does anyone know what this may be?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I started pulling it out of a flower bed and thought it may be something I actually planted from seed.
Dierama pulcherrimum is one thing I put in the bed, and I am not familiar enough to know if this plant is it or not.

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

here is a picture of the roots...it is only in the one bed, so that is what made me think maybe I planted it there..LOL

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

one more a little closer of the leaves

Thumbnail by JanetS
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

look in plant files for it cant think of how to spell its proper name and see if it matches your plant if not then probably a weed i deal with all the time.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I do have spiderwort...and I don't think this is spiderwort....I just pulled it all out..lol I think it is just a NEW weed, I haven't had before this year...we have had more rain, and I guess more varieties of weeds this year...thanks for looking for me!

Looks like the spiderwort that is uncultivated (the species) and gets into EVERYTHING. Flowers pretty, but man, re-seeds EVERYWHERE!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Really...I do have a neighbor that has spiderwort in one of her front beds...maybe it came from her garden into mine...it is only in that one bed..funny! Well, I know this much, it is hard to get rid of! I have pulled a trash bag filled to the top TWICE with what I pulled out last time and this time...it grows like crazy...if I had a wild place for it to grow I wouldn't mind it so much...it would cover a hill in a hurry!

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Do you hapen to have a bird feeder near by? You can get some interesting things from one. Mike

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Maybe some kind of sedge. Leaves look too glossy for spiderwort.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

no bird feeder near this bed...someone else said it looked like some type of sedge too...I have one variety of sedge for sure and the leaves were very similar...oh, well, I just hope it doesn't keep coming back...lol Thanks!

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I agree with hcmcdole - I have species spiderwort and none of mine is shiny -did you dig that up? Spiderwort is almost impossible to pull up without it breaking off.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I just pulled it comes out rather easily, but it does send shoots up with the root system...it developes some type of little bulb and send up shoots. The problem was trying to turn the earth around where they were and pull all of the roots out.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

hmmmm, is it Red hot poker?

Elaine

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Nope not that either..LOL I have Loads of that...several different ones too. Does it have to be divided to bloom well, Elaine...do you know? I have a very large clump that send up very large spikes of orange and yellow flowers. I was wondering if I should divide them or if they will still perform well when crowed.

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

This may not be the place but I need to move 2 large plants of lavendar,I mean large 2x3ft and 2ft tall.. It is taking over a bed and I don't want to kill it by moving. NOt sure where to move it as it is doing so well. Thanks Elaine

Cartersville, GA

You have a weed. If you do not get all of the roots, little ones will come up. It is easy to pull up, especially if the soil is wet or not compacted. We have it in an area where it was introduced in a daylily that we put in a few years ago. I have some to come up each year, even though I pull them out as soon as I see them.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

I think that the pokers do better if separated regularly.. and mine need more sun.

Elaine

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Cass, I think you are right...maybe it came in on something I planted in that bed too. I had already pulled a ton out of there and it is just in one particula spot...so maybe that is how it came to be. At least I feel better knowing I am not pulling out something I "really" wanted to grow..lol

Thanks Elanie, I am getting ready to expand a bed so I may separate some of the poker and use it there as well as my Iris.

Cartersville, GA

Janet, there have been more times than I wish to admit that I have left something to see if it was a flower or weed because it resembled a flower only to find out a year or two later that I had a weed. By that time it had taken over and I had a real job getting rid of it (which in some cases took years). I have become leary by now of anything that just "happens" in the flower beds. I should have dug up this daylily and hosed off all the dirt to make sure that I had gotten all the roots of this weed. Maybe I will do that this fall. At least it is contained to right around that particular daylily. I have seen this weed grow to be close to 10" tall and look very green and healthy. Hope you can get rid of yours quickly.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

It's even worse when you buy a highly touted plant and it becomes difficult to control such as Chameleon Plant (Houttuynia cordata) which was a particular difficult one at our last house and needed serious containment. The same goes for Sweet Autumn Clematis - great fragrance and a nice show both in flower and seed heads but what an obnoxious weed. Best to leave that one in the woods and enjoy it there.

One that I don't mind being a weed is Mexican Evening Primrose (Oenothera speciosa) due to its long bloom period and low visibility after it is done blooming.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Amen to the Chameleon Plant (Houttuynia cordata). It is beautiful, BUT!! First year I thought I had lost it but it came back. 3rd season it took over.

Same with Sweet Autumn Clematis - great fragrance. It showed up at my Mom's - now it is choking out other things.

Cartersville, GA

I know all about Chameleon Plant and Sweet Autumn Clematis, too. I ordered the Chameleon Plant from a catalog years ago and thought how pretty the first couple of years, and then it became a nightmare. I dug it out and it still came back because I had missed some roots. I sprayed the bed with Roundup and got most that was left. I see a few sprigs this year that need to be sprayed. I made a big mistake throwing some that I had pulled up into the woods. Now, we have cleared that area and it is in the bed that I have since made there. I still have not managed to kill it all. I can deal better with the clematis because I pull or dig up any little ones that come up. Sometimes people want them.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Amen to the Sweet Autumn Clematis...it sure does "volunteer" every where...I had it on my trellises on the front porch for three or four years...finally pulled it out cut it down etc....and it wasn't that hard to get rid of it...BUT there are still a few vines that I will let bloom for the show and the fragrance and cut them down just as they are fading...so that is how I have controlled it thus far...I remember being sad that I had gotten rid of it, because I knew I would miss the frangrance but then several little ones came in some areas that I can easily cut back and I let them bloom....but it is a terrible vine to just let go it's own way...it seeds to easily and will really take over!

I also have Mexican Evening Primrose and I love it..lol it isn't hard to pull out if you really don't want it..at least not for me so far. I just love how delicate those flowers are....lol

No experience with the Chameleon Plant though...I will try to remember NOT to get that one....

I think this "grass" weed could cover an entire hill in no time...it came back very quickly after I pulled it out last time...I am wondering if maybe I should spray something on it if it comes back that will kill

Isn't it amazing how a "WEED" can come up beside something you plant and look almost identical to the plant....nature is amazing! LOL

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Sweet Autumn Clematis does "volunteer" to grow anywhere it wishes, but is a wonderful smelling vine.
I have some baby "redhot poker" I planted in a pot. they are nice plants and can take dry weather very well.
Seems like I weed twice a season, Spring and Fall. The weeds are getting tougher or I am getting weaker.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Hi Janet, If there is more than one it probably is spider wort. How you been doing?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I am good Jim thanks....how is Bobbie? There were probably fifty or more of those plants that we pulled out...they were forming a colony I think..lol

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Still about the same, day to day, sometimes good days and sometimes bad. Thanks fro asking.

If it was a colony I would bet for spider wort, just taking over my beds. Or I should say it has taken over my yard and beds.

Atlanta, GA

That looks just like the spiderwort that I regularly dig up, roots, shiny leaves and all. It also looks about the same size mine is this time of year after coming up in the spring and now trying for round #2 in autumn. I think it's cute when it grows in the cracks in my driveway, and blooms even when I run over it, but not so cute coming up in the middle of a bed designed for something else.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

lol...I hear that!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.