Any suggestions for a small tree?

PERTH, Australia

I'm looking for suggestions for a small tree to provide shade over an aviary. The root system cannot be invasive because of the proximity to the house and a retaining wall. I don't want to plant anything that needs pruning to maintain shape. It doesn't matter if it is deciduous or evergreen, as the area is to the west of the aviary and wouldn't interfere with the winter sun. The soil has been enriched with organic matter and some inorganic fertilizers over the years and I don't think trees with low phosphate requirements would survive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Would you consider a vine instead of a tree?

Vines grow faster than trees and the cage might provide the support they need. Less problems with root systems and they are easy to remove.

An annual (morning glory) or perennial (clematis) would provide some flowers for you to enjoy.

This is Clerodendrum>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
PERTH, Australia

Thanks for the suggestion Dale, that has sown a seed in my mind. I had briefly thought about a grape vine. Maybe I should explore that further. I had thought about a weeping mulberry. They seem to grow very successfully around here and have the added bonus of delicious berries in summer.

Barmera, Australia

G'Day
Any of the stone fruit trees should suit and they grow pretty quickly if the conditions are right and your soil sounds pretty good. A grape vine like Sultana or Zante Currant grafted onto nematode resistand stock would also suit. If you want quality fruit you will have to prune but if the fruit is not important then don't prune.
Brian

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.