This is a WOW birch tree

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

I found this pretty at the local Woodsmith stores garden center.It's a variegated river birch rated zone 4 so its good and hardy here. Keeps the variegation all the time, grows quick and will get 25 feet tall here.Still has the characteristic peeling bark later on.

Kyle :-)

Thumbnail by Eclipse
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Very nice variegation pattern. Does it look like the variegation burns?

NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

That is gorgeous. I think it's called Betula Nigra "Shiloh Splash"

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Yes the cultivar is Shiloh splash, no it doesn't tend to burn in full sun unless it gets really dried out first. Looks like a great lawn tree.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Looks like you're having better luck with this beauty than I am :( Purchased my first one a few years back at an auction in KY when it was first introduced. Michael Dirr was skeptical and told me to make sure I didn't let it dry out - he was right and I lost it :( I've got 2 year old plants grown from liners that I'm holding, waiting to find the right spot in the gardens and they still look like crap! Maybe one of these days I'll find the "right spot" and will be fortunate enough to keep mine looking as healthy as yours :)

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

They do like water. Guess thats why they call em River birches....LOL :-) mine has grown in the pot. Now that I have sun in the back yard again I will plant it out there in a low spot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.