Wanted: Blue Rose of Sharon seeds

Omaha, NE

I'm brand new today (Aug. 14) so not sure how to do things yet. I'm looking for some blue Rose of Sharon seeds. The variety I think I want is "sky blue" from pictures I've seen on ebay. But I welcome any feedback on that from the experts here. Pictures of flowers can be very deceiving, I realize. Also, any recommendations for a pretty yellow variety? Is there a sub-group for this category just for Rose of Sharon?
I probably belong there, if so.
Thanks, Snarly

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Snarly (cute name!).

I am not familiar with Rose Of Sharon Sky Blue, and I sell Rose Of Sharons, mainly from Spring Meadows.

I looked up Sky Blue, and did find some references to it, so if anyone can tell me who developed it, and where it's sold I'd like to see more information.

If this is the ebay ad you're looking at though, I can tell you it's not going to look like this. This ad has definitely been photoshopped, and it even appears they put the flowers in the picture, they were not on the plant.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5---SKY-BLUE-ROSE-OF-SHARON-----12-16-inch-seedlings_W0QQitemZ370246935636QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090818?IMSfp=TL090818159001r16662

I can recommend Blue Satin, Azurri Satin, and Blue Chiffon as nice plants, though. Much nicer than the old Blue Bird, I feel. And the Azurri Satin does not set seeds, making it a more vigorous variety.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Snarly, I have been hunting ROS info for you & so far have not had anything that would help you. Hang in there & keep asking. New members everyday.

Judy

Omaha, NE

Thanks Polly and Judy,
That's it alright, Polly. I enlarged that picture on ebay and noticed they were fake blooms too -- false advertising!
I doubt if there is any ROS "sky blue". Just an amateur trying to make a buck.

I've been ordering plants and cuttings on ebay lately and have been very pleased with what I've gotten so far.
Wild strawberries looked like they were dug the day I got them. Much better than any catalog I've ordered from.
also got shamrock corms, sweetgrass plugs and goldfish plant cuttings. All were good deals and in excellent condition.

Since I posted this question, I checked the article section of DG and ROS came up in an article titled "My top 10 favorite things to start from cuttings"
ROS was #1 -- so, I'm thinking that's the way to go instead of seeds -- and you know exactly what you'll get too.
This site makes my ADD go into orbit! -- I start out looking for one thing and get distracted 100x and end up forgetting what I started out looking for. Fun though -- and I'm learning so much! Just not getting much of anything else done.

Kerkdriel, Netherlands

I know that flower from another plant. But I can't get the name right know.
Ik will look throug my seeds later en tell you what that flower from ebay looks like. It sure isn't a hibiscus.

Kerkdriel, Netherlands

I think it are flowers from salpiglossus. But I also never seen them so blue.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I have a feeling there was probably a little Photoshop in action on the color of those flowers as well--after all if you're going to paste flowers on a plant that doesn't have them, you might as well make them a fake color too! LOL

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Looks like ethical is not a word they would know. I don't have a blue ROS or I would try to root a cutting for you, Snarly. Have doubles in white, mauve & pale pink. Don't know if they even make seed?? Haven't that I've noticed. Glad you're having fun.

Judy

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

I don't know of ANY flower thats quite that shade of blue.
Kyle :-)

Kerkdriel, Netherlands

alyogyne hueglii comes very close to that color but the flowers seem more transparant.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Snarly, I have cuttings of a pale single blue, I saw them in a lady's yard, knocked on the door and offered to buy a few cuttings.She said take all you want, and was happy to help me.Chances are they were originally a seedling as the color and shape is different than most culitvars of ROS. I get to Omaha about once a month so if you would like one I can let you have one. Pay it forward kinda thing. :-)

Kerkdriel, Netherlands

Kyle, do you have a picture of this plant?

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

I'll see if they still have flowers this late.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Snarly, I have a few of the ROS Blue Satin seeds available for trade. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/48615/
Dmail me if you are still interested. Thanks

Kerkdriel, Netherlands

Mechelle, I have plenty of seeds from that one. A whole plant full. But the one from the picture has another blue color.
I am still curious for the pictures from Kyle!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hi Snarly, and welcome!

What kind of sweetgrass did you buy - was it Hierochloe odorata? Wonderful stuff but, if so, do yourself a huge favor and keep it contained by planting it in some kind of pot or bucket with the bottom cut out. The underground runners will have it in all of your plants before you know it. It can't be pulled as roots break off and it'll still come back. I'm battling a big patch of it in my garden. I still grow it though in its own special place. Can't beat the fragrance of a bundle hanging near a breezy window. :)

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

this sure isn't 'SkyBlue" bit it's a pretyy ROS. I kee it pruned and it put on a show.
sorta lavender. singles

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Hey, mechellet, Can I purchase some of those blue seeds? Or trade a plant?
I sure would like to give it a try.
You can send me a d-mail
thanks
Charleen

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

I have a limited number of the seeds, just planted some a few days ago. I ended up promising some to others after I posted here.. but I did find this on eBay... http://cgi.ebay.com/SATIN-BLUE-Rose-of-Sharon-ProvenWinners-ColorChoice_W0QQitemZ300299441468QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45eb3dd53c&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262 It's a bit pricy but the ad says she has 18... Might be worth it. I think I'm going to get one in case my seeds don't work out.

Kerkdriel, Netherlands

I have plenty of seed but I don't know if I can send these to the US. I don't know if they arive there?

Leeuwtje, If you want to give it a try, d-mail me .

Kerkdriel, Netherlands

That is oké!

Kerkdriel, Netherlands

purple

Thumbnail by Leeuwtje
Kerkdriel, Netherlands

pink

Thumbnail by Leeuwtje
Kerkdriel, Netherlands

white

Thumbnail by Leeuwtje
Kerkdriel, Netherlands

seeds

Thumbnail by Leeuwtje
Omaha, NE

Hi -- guess I gave up too soon on my question. Haven't been on DG for a while.
I did buy some blue ROS seeds on ebay and planted them in Jiffy pellets with a heating pad on low.
Soaked the seeds as recommended. But all I'm getting so far is some white fuzz (mold, I think) in the center hole of the jiffy pellet. Are Jiffy Pellets prone to that? Just usingd them for the first time this year.
I'm not having much luck with them.
Thought it was because it wasn't warm enough but I fixed that with the heating pad but still nothing.
I want to try the cutting method -- need to find a plant somewhere -- are they still in bloom?
Thanks for all the input and offers.
Snarly

Well, mine are but no blue. Only That lavender in the pic. above
and the white one. I also have a Double that is pretty. That fuzz
doesn't sound good to me. My bat seeds did that and I don't think
they will come up. I put some peroxide in the water AFTER I saw it
but don't have much faith in them making it. I don't know if you
could try sprinkling cinnamon powder on them, probably won't
hurt at this late in the game.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I wonder if the seeds have to freeze before they will grow. We get down to 10-20 below zero here. I had two Bluebird ROS and in the spring, the babies would usually come up thick around the bottom of the bush/tree. I gave away a lot of seedlings and only know of one that came out white instead of blue.

I just looked it up and it doesn't say anything about chilling the seeds. Just put them in a good potting soil , moisten. Slide nto a large baggy and keep warm til plantlets grow. check to make sure they don't dry out. Plant AFTER danger of frost.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Snarly, mine are still blooming in N. Central Tx. But, I don't have the blue one. Wish I did as I would send it to you. Have not used Jiffy pots so I can't help you there but maybe they have a forum on seedlings, or planting seeds. I had read about the cinnamon powder this week to help with damp off. One guy said he had used a little bleach in a gallon of water & plants that had damp off perked back up. Know bleach is good to kill mold. Guess if they are dead anyway you can't lose anything. For seeds I just use reg. potting mix & sterilize it in the microwave before using. Put it in a gallon ice cream bucket & zap it until it steams. I put the lid over it but do not snap it shut. 5 minutes is a big plenty. There is no odor in the microwave & I just wipe the inside down with soap & bleach when I'm through "cooking" my dirt. Did you have any seed left?

Judy

One lady told me she uses vermiculite on her if they
start getting dampoff and it helps. the plants start looking better.
I don't know about seeds.

Omaha, NE

Hey thanks for all the helpful hints.
According to what I've read, ROS are suppose to be easy to grow from seed but hasn't been the case for me.
Think I'll order more seeds and try the cooked potting soil. Also will try cinnamon on the one's I have in Jiffy pellets. I tend to think they're just not going to germ though. I don't think the seeds' are to blame -- they looked nice -- fresh and fat.
I thought my heating pad would discourage the mold -- air circulation too. I don't have them covered and they're right by an open window.
Meanwhile, I'm looking for a good specimen to get some cuttings off of. It's becoming an obsession.
The more I can't get them the more I want them. I guess I could go to the high-dollar nursery and pay for one big plant then cannibalize it into cuttings. I'll prob. end up spending that much on seeds and postage by the time I'm done.
I have a vision of a hedge line of blue ROS's -- and I refuse to pay through the nose for established plants -- besides, no fun to do it that way. No sense of accomplishment.
I'll let you know when and by what method I succeed. Thanks again to all.
Snarlene
Rides -- I want to see a picture of your red mule -- I LOVE donkeys.
I know a mule is only half donkey -- need the half horse part to make it big enough to take the weight for riding.

You got it, Honey. Love anyone that loves LongEars.
He is such a handsome devil and his name is
Charley.

Hers's part of donkey fam. got in roaming in background somewhere.
never too far apart.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Cute mule pics RRM.. I just recently started some Blue ROS seeds and didn't stratify before I planted. I planted 6 and only 2 of them sprouted. Only took about a week to germinate. They look okay today but my problem is that my sproutlings always wilt and go down. Hope that doesn't happen to them. I really want them to make it.

Try the vermiculite. sprinkle it around the babies before they die.
Sounds like dampoff.
Thanks, Love my longears, they are so sweet. spoiled rotten.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

I will try that. Thank you

Omaha, NE

Ohhhhhh -- what cute donkeys!! Charley too -- looks like such a friendly boy. Love the bushy mane.
Thanks -- I didn't notice this thread had been added to. I have some good donkey book titles if you like to read -- long winter ahead.
My second planting of blue ROS is coming up now -- 10 so far. Wonder if I should plant them out and mulch them good or keep growing them inside all winter. I'd like to have about 50 of them so anyone with seeds please D me.

Moby, thanks for the welcome -- yes, the sweet grass was Hierochloe odorata.
I just got it established but hopefully can dig it up next spring and do what you said to contain it. I do want a lot of it though.
I'm crazy about the smell of it -- nothing better. Is there anything to know about how to make a braid of it? Dry it first -- or not?

Snarly

Snarly, do you have a cold frame? When I lived in Mo.
Dad used it to winter crops up and harden them off for spring.
Also start seeds to plant out in the garden. Have you thought of that?
Charleen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.