Does anyone recognize LEMBALA?

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

A gardener from Katherine, Au has found some seeds labeled LEMBALA. Have not been able to help her figure out what they are. Does this name ring a bell with anyone here?
She has posted a picture of the seeds on the Plant ID forum. Thanks much.

Sorry mate, never heard of anything by that name, perhaps it came from a farm or gardener by that name.

That's kind of my thought. If there were a plant by that name, surely the 4 different search engines we use should have found some mention of it. I even tried spelling variations to no avail.

Thanks for responding, Chrissy. Have a great Saturday evening.

Thankyou same to you.Ask your friend to post the picture here someone may recognise the seeds.

I'll see if she has posted again. I do not know her, but we have been helping her identify a large number of plants she has become responsible for. Bye the bye, do you happen to know where in Australia Katherine is? I think that's the name of the town she lives in. (I say she, but I don't honestly know, the user name is Hopeless Gardener and that certainly isn't gender specific....grin)

Yes it is in the Out Back ...golly that may be hard work.
http://en.travelnt.com/explore/katherine/katherine.aspx
poor thing.Hot as ...well extreme conditions to say the least.

Keaau, HI

How about Lembala kuivaisi, Lenjingrad Lapaala. A parasitic plant from Lembolovo, Russia.

Boy that has got to be the makings of a story....Seeds found in an old desk in the OutBack of Australia, cryptic word

LEMBALA scribbled on the container.....a parasitic plant from Lembolovo, Russia....oh no Mr Bill, does she plant the seeds or lock them away again, thus saving the world from total plant mayhem.....tune in when HG returns from her secret mission in Bali....

And a google search gives you this thread...and a ton of travel photos from Sergeev's tour of St Petersburg and a picture of the fungus....Lembala kuivaisi.....do they set seed? Is this the end....tune in in 10 days when Hopeless Gardener makes the return from Bali......(eerie music....fade to dark)

http://www.sergeev.us/pictures/archives/compress/2003/345/06.htm (see the fungus, read the story...grin)

Jakarta, Indonesia

Back in 2009 you were looking for explanation of Lembala.
The simple answer is that D.T. BROWN seed merchants use LEMBALA as their identification code for Lemon Balm.
Its leaves are used in cooking etc as a replacement or alternative to the lemon fruit.

Wow ! thanks Jakataman ...just goes to show the things we learn at Dave's Garden. ^_^

Mystery solved. Thank you very much Jakartaman.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.