Should I cut down my cedar??

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

We bought a home that has a large cedar in the front lawn 2 years ago. The right side and back are practically bare. I'm told the neighborhood children would climb in it and thats what started the problem. And since those sides of the tree get no sunlight, or very little at most, it is not regrowing. There are now several dead spots, which I assume are from the awful hot/dry weather we have been having. I am debating on cutting it down. Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by Ems_Garden
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

It's a cypress or a juniper, not a cedar.

Prune out the brown (presumably broken) branches, and it'll look a lot better.

Resin

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

lol thanks resin - my neighbor told me it was a cedar - here's a close up of its leaves

Thumbnail by Ems_Garden

One of the cultivars of Lawson's Cypress Chamaecyparis lawsoniana, maybe 'Allumii'. I'm a bit surprised it is growing as well as it is, this species doesn't like the summer heat / humidity you get.

Resin

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Its been here for years. Supposedly it was their Christmas tree one year and they planted it and it grew. I hate to cut it down but it is so bare. I have been waiting to see if new branches would grow but none have. Maybe I need to fertilize it. I'll look up the name and see what I can come up with.

I have a bald cypress in the back yard and just love it!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

My 2 cents - cut it down and replace it with something nicer. I'm also surprised it takes the summer humidity/heat as Resin pointed out.

Quoting:
Supposedly it was their Christmas tree one year and they planted it and it grew

Not surprising; 'Allumii' is widely sold as a tabletop mini-christmas tree.

You won't get any new growth from the bare lower part, you just have to accept that. But that applies to most trees - I'd not mark it down for that. Usually, it's the other way round, most people don't like it if their trees do produce suckers!

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.