Who offers the most unusual clems?

Baton Rouge, LA

I'm trying to find some more unusual or hard-to-find clems. I know many of you purchased "embryos" of some unusual plants from a grower, but I don't know which grower. I would very much appreciate suggestions of where to look other than: Brushwood, Donahue's, Garden Crossings, Joy Creek, Silver Star Vinery. (I've already looked through all of them...)

Thanks for any help you can provide! Evey =)

Appleton, WI

As far as I know, Joy Creek.

I just made a list of all their clems, removing the ones I have and those I was sure wouldn't grow in my zone. It was well over 300. I nearly passed out from the possibilities.

Can we just skip winter and go right to spring?

Baton Rouge, LA

LOL, I need the winter to (1) get hubby to forget about everything I bought this season, (2) replenish my mad money, (3) rebuild my strength to dig more holes!!! =P

Appleton, WI

Ditto on all three.

The husband got an attitude over the 2 clematis I got yesterday. I was pissed considering that I spent an unprecedented minuscule amount of money on the garden this year. He's lucky he got over it quickly. lol

One of the reasons I can tolerate our long winters is because that is the only way I can heal.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

BG, I just thought of one, but I don't think they had very many clems. I think the name is Forest Farms in Oregon.
http://www.forestfarm.com/
They have a high rating in Garden Watchdog. It's the ONLY place I could find a tetrarose Montana clem. They are going to ship it Oct. 6. The shipping in this weather cost about $36 air freight and I said "no way." They would not ship in a box until then, but said it would even have a trellis and growth on it. They have boxes made especially for shipping.

It will be that long before I can get my new little arbor anchored down anyway. I don't think they had a big variety, but worth checking out. I hope this isn't one of my mistakes for the year.

Edited to say that I just checked their website and they only list two clems. Sorry about that.

This message was edited Aug 16, 2009 10:27 PM

Delaware, OH

joy creek has the most unusual clems/best selections. sometime out of stock as you know, but always good to call as sometimes they may say OOS, but have a few.
some of the clems that are not in broad distribution will not be equal in start up to the vigorous clems that we have been raving over all summer.
many of the japanese clems take a lot longer and are not as vigorous. i have a handful i got this year form joy creek and am still nursing them along. they are doing fine, just a different start up curve than we like to think.

Baton Rouge, LA

Jeanne, I just talked with the folks at T & L. I got a userID and password to sign on and look at availability. I filled out my order and was quite excited. Then I called to get the shipping amount and was informed that they ONLY ship to Oregon and Idaho. How did you find out about them? If they won't ship to garden centers outside of those two states, I'm surprised you found them!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

D-Mail me...

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

It's worth checking Klehm's (Song Sparrow Farms) -- http://www.songsparrow.com/ They're pricey, but I've gotten big healthy plants from them. And they have a good clem selection.

Delaware, OH

glad you mentioned them wickerparker. i have ordered form them a good number of times and have gotten good , credible, reliable service and decent plants from them.

Baton Rouge, LA

Ahhhh, I just realized the trick to looking things up on the Klehm's site. I feel dumb now! I went to it last night and entered "Clematis" in the search box. It only came up with 10 choices, so I was wondering why you said they had a good selection! So, I went back today and saw the pulldown menu on the left (which I didn't notice last night). If you use that box and click on the word "Clematis" there, you get 58 choices... slight difference! =P

Appleton, WI

I made the same mistake, Bliss.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.