 plants in the flat rate box. I can ship larger orders too. Let me know if you need quotes.
I have Okinawan, Uala and other purple varieties. See my website: mericlonelabs.com
Thank you

I am going to try it again. Maybe I did something not right. Thanks

Virginia Beach, VA

Purple sweet potato can be bought at an asian grocery store. the skin is white but the flesh is purple. i just cooked some for company tonight, belle

Thank you

Keaau, HI

If the skin is white and flesh purple, it is an Okinawan; improved varieties grow in just three months.

There are several Hawaiian sweet potatoes that are purple. This one is 'Kaneohe Poni'. It makes a long potato that has purple skin and flesh, and has a starchy rather than sweet flavor.

Thumbnail by Metrosideros

The one I read abut was supposed to be very sweet. i see it has a bloom on the one you show. nice.
It is so interesting to learn of different vegetables. Thank you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.