Penstemons

Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

I winter sow most of my perennials. I have five kinds of penstemons growing now in my gardens.

Iron Maiden.

Thumbnail by DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

penstemon hirstus.

Thumbnail by DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

Foothills penstemon. True Blue

Thumbnail by DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

Penstemon smallii.

Thumbnail by DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

Husker Red.

Thumbnail by DEMinPA
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Wonderful collection you have going! I've gotten into Penstemons the last couple of years, and have been wintersowing them as well. This year I started P.smallii, P.hirsutus, P.versuvius, Penstemon x mexicali 'Red Rocks', and another I've not been able to id yet. Red Rocks is blooming in the hot, sunny bed I've tried them in. When did you start those that have bloomed? Your P.hirsutus has me very excited to see mine bloom, and Iron Maiden and True blue are stunners!

Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

My original Husker's red was purchased at Walmart. After it bloomed the second year I had it, I collected the seeds when they were ready and then it died. I winter sowed those seeds and they are the second generation. I've had the "True Blue" for three years. I have added more plants by winter sowing the seeds. The hirsutus, Iron Maiden, and smallii were planted last year and they bloomed this year. I have already collected seeds from the True Blue. The rest aren't ready.

Don (DEMinPA)

Richmond, VA(Zone 7b)

When and how do you 'winter seed'?

Very nice collection.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

jajtiii, there's a forum devoted to Wintersowing, check out the first post where you'll see links defining the method, and all sorts of info to help get you started.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/coldsow/all/

Richmond, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the link. I will give it a shot this year and see how it goes.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

That "true blue" is so cool!!!!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I was just informed about this source from another member on another thread, and they have a great selection of Penstemons at very good prices. She said the plants she's purchased are small, but well grown.

http://shop.ebay.com/dogwooderitternet/m.html

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Have had a number of large mixed perennial beds for ten or more years. I really like penstemons and have over the years planted around twenty different penstemon cultivars and species.
Had read that penstemons have a (disputed) reputation for being short lived and, with a few notable exceptions, that has been my experience. The only ones I have had for more than a couple of years are Penstemon digitalis 'Husker's Red', P. barbatus (several cultivars) and P. pinifolius. Just got Penstemon 'Dark Towers' (introduced 2008), which looks like a large pink-flowered 'Husker's Red'. I, therefore, have high hopes for this one as a survivor.
My perennial beds are in full sun and I've upgraded the heavy clay with organic matter. Don't believe I overwater and water deep and less often, rather than small amounts of water, frequently. The beds are never waterlogged.
Penstemons are one of only a handful of dozens of common locally available perennials that I feel I've never had much success with (excepting those mentioned above). Am not sure why. Clay worked with compost might be a problem. Any further suggestions?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

SunnyBorders, when I first became interested in Penstemons, mostly the showy cultivars of P.barbatus (I think) were available, and I typically saw pics of them in European gardens or the Pacific Northwest- areas with mild summers. I had the impression for a long time they wouldn't tolerate our hot, humid summers. Then I discovered P.digitalis (the green leaved form) growing wild here in Kentucky, and did some research and found there are many species native to many varying climates. I was surprised to see how many are native to dryer, Western climates. After a couple of years of drought I started taking another look at available Penstemons, particularly after seeing the selection offered by High Country Gardens, that specializes in Xeriscape plants. In the wild, I find P.digitalis in moist ditches and low lying areas, but most species seem to prefer sharply drained soil. I'm wondering if amendments of grit or sand would be helpful for some of your Penstemons, perhaps in a raised bed? Typically its winter moisture that is a problem for plants that prefer a dryer site. The key may be to check out the native environments of the Penstemons you're trying, and then decide how well you can mimic those conditions in your garden- could be many of those native to arid climates just won't tolerate milder, moister conditions.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the info gemini_sage. Very interesting, both your experience and your suggestions. Don't think winter would be a problem, since our winters are typically quite dry. Water is typically locked in frozen soil, ice and standing snow from later Oct/early Nov into April. We typically have hot humid summers, though the soil can really dry out without attention. Our long mild moist falls might be a problem. Spring is just snow melt.

Love your info about wild growing Penstemon digitalis. It's always nice to hear about a very reliable friend!

Am sure you're right about matching species and environments.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

I just love penstemons, and am so glad to see other people talking about them! I've a growing collection too and find that they love my dry, high altitude (6600'). I really like that 'True Blue' too! The bi-tone is interesting.

I just got a newer one called 'Juicy Grape' which kind of reminds me of one of my other favorites 'Rondo mix.' They were selling it at HD of all places.

Thumbnail by art_n_garden

Here's the Rondo mix, I just love the color and the bees really love it too.

Sunny, I'm wondering if your dry winters are a problem. Do you ever water during the winter? I'm not too sure about your weather, but I have to water once or twice a month to prevent winter dessication here since our snowfall isn't heavy.

Oops, the picture!

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Penstemons are one of my favorites now. I have been rooting cuttings of them. They are so easily rooted! I just stick them in a glass of water in the window. They root within a week. They transplant with no problems too. Nothing like a good, carefree plant.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Penstemon species and cultivars cross very easily within same sections of the genus. If you are collecting seed, you may not be harvesting what you think. According to the experts, crosses usually result in drab and uninteresting results.

P. digitalis and P. barbatus are probably the most "regular" garden amenable of the species, with P. hirsutus next up. Most others need very good drainage, lean soil (not rich), full sun and heat. Lacking these requirements contributes to short lives, although many species are naturally short-lived anyway.

Penstemon grandiflorus

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Penstemon cobaea

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Penstemon hirsutus var. pygmaeus

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Penstemon palmeri

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Penstemon rupicola in a 4 inch pot

Thumbnail by Leftwood
Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the suggestion, art_n_garden.
You just pushed me to do a bit of reading on our sort of winter climate.
Apparently, our plants need antifreeze proteins in winter to prevent the (re)crystallization of ice in their tissues. Probably suggests winter dessication is not our problem.
It really sounds like you have the location, and we just don't. It's always interesting (and sobering) to hear the different possibilities and problems we gardeners have in different locations.
Love those Rondo mix colors!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

art n garden, Rondo is stunning!

Lefty, what fabulous Penstemons you have! I LOVE P.grandiflorus and P.cobaea is wonderful too! How tall is P.grandiflorus? It looks quite robust compared to others.

I have another I started from seed I'd forgotten about, called 'Sour Grapes', a hybrid with P.hirsutus parentage. I believe they were saved seed, so I'm not sure if they'll come true. Come to think of it, I have a few I started last year that haven't bloomed this year, so they may not be suited to my conditions.

Echi I had not thought of rooting them before - thanks for the heads up! I will go home and start some of my favorites today. Sunny, I'm glad you're finding more info -- I've never heard of what you're talking about, but it makes sense with the refreezing of tissue, very interesting.

Leftwood, is your P.palmeri very fragrant? I started some from seed this year and have read that they smell the most of all pentemons, so I am looking forward to it.

I wonder if this thread gets long enough if they'd think about giving us a penstemon forum ;-)
This is 'Shadow Mountain.'

(Zone 7a)

Very Very Nice! Love the collection. I have gotten into Penstemon's myself. I have quite a few collection of seeds I plan on starting. There is one growing in PA wild all over the place, on road sides, etc. I think I'll have to get out the car and see what it is. They are a pure white. That's all I know..Have any ideas what that one might be? I noticed you are in PA too..

No penstemon forum please. It would just be another forum on my watch list that rarely is used. And it's a great way to alienate the genus from people who have never heard of it. Tell me honestly, how often do you peruse the forum list and click on a genus name you've never heard of (or even one you do know, but have never gone to the forum)? Brugmansias? Daturas? Amaryllis? . . . .

Penstemon lovers can always use the DG search mode.
My 2¢.
----------------------------------------

That pic of P. grandiflorus is the best it's ever been. It grows about 3 feet, and REALLY NEEDS lean soil. In the wild here it grows in pure sand. If the soil is too rich, or it doesn't get full sun, or it is crowded by other plants, stems will tend to follow the ground even though they are easily stiff enough to to hold themselves up. It's easy to grow, but picky in these respects.

Seeds from hybrid penstemon plants will surely not produce like progeny, just as seed from hybrid tomatoes don't. However, there may be some interesting and worthy variants, but I would guess that most would be duds in a beauty contest.

Success in rooting penstemon may be dependent on time of year, as many perennials are.

P. palmeri is fragrant, easily noticed with your nose near the flower, but not overpowering like a lilac. Palmeri needs excellent drainage, full sun, and fairly dry conditions. It is one of the blue foliage species, with succulent type leaves.

Thumbnail by Leftwood
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Lefty , I was thinking the same thing about a Penstemon forum. I'm a fan of Salvias, Amaryllis, Brugs, etc., but rarely visit those forums. There are so many forums now I don't even try to keep up with them any more. Thanks for the specifics on P.grandiflorum, it sounds like a real winner, and something I need for my "pink bed" that is bone dry.

Kim, I'd bet the wild one you see is P.digitalis, that I also find growing here in Kentucky. My first Penstemons were some of those that I dug from the side of the road, I found them to be lovely and garden worthy plants. I just noticed the town you're in- and realized who you are, so good to see ya!

(Zone 7a)

Neal, Thanks! Yeah we've done some trades in the past. It was good to see you still here..I think you gave me my first trillium! ha ha. Well it Probably is the P. digitalis. But I have lots of those seeds. I'm growing two new ones for me right now (P. stapleford gem & P.eatonii)

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who isn't interested in more forums ... for the same reasons already stated.

art_n_garden, I have what I think is the Rondo, and seeing that it's thriving in your area tells me why it might not be doing so hot here. Too bad, it is really a stunner.

When I lived in Phoenix I became a big fan of the penstemons - it's one of the few species that really puts on a show out there without over watering and babying. Really great plants.

Ok ok...no penstemon forum :-) I find that we have way too many forums, too. I stick to the perennial and vines/climbers forums when it comes to most plants anyhow. I'm just glad to hear that there are more penstemon lovers out there that will answer if I post a thread!

It's too bad that the Rondo isn't doing too hot for you Pagancat - have you tried moving it around? I have a Bridge's penstemon that is just doing miserably and it's right across a sidewalk from the Rondo, I think a tiny difference between sunlight and watering, and it is floppy and sad.

Echi-I started cuttings from 4 penstemons last night! I'm excited to see what happens. If it's easy, I would love to start trading them.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Art n garden, so good to hear from other Penstemon lovers and shared experiences- it feeds my enthusiasm for the genus! I'm already seeing species I was unfamiliar with I must try. Will certainly be keeping my eye on related threads :-)

Kim, glad you're back! Did any of the Trilliums survive? I'm not living in the woods any more- now in open, sunny farmland. A whole new ball game in the garden! Gardening with sun lovers and drought resistant plants has been a lot of fun. I'm doing a lot more with seeds these days- you're one to thank for getting me started with serious seed growing! I've got several seedlings from the Nora Barlow Aquilegia growing here from the one you sent me originally :-)

(Zone 7a)

Neal...those trilliums are still there. I have to wait until Spring to find them. It's an overcrowed area with other stuff taking over! LOL

Are most Penstemon perennials? Because the 'Stapleford Gem' raises my eyebrow. I purchased this one. It is huge now and hasn't flowered. The label shows a picture of flowers like this one http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/205216/

Label says - Zone 7a Hardy. But the PF states 9b Hardy...hmmmmm

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I would think 7a is more accurate - if you go to its main PF page you can see that it has been grown successfully in Albuquerque and in Kentucky - assuming they were perennial for those folks, they are certainly zone 7 and below. I sure hope yours flowers, it looks like a gorgeous bloom.

No, I haven't tried moving it = yet. It's surrounded by some of the pinks that are doing fabulously, so....?

Nearly all penstemons are perennials, but some are short-lived, especially if the growing conditions are not austere enough.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Just wanted to add the info for the American Penstemon Society: http://www.apsdev.org/

and this Ohio State university site with lots of Penstemon FAQs:

http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~awolfe/Penstemon/Penstemon.html#bg

And nobody asked me, but I agree too about additional forums~~I love it when folks get together on the 'combined' sites like 'perennials' or 'vines' and share and trade new info about plants I wouldn't ordinarily investigate on a separate forum. More traffic on the general sites, too, which makes it more fun. (-:

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

An article on Penstemons today!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/24/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.