Who Borrowed My Hold Punch?

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

What critter makes perfectly round holes in Canna leaves? And how do I get rid of the culprit?

The vast majority of mine are perfectly fine but I've noticed a few leaves this week that look like they took a trip to an office supply store.
Some have single row holes and others like this one have doubles.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks for chiming in with help & advice!

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Winter Haven, FL(Zone 9b)

I have seen this on a couple of my cannas and my blood lily. Guess what I found hiding down at the bottom of the leaf. A little caterpillar that turns out to be called the Lily Caterpillar. I used some seven and so far, no new problems.

Thanks Dan. I haven't seen caters but I have seen grasshoppers.

I'm out the door with my liquid Seven!

You can kind of see it here...

Thumbnail by DanKistner

And Here...

Thumbnail by DanKistner

Yep, it looks like we have the same damage, although I haven't found any more either since that good dousing of Liquid Seven.

Here's a current pic of my Canna garden on the end of our garage. That area gets full sun except early in the AM. All 60 rhizomes were freebies when a friend divided hers last Spring. There's Red, Yellow, Hot Pink, and Peach. I have no idea what they're names are since she didn't either.....I'm just enjoying watching them grown and bloom. I'm also collecting seeds to see what I get next year.

Thank You Dan. I'm sure your advice will help someone else too.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Job's well done there, FOTV! One of the best Cannas bed I've seen in person or online!!!

Thank you, Lily-Love, for your very nice compliment! This is my 1st year growing Cannas. I'm so pleased with the bright spot they've created, plus it helps knowing they're all hardy. The soil wasn't quite as rich on right side so that stand isn't as full as the rest. No complaints though, they're reproducing like rabbits and there will be plenty to divide later on and fill in. Are you growing Cannas too?

Susan

No problem for the help. I understand how frustrating it can be sometimes to put so much time and love into your plants and then some fat caterpillar have a hay day with it! I only have two types of cannas growing. I pulled up 3 stalks from my friend's house and in a matter of two or three months they multiplied like crazy!

Do you think your Red Canna looks like mine? This photo is from early August. Now the plants are about 5' tall and the blooms are sorta spiky.
What plant are you growing on the right with the long lance shaped leaves, and is that a Banana plant in the background?

You are correct. The majority of my cannas are just like that (Canna Indica).

The plants in the background are bananas. They are lining the perimeter of the outside of my pool cage. The lance shaped leaf is a new leaf that hasn't unfurled yet.

My other cannas look like this... (Larger leaves and blooms)

Thumbnail by DanKistner

Ok... I see what plant you are talking about, on the left? It is a Crinum Augustum 'Queen Emma'

Thumbnail by DanKistner
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Susan,
I've a few Cannas, but due to lack of sunny location, my cannas aren't performing their best. Dan, your Crinum, I assumed that's tropical in nature? I've a pot of large bulbs Crinums. It hasn't made any attempt to bloom yet for me. How old is yours? Thanks.

I also have the hardy crinums that was in a house that I purchased 20 something years ago, those crinums still grow in my present garden.

Kim

Well I honestly have no clue how old it is. I was walking around a local nursery and I saw it growing in that pot and they had maybe 20 pots that size. The pot said $100 bucks but because i buy from there so often, she gave it to me for $50 cash. I have only had it maybe 3 months and it has already put out 8 bloom stalks.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

These are some of the Cannas I planted to replace a couple of very ho-hum hedgerows in the parking lot at the college where I work.

Thumbnail by DesertPirate
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nice job DP!

Beautiful curb appeal all the way to the stop sign!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.