SOLVED: Lembala?

Katherine, Australia

Can anyone name these seeds. they came in a container with Lembala written on it. I googled it but nothing showed up.

Thumbnail by Hopeless_Garden
Katherine, Australia

Does a plant by the name of Lembala even exist? can anyone tell me that.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Hopeless, I have been searching and the closest reference I came up with was lembaga....which has something to do with Cacao in a country whose language I don't speak....still looking around...
Can you give a bit more info? Where the container came from? Is it a handwritten label? Any other info on the label?

This message was edited Aug 14, 2009 8:18 AM

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You might try asking in the Australian gardening forum--it's possible there is some Australian plant that has a common name that's close to that and they might recognize what the label was supposed to say.

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

They remind me a little of Ipomoea quamoclit seeds http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&q=ipomoea+quamoclit+seeds&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=

In searching around on this, I did find a few surnames, Lembala and a reference to a Lem Bala. Could the label be the name of the person they came from?

barmera, Australia

I was wondering if the seeds could be from the Family Asclepiadaceae, Genus Asclepias, Species Fruicosa Common name Swan plant or Wanderer Butterfly bush. The seeds look very similar. Colleen

Hey Colleen. Maybe HG needs to try planting a couple of the seeds and then take a picture of the plant when it comes up. Good eye for the seeds. Perhaps that is a new step for the Plant Files....folks could add a clear photo close up of seeds they collect from plants they enter in the files. Hopefully HG will log back in. Thanks for coming to take a look.
Coming up on Spring so I know you are gearing for the busy time in the garden.
Best Regards,
Jean

barmera, Australia

Hi Jean. Yes busy time here now. We've already had some really nice warm days. Not much of a winter . Maybe it's still to come. I hope HG will see what I posted as it might help. The only thing I could come up with re Lempala was a person's name or maybe a place. It's not a butterfly's name is it? Colleen

I used 4 different search engines to look for it. I came up with something about cacao in a language I can not speak and a few references to a man named Lem Bala. I really think our best chance of an ID is for HG to just plant a couple seeds and wait for a plant....if HG logs on again. I wouldn't think they were for anything illegal, so shouldn't be a problem.
Now we wait....grin. Jean

Katherine, Australia

Thanks guys, but ill have to wait to plant them. Im off to Bali for 10 days...

Too cool. Have a smashing good time. See ya in a couple weeks.

Katherine, Australia

Also the packet looks like a bought packet from maybe Mr. Fothergills or something. All thats printed on it is LEMBALA and the numbers 401 L. I searched his sight but nothing came up.

Is there any way to contact Mr Fothergill on his sight? He may be the key to your answer. Did you see Colleen's post about Swan plant? This is a right tight little mystery.

Keaau, HI

Interestingly, upon searching for the plant via Google, I located a plant called Lembala kuivaisi, a parasitic plant from Lembolovo, Russia.
The few sites that talk about it are not understanded by me.

Katherine, Australia

Yea i sent a message but no reply yet. I sure did see Colleens message, im pretty sure the swan plant is a weed. It used to grow in my horses paddock and was a pain in the backside to get rid of!
Thanks colleen i hope its the butterfly bush, it has a very nice flower by the looks =D

Keaau, HI

The common name might be "Lenjigrad Lampaala".

Where did you get the seeds Hope...._Garden?

Katherine, Australia

Hey, i just found the seeds in a cupboard while i was cleaning out my new desk.

Gee, go figure. A parasitic plant invented in Leningrad.....what are the odds....grin. Those collards are cooking , Dave.

Good deal, HG. This may get solved yet. Hope you have a good time in Bali.

Keaau, HI

Thanks Jean, I don't know that I have ID'd the plant in question though.

If H-Garden grows the plant and shows us photos, we can start to track down it's identity.

Yep. That seems to be the best solution to this one.

Katherine, Australia

Thank you everyone for your input, i planted half the seeds this morning so hopefully when im back from holidaying there will be a few sprouts so show! =D

Have a good trip. Look forward to figuring out your mystery plant.

Katherine, Australia

Hey guys, got bad news. I think the 'lembala seeds' are past their used by date. As i said a few posts ago that i planted half the seeds but there is not one sprout. So i do believe it is going to be a mystery for all of eternity =D

Sheffield, United Kingdom

11.5 years late, but I've got a seed packet with the same "LEMBALA" printed on them. For me at least, the seeds were lemon balm (part of the mint family).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.