Ugly blooms but wonderful fragrance!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Recently I had been smelling a delightful fragrance when out in the yard at dusk. I kept sniffing around the bloomers but couldn't course the smell. It was almost wistful.

Meanwhile... last spring, I had dug up a plant, been waiting for blooms so I could take photos and get it IDd. The good folks on the ID forum told me it was Manfreda virginica. While researching it, I found the blooms were supposed to be fragrant. I couldn't wait to run out there and sniff and sure enough!!! That was IT!

This is, without a doubt, the ugliest bloom I've ever seen. The "only" blooming characteristic it has is its' wonderful smell.

So, I got to wondering if there were other bloomers that prefer to only be smelled, not seen. LOL

Thumbnail by podster
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Cestrum nocturnum doesn't have particularly showy flowers (especially not compared to some of the other less or non-fragrant Cestrum species) I wouldn't call them ugly, just sort of insignificant.

Just went to the PlantFiles to look at a bloom... insignificant would probably be an excellent description. The scent description sounds quite emphatic tho... lol

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, it can have a rather overpowering scent! I happen to love it, but some people find it a bit strong.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Speaking of which....
And I too, LOVE it!!!!

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Henna has teeny blooms...not really "ugly" but not something you notice either. Their scent however...is very nice - much like Tea Olive's. That's my pinkie beside the bloom to give you an idea of size

Thumbnail by Chantell
Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

My gosh, that is one big finger!

LOL Kenboy! It does resemble the Tea olive blooms too.

It looks like my bloom is going to win the "ugly flower" contest tho. 8 (

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yeah KB - you can't even imagine my THUMB...LOL
Kristi, I think you're right...I've never thought to go ISO an ugly bloom...if they have scent I don't give a rat's patootie what they look like.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2009 3:42 PM

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ok I should know to stay away from this forum. Everytime I visit I end up needing to buy another plant. I did not know manfredas were fragrant I think I have a small one blooming and I will need to check it out. Ik ind of like the ugly blooms of Manfreda virginica

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL - yup....I "blame" all the regulars on the amt of fragrant plants on my deck...in my yard...in my house...ROTFLOL ^_^

Marieortiz, I don't know if all the Manfreda have fragrant blooms but this one is delightful at dusk. I will be putting it in the ground next spring. It is supposed to multiply freely and I will gladly check the pot when done blooming and share if you are interested?

Nope, not to worry. I am not one of those "regulars" Chantell was talking about ~ no blame will stick on me ~ LOL

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Kristi's fibbin' - her nose is a growin' before our eyes...sheesh!!! Have various plants in my yard as a direct result of her subtle "mentioning" of this or that!! And she knows I love her for it...to include babies of her's she's been gracious enough to share. Now how big does this one get....do you know, Kristi?

LOL ~ I hope that offer didn't scare Marie off.

The plant is low to the ground. It favors a low growing succulent but the blooms reach for the skies. These plants have filled in the pot. The pot is "cheesy" looking as I stuffed these in the pot till I could figure out what they were. I would be embarrassed to show a photo of the pot. But the bloom stalks are 5-6 feet tall! Definitely not vertically challenged. It is now developing seed pods.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Geez Kristi...can i interest you in some more agave and yucca pups should you baby have babies? Hmmmm, how wide????

Nothing with points but otherwise yes, I could be tempted. See? The shoe is on your foot too! LOL

These aren't wide but rather more clumping. Four rhizomes, tubers, bulbs (whatever) in a 10 " pot have filled it over two years time.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Shoe....what shoe??? LOL Ummm all my yuccas and agaves are pointed

Sharp? Like thorns? Stickers? Ugh! Lived in AZ and it was pretty but everything out there had thorns, stickers, sharp edges, fangs. After I walked into a century plant and imbedded that point in my knee (no I was not inebriated) I said no more! No roses, no cacti, I even kill thistles with abandoned.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok...I just about spewed soda out my nose...been there done that (thought I was going to just call Red Cross to donate blood)!! These are agave and yucca...therefore they have sharp points....

You are blessed not to have a looonnng nose like I do when you spew soda ~ lol Could be agonizing.

Could I take a nail clipper and nip the points? I do have a lemon tree that I do that to...

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Ooohh podster, could I have some seeds for my new place? Chantell's are going there, along with a ton of Bluespirals that I have been hanging onto because I could not bear to leave yet another planting behind. I have no idea how I'll get all the plants I have now into a moving truck, should I be blessed to get a contract on this place.

I love smellies, and now I'll have a deck to plant them beside...woohoo! (I think this is called counting your chickens before they hatch, but I am excited!)

I'd bet we can arrange that! You may have to call on your DG friends to help your plants move ~ and I'd bet you get that place. That house is really charming with loads of potential. Fingers crossed that it will be yours. Now I need to go see what a Bluespiral is... lol

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Bluespiral is a whom....she's here on DG :)

LOL ~ I guess I knew that... just visualizing how pretty flowers called blue spirals would be.

More coffee.....

Dahlonega, GA

Chantell , do you have a greenhouse to winter over ? Just can't picture all your beautiful plants in pots , inside the house . digger

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL, Digger ~ I NEED a greenhouse...and how!! They get put....well every where!!! LOL I would say the section of my living room (the end by the windows is maybe 10-12 feet wide - then I pull my love seat away from the window by about 3-4 feet. I have a 5 shelf - shelving unit that sits smack day in front of both big windows and I FILL the areas to the left and right of the unit. Brugs and plumies are going to the basement this winter - hope they do ok...just don't have the room for them in living room any more. Will be survival of the fittest, I suppose...sadly (or not, as the case may be) I don't have many 4" size any more...they've all "grown up" to big girl/boy 6"-10" pots

Gulfport, MS

I found a lightly fragrant annual pansy last fall at a garden center in Jackson, Tenn. last fall. I think it is a new hybrid but I am not sure. Has anyone heard of it. I would love to find some seeds for this winter.
To discourage bugs, I have been using 1/8t of lavender essential oil, 1T Muphry's oil soap in 1 quart water to spray on some unwanted caterpillars. So far so good. Orange essential oil also works on leaf miners.
Thanks

Fragrant pansies sound wonderful. I've not found them. Did you save seed? I also use the Murphys oil soap for aphids but haven't added lavender... I'll have to check it out.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

I really like the purple petunia fragrance, but not all purple ones smell really good like the ones I used to have. Pansies are so tiny I can't imagine how many you'd have to plant to enjoy the fragrance :)

Thanks for the bug juice mix; I'll be putting it to use next year, or at least I'm hoping!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ok Somehow I unwatched this thread but wanted to say what ever one I have is a pup and it did put out a bloom and it smelled so good. I only could get next to it for a second since the ants seemd to like it too?

Podster I would definitely be interested ino ne if yours multiplies. You did not scare me off I just got lost ( the story of my life) probably for the best because I just got done reading some more of the threads and Now I seem to think I need a p-nut butter plant and a bananna one!!

This is all my friends fault for convincing me I need to buy plants that smell good because thas is the whole reason for buying them right?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oh and I am now "watching this forum" and the thread :o)

Hi Marie ~ I'll gladly share. Wondering if there is an issue sending a plant to you or would it need to be seeds? This Manfreda has three seed pods which I am watching like a hawk. As there was a clump of these in the woods, I suspect seeds will be an easy start too. Yes, Hineni ~ I put you on the list... not to worry. Now, as for Chantell, if it smells, you know you are on the list too.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

There should be no problem sending a plant. These grow in your woods???

Yes ~ that is where I found them. Dug a few up to see what they would turn out to be. I honestly don't know how they will do in direct sunlight. I've left this pot of them in the shade of a Sago palm.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I need woods like that. Heck I just need some woods!!!

A plant I can probably deliver... Woods? probably a lot harder! LOL

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the smile this morning!

North, TX

well podster,

I think I have the ugliest fragrant flower growing right here. I don't know what it is but it smells like sweet orange blossoms when you walk by it. i can't even get a good picture of it, it's that ugly. it looks like a weed but it smells so sweet! Actually, it doesn't really bloom either because the buds don't open and then they go to seed.

Thumbnail by Allwild
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Allwild I have no clue about that flowes but those trees are beautiful!!

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

How cool! Thanks pod, for remembering to save me some seeds. By Monday my package should be heading to the USDA processor. That means, when I get THAT call, ya'll will be able to holler all the way to Texas. I surely need some good news...(taps foot impatiently)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.