New Passiflora - ants love it?!

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Hi All -
We planted a gorgeous Scarlet Flame Passiflora a week ago and I've noticed that the ants are going crazy. They go inside the bud leaves and I see them circling around the bud. I don't see anything happening with the buds yet and I'm wondering if they are hurting the plant or is it ok to let them wander? Shall I just use a soap and water spray or ?

Thank you,
Nancy

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've had ants on my passifloras too and they don't seem to do any harm so I leave them alone. Generally when you have ants crawling around on a plant the first thing to do is check around for aphids or scale since they like to farm them for their honeydew, but in the case of the Passiflora I've never found any other insects on it.

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Thank you! I was hoping I wouldn't have to get out the spray bottle. I don't see them harming anything so I'll leave well enough alone for now!

~Nancy

Vieques, PR

I noticed that the unopen buds on our NOID passiflora has ants on it, acting rather strangely.

There are ~1/16th inch dark green nubs on the outside of the flower buds (I've seen similar nubs routinely on other passiflora vines, usually near where leaves or buds branch off). I'm looking at the ants rub their little snouts repeatedly on these blossom nubs, and as they do so, their hindquarters arch upward, curling up and back so far they look almost scorpion-like.

Anyone ever seen this before?

This message was edited Aug 9, 2010 8:47 PM

Vieques, PR

Here's a picture.

It's the first time this particular vine has formed buds. Each bud has about 6-8 ants on it. and They scurry around from one green nub to another. They rub their antennae and mandibles on the flat surface of the nubs, then their abdomens arch up and forward for a moment. Bizarre.

Thumbnail by JPlunket
Vieques, PR

Found an article on this:

http://wwww.examiner.com/x-41890-Atlanta-Nature-Examiner~y2010m5d22-Vine-companions--Ants-and-Passionflowers

Passion flower vines have developed "extra-floral nectaries", on vines and bracts, which apparently serve up sugary nectar and cause ants to hang out on the vines and flowers before they open. This must have produced an evolutionary advantage over the eons.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.