Paniculata Grandiflora vs Limelight

Starkville, MS

I have several Paniculata Grandifloras that blooms magnificently each year. I have recommended this plant to many people------------but, when they go to a nursery they are always persuaded to buy a Limelight instead. Can someone tell me the advantage of Limelight over the PG? My PG blooms a vivid white and then turns to the green color that Limelight is so famous for. So, why not start with the PG and have the white color AND the green? I would appreciate any info that I am missing on this plant.

Thank you,
Shirleyd
Zone 7b

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't think there's anything wrong with either one, to me it's a matter of personal taste which one you like better--if you really like the green flowers some people would probably rather not wait as long for the blooms to get to that color so they'd rather have Limelight. As far as why the nursery pushes them to Limelight, there could be lots of reasons--maybe they only have Limelight in stock or have a lot more of them or something along those lines.

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

I have both and they both perform wonderfully. PG ages to green like Annabelle and Limelight ages to pink. With both you get green all season.

I think the reason that others are pushed towards Limelight is that is it in vogue now.

I love my "old fashioned" hydrangeas but I love the new cultivars too. Nurseries are aware of trends (hence the overabundance of knockout roses) and will stock to follow suit.

Starkville, MS

Thanks for all the input. Do any of you have suggestions on rooting the PG? I have rooted some of them-------------but, they are not as dependable on rooting as the Macrophylla. Do you use a stem with/without a bloom? What time of the year do you begin your rooting?

Thanks,
Shirleyd

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

The literature that I have read recommends stems without blooms and starting in early summer so the cuttings will be able to survive winter. I guess their reasoning is that if the cutting is planted too close to winter's arrival, it will not be as ready as one that was planted much earlier.

But, I suppose it might also depend on where it is planted and where does one live. If planted in September, the cuttings would experience winter early in the northern states. But winter in Texas or Florida sometimes arrives as late as December so the growing zone is longer; it would have more time to become acclimated if planted in September in the southern states.

Starkville, MS

Thanks luis_pr for input. My problem is that I have a hard time finding a stem without a
bloom on it. I am a great fan of the PG and urge every one to plant it. I have yet to find one with a disease or an insect------and, it is happy with full sun or just half day sun.

Shirleyd

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8b)

I am so sorry, I am new on this forum. Please tell me what PG stands for. Thank you.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Good for you for asking!! :-)

Paniculata Grandiflora . . .

http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/paniculata.html

Kathy

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you, Kathy
Fellow Washingtonian! I have just started collecting some Hydrangeas. I love them. Trying to learn more! Thanks again. Mary

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Also called PeeGee by some

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Hey Mary -

Hydrangeas do very well here - our full sun isn't generally even too hot for them if they have enough water. Are you planning on coming to the Roundup in Graham the weekend after next? I'm sure we could get you cuttings or even rooted cuttings to get you started.

Kathy

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8b)

No I did not know about the roundup. It sounds like fun. I have other plans that weekend. I need to visit the hydrangea forum more. I spend my time on the clematis forum. I have become a big clematis addict. I have to be careful, I can become so addicted! We just moved to Poulsbo from Issaquah. What a change, be we lovem it here. Have lots of room for planting (out here in the country). Thank you for the invite to the roundup.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.