jammed CD

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I have a Dell XP. Recently the CD player is only willing to open an inch or two. I tried to pull it open the rest of the way but couldn't do that either and was afraid of damaging it. The problem is that getting to it within the computer. One side of the outer cabinet unscrews but the other side is bradded in. I need to get it out to see what's wrong. It's quite possible that a CD is stuck in there. I can't see it through the small opening, even with a flashlight but it could be way back in there. How do I get the CD to open all the way, or remove it from the computer?
I did see the little hole below the normal opening and my nephew said to straighten a paper clip and stick it in there and the CD would open. I tried it but it only opened the one or two inches that I get by pushing the "open" button.
Help! I have tons of CDs and play music all the time so I'm quite deprived right now.

This thread has 10 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!