What's on your feet?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

Here's a "different" question. What do you all wear on your feet when gardening? It seems as though I can never find anything that keeps the dirt out, yet isn't super hot!!
So when I want to wear those super cute open toe, open back shoes, my feet don't look like I just came off the farm. (Even though I did)
*grin*
I do realize for you men out there, this isn't maybe a huge problem, (or maybe it is, to each his own ;)
Anyways, I've just really wondered what works for others. Life altering? Most likely not. But I am curious.
Birdie
PS.....thanks to all who dmailed me a happy birthday on the 9th. These have been very hard days as some of you know. So those Happy Birthdy messages were especially meaningful.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Birdie,

I wear the same thing in the garden as I do everywhere else. I wear good socks with arch supports built in and Natural Balance running shoes. What I do is when I get a new pair I designate the old pair for garden shoes. If they get muddy, I just take them to the laundry tub in the basement and wash the bottoms off. I have to have good supportive shoes or I get sore feet and backaches.

I want to wish you a belated Happy Birthday!! Sorry if I missed it.

Brenda

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Crocs

I have 4 pair, thats just about all I wear in the summer

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Birdie I has a really old pair of pull on Nikes I really like them but they are pretty beat up. My husband even glued the sole back on for me!!! A couple of time. Hope all is well with you. I see you are very busy. Happy Birthday to you... So it is so late was it a good one? BTW, my son will be in Georgia on Sunday the 19th! He is so excited to be coming home. He even has been chatting on the phone with a young lady from Alabama... Wow was I ever surprised! So he will be home in September for Keris wedding..... Can not wait to see him. Oh thats right this was about shoes sorry I can not contain my excitment. Hope all is weel and hope to see you soon, Ronna

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Well Brenda and all I am with you!!
I wear NB too and in the summer I loose the socks.
I wear croc's occasionally but you are absolutely right the feet just really black from soil and are very hard to get clean!!
I usually swear i'll never wear the crocs again...but it does happen here and there.
But i like you Brenda need good support to walk in the yard all day!!
Julie

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

I wear crocs and tennis shoes....if I'm digging I have to have the tennies...
mowing and weeding ect.ect. my crocs...

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

I wear thong shoes made from the same rubber as the crocs. My feet get pretty dirty, but that's what the hose is for, LOL. I canwear these shoes all day. They have little nubbins on the inner sole that massages the feet. The regular crocs get too hot and my feet sweat and slip around in them, though I do wear them when I mow grass (which is as seldom as possible).

Northern, MI(Zone 6a)

Crocs are it for me.
When I get out of my workboots crocs go on and don't come of all weekend till I have to go back to work.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

crocs-have all kinds of them!!!
my dh hates them!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I wear dirt I'm bare footed all the time I hate shoes of any kind so the only time I have them on is work mowing or digging my feet will be clean for christmas ;0)
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks you guys for your info!! I do wear crocs at this time, in the early spring I wear my shin high pig boots (muck boots) but to hot for summer. I think I need to heed the advice of my "muse", Brenda, and all the rest of you sneaker wearers. I need to have pretty feet for two up=coming weddings. So back to sneakers.
Ronna, as you know I'm sending a tree off for the Aug. dirt diggers swap in honor of your son and his service. Tell him Birdie Kimmels family is thanking him. You must be so proud!!
I'm glad Keri's shower went well. I'm giving one for a friend this fall, and I'm making small concrete leaf castings from morning glorys, as favors for all the guests, and a huge one for the bride to use as a bird bath in her garden.
Thanks again to all for the Birthday wishes. and the GREAT INFO. ON WHAT to wear on your feet while gardening.
Birdie

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

barefooted most of the time. depends what i am doing though. If doing lots of digging then I will wear tennis shoes or flipflops. Today I was rototilling in flipflops.

I prefer to be barefoot in good soil though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.