Slugs and Beer

Northern, MI(Zone 6a)

Someone told me if you put beer in your garden it attracts slugs and they will drink it and die.

It seems to attract them BUT they haven't touched a drop.....

I even gave them a couple choices.....

:}

Joel

Thumbnail by penth2o
Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

You forgot to leave them a church key.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

LOL ............that is the funniest post I've read here. ha ha ha

Try pouring it into a piepan or low type bowl.

If the slugs are chewing on your hostas and other plants, make friends with your local diner that serves breakfast. Collect all their eggshells. Crush them and sprinkjle around the plants (best done early spring) and the slugs will not cross them. The sharp shells will cut their little bodies all up. It's a free and natural control of slugs.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

well at least they have good taste ;0)
Gloria

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

I had a horrible problem with giant slugs in Ludington (and I mean GIANT). After cleaning up their slime trails off the deck and stepping on one barefoot on the sidewalk, I declared war. For several weeks we went out every night and sprinkled salt on them. All I ended up with is slugs and little piles of salt everywhere.

At the same time I had a Jack Russel Terror who liked to lick toads and get stoned. You have to really piss the toad off first to exude the toxins so you bark at them. What does this have to do with slugs? Read on my friend.

I too heard about beer as slug bait so I put bowls out all over the gardens. The dog liked beer. He was stewed to the gills within an hour and the beer was gone. Disgusted, I went to bed. About 3 in the morning, I heard the dog barking and assumed that he had a toad. I went out in the yard in my nightie and WITHOUT my glasses (big mistake, I'm blind as a bat)

Finding the Jack in the back corner of the yard, I yelled "No Toad! No Toad!" Of course he ignored me. I went over and grabbed him. He didn't have a toad, he had a skunk. Evidently I startled it.

When the fog cleared, I dragged him into the house and to the tub. had no peroxide and no tomato juice so I tried tomato paste. (It doesn't work the same, by the way). The dog got away and ran around shaking. (did you know that tomato paste STAINS freshly painted walls?) About that time I realised that it wasn't the dog that got sprayed.

By the time my husband came home in the morning, The dog was pink and hung over, the white walls looked like a murder scene and I smelled distinctly like a skunk's butt.

And the slugs, you ask? I have no idea what happened to them. I didn't go outside after dark any more.

Since then I have learned that ducks LOVE slugs. Get a duck, drink the beer. It's safer.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

lol funny!!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

sounds like a good idea to me lol
Gloria

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

to funny Jyl.....I'm sure not at the time though ^_^

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

JYL

ROFLMAO..............now that had to be a sight for sore eyes, parden the pun.......

Deann

This message was edited Aug 19, 2009 3:39 PM

Northern, MI(Zone 6a)

JYL,
Yup, that would keep me out of the garden at night also. It's funny how a small topic can bring back great or not so great memories & stories.

The problem with your solution is that I would drink the beer and get the munchies and have roast duck that night...

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

JYL, that is the funniest story but I'm sure it wasn't funny to you at the time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.