Monkey Puzzle Tree (Araucaria araucana) Care

Saint Louis, MO

I have a monkey puzzle tree (Araucaria araucana) that I purchased about 6 mos. ago with the intentions of using as houseplant year round. I live in St. Louis, MO and have a friend here that keeps his indoors as well, and although much more mature, its healthy and looks unbelievable never spending a day of the year outdoors. Mine, while young and only a foot tall is starting to look as if its dying. The leaves were growing indoors this spring but now they are drooping and seem to be hardening to the point that I could just snap them off. I have moved the plant to a few different locations in the house for lighting and water and fertilize in accordance with all the care tips I have read online. The only reason that I have not put this tree outside is b/c I have read that it does not like temperate climates and extreme heat- which is what St. Louis is- very hot and humid in the summer but temps. can bounce all over the place. Also, the tree is not hardy here during colder months. Would it be beneficial to put this outdoors during the growing season or am I going to do it more harm. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can you post a picture? In the meantime I'd check your watering, that is one of the most common problems with houseplants. Try sticking your finger down a couple inches into the soil and see how it feels--if it's really wet or really dry then that's probably your issue. Since your friend seems to be having luck with theirs, it wouldn't hurt to check with them on what sort of lighting they have for theirs and make sure you've got similar conditions.

As far as going outside--there are some around here growing outdoors and it gets pretty hot (100+) sometimes in the summer so they can handle dry heat--not sure about humidity though. I wouldn't even think about moving it outdoors though until you figure out what's wrong with it and let it recover--changing its conditions drastically like that on top of whatever's already stressing it will not be good for it.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Also make sure your tree is not in line with your a/c vents. The cold air coming out of the vent is very dry and hard on plants. Also try to duplicate the light it received when you got it. Moving plants from location to location is hard on them, and they often respond by leaf dieback or drop. It is hard for the tree to acclimate itself to conditions if you keep changing them. Ecrane's advice on talking to your friend is excellent. You have ready access to someone who is successfully growing the same plant.

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

I would think it is your growing (indoor conditions that are giving you the problems, and from what has been mentioned earlier, it could be a number of reasons, I have one growing out in the garden, (extremely slow growing till the reach about 15 - 20 years old,
I do know they like a well drained soil and do tolerate very low temps as the same with heat in summer, when you feel ready to put outside, you could choose a more shaded area away from extreme sun, but for now, I would gently knock it out the pot and have a look at the root system, once you are sure there is nothing wrong with the soil or roots, you can then start to investigate the top growth for things like air conditions and light ect, but also as Ecrane said, look for over watering too, you should be able to tell if the soil is too wet or dry when you knock the tree /sapling out from the pot, by the size of your plant, being only a foot tall, means it is still very much a baby, means that it will be less tolerant to continuous change, maybe it has not got a good root system yet, so check all of these things, I know for the first few years, my tree lost a few lower branches before it started to grow a new leader tip, but mine is growing outdoors and is in well drained soil with leaf-mould mixed and added each autumn, after about 14 years it is only just reaching
2 1/2 feet, so it is very slow, like you, for the first few years I thought it was dying or a lost cause and it came good in the end. Hope all the comments help you out as they are lovely trees, and where they grow to their full hight of 40 - 60 ft, they really are majestic,
they originate from Chile and Argentina, so maybe that will give you an idea of temps they tolerate. best of luck. WeeNel.

Fall River, MA

I have a seedling maybe a inch and a half tall I have it in a 4 inch pot in my unheated entry way the sun comes through the window in the late afternoon so plant gets bright indirect sunlight. I water it once the soil dries out then I thoroughly water it I gonna attempt to move it outdoors first day of spring and eventually move it into full sun. I hope it dose well outdoors like all my other plants do.

Thumbnail by johnny26

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.