Thinking of an October Glory Maple

Bettendorf, IA

to replace a box elder we lost that took away a HUGE portion of my shade :( It framed the front side of our yard so I think we need something that will be big and make a statement. I toyed with Redbuds and Crabapples for a more showy look but those won't get high enough to look right I think.

Does anyone here have this variety of maple? What do you think? Thanks!

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

Hi pegz, Did you end up planting an October Glory? We planted a couple of Autumn Blaze maples (Jeffsred) a year ago, and they are fabulous. We also have an Emerald Queen that is poking along in it's 3rd year, and two Red Sunsets (Franksred) that are doing well in their first year. The latter are more columnar than the Autumn Blazes. October Glory is on my list, so I'm interested to find out how yours is doing, if you chose to plant one.

Danville, IN

Any cultivar of red maple is going to be a fairly quick-growing hardwood maple and give you wonderful fall color. The two most common on the market are 'October Glory' (grows to 40' X 35') and 'Red Sunset' (grows to 45' X 35'). 'Autumn Flame' (35' x 35') and 'Sun Valley' (40' x 35' ; is a cross between 'Red Sunset' and 'Autumn Flame') can be found, but are less common and considered not as hardy as the first two. 'Red Sunset' colors first in the fall, while 'October Glory' is still mostly green. 'October Glory' colors when 'Red Sunset' is nearly leafless. Many people plant one of each cultivar to prolong the fall foliage show.

'Autumn Blaze' (Acer X freemanii) leaves resemble those of a Silver Maple, but is very hardy and has rich green leaves that become an excellent orange-red fall color. The color persists longer than many cultivars. It is a cross between red maple and silver maple, and actually more drought tolerant than the true species of red maple. Grows up to 4 times faster than the species with a looser head of foliage, but still very attractive. Can grow at least to 50' X 40', possibly larger.

Photo is of 'Red Sunset' maple.

Thumbnail by HoosierGreen
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I would stay away from any Maple that's crossed with a Silver Maple. Although they grow fast their root system is very shallow and roots may even surface in your lawn. They (roots) can really become a problem.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

We have an Oct. Glory, Red Sunset, and Autumn Blaze. All seem pretty during the growing season and each has pretty fall foliage. I do seem to like the Autumn Blaze and it's fall colors. Our Red Sunset Maple was simply beautiful this fall since we had long cooler weather before winter set in.
Cuckoo

Bettendorf, IA

We ended up with a sunset maple. I figure as the box elders die off in this particular part of our yard I will replace them with a variety of the red maples. The October Glory at the nursery the day I went seemed very columnar and the red sunset had larger leaves and a more "triangular" shape. I need to replace shade as quickly as possible so I figured the shape and leaf density (plus knockout almost fuschia color) was the one this time :) Thanks for all the info. Will save it for later

Danville, IN

If you plant a variety of red maples, you will have a nice range of fall color, and staggered timing (ex. 'Red Sunset' colors, then 'October Glory'). Sounds like you've got a good plan.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.