A visit to Darwin

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I've just returned form a trip to darwin, so thought I'd share it with you.
Its still uner construction, so there will be more in the next few days. It takes ages to sort it all out!
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/weed_woman/12747/

Thumbnail by weed_woman
barmera, Australia

Welcome back Sue. Glad you enjoyed yourself. Thanks for the great run down of where you went and what you did. I felt like I was being taken with you although I would have been gone from that picnic area with the snake. It wasn't very nice of them to advertise the event in the gardening mag. and then not have it but you still seemed to have enjoyed yourself and had a bit of a holiday and caught up with your friend. Hope everything goes fine for her now. I dont know what the yellow flower is but someone will. Thanks again. Colleen

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Great read Sue,never been to Darwin but hope to go one day..........

noonamah, Australia

Enjoyed the photos and the story.

Berry Springs is a good spot for picnics but can get quite busy since they closed Howard Springs for swimming. Also at Berry Springs there's a nature walk which runs to the south through a monsoon forest gully.

Just next to Berry Springs is the Territory Wildlife Park which has a lot of 'natural' landscaping and is well worth a visit.

The snake isn't the Brown Snake, looks more like the Keelback.

What you identified as a Bismarkia is the "blue" form, there's also a green form.

Last time at the botanic gardens there were a few trees down. Think it might have been part of the aftermath of Cyclone Helen.

Another interesting place close to town to visit is Holmes Jungle. During the build-up colonies of Nervilia holochila orchids flower profusely. Fogg Dam is great for wetland species.

Some of the nurseries are also great to visit, like mini botanic gardens. At Arnhem Nursery they seem to put excess plants in the ground so they become permanent displays.

During the dry season there are private gardens you can visit under the Open Garden Scheme.

Sue thankyou so much for the tour ...I am so sorry to hear your friend has breast cancer ...she is very young.Hopefully she will will be cured.
Darwin looks very hot,so pictures will be as close as I will ever get to it, amazing palms! ...The colour of the water is beautiful (but it's full of critters that will eat you isn't it?)
A bit of a surprise re your broms but maybe it just gets too hot and dry for them there ...I don't know enough about them to be sure.
Glad you are back safe and well. Thanks for sharing.

Merino, Australia

Beautiful Sue. The photos brought back memories of my visit . A lovely place. Jean.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Thanks jean, I'm about to go and add a few more.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Sue wonderful notes and photos. The experience "up north" is something we Australians living south must all do sometime I think.

Thank you for the refresher.

Often I think back to my days in the 80's falling asleep under the "chandelier of stars" :)
Derby WA via NT, SA, VIC from NSW... work in community with Aboriginal people.

Thank you Sue. I feel a bit nostalgic.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Glad you are enjoying it Wayne. This was my first trip to Darwin, but I'd like to go again at the end of the wet just to see the difference. Theres alot of Australia that I haven't see, so I don't feel any urge to go overseas at all!
Sue

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Sue, the experience of wandering this wonderful country is amazing! I was lucky to have parents who took me on a "Nature Walkabout"... :)
Later I did my own here as well.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

My DH and I try to see as much of Australia as we can when we get the chance, and whenever we eventually retire, we will travel around in a camper of some sort. I can't wait, although I wonder what will become of the garden!

Alstonville, Australia

Hi Sue, gald to hear and see you had a great time in Darwin. I haven't posted much am still busy settleing in at Alstonville. Will have to make time to send some pics.
Glad your home well and safe.
A pic of Nimbin
Hel

Thumbnail by hel
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Gidday hel, glad you're settling in! I went to Nimbin once or twice in my youth! he he.
I can't wait to see some pics of your new digs!
Sue

el arish, FNQ, Australia

Sue, the tree you are asking about is Saraca thaipingensis. It's called the "Sorrowless Tree" Buddha was born under one (supposedly). It's our favorite tree :) Ann

Thumbnail by pogonantha
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Thanks Anne, is it a true tropical, or will it survive down here in Coffs?
I have finished adding to the diary thread now.

el arish, FNQ, Australia

I'm not sure Sue. It may come down to microclimate and soil in a subtropical area like yours. Ann

Coffs Harbour, Australia

That would be ok, I'm finding good microclimates popping up here and there, as the garden starts to mature. I'll do a bit more research and sdee if its possible to get an advanced plant, something with good root development and a bushy canopy.
Meanwhile I'll look for a warm spot with a bit of regular moisture, and then enrich the soil.
This gardening business is never ending eh? Its almost time to start potting up the brom pups!
Hows things with you, and your endeavors?
Sue

el arish, FNQ, Australia

Sue, It's worth giving a go. Such a beautiful tree.
It's Flat Out around here!!! Carnival on Collins is next Sunday, orders flying left and right and heaps of new plantings and landscaping at our place.
Ann

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Well, pictures please! *grin*

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.